Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

US Immigration / Customs Preclearance from Mexico / Cancun?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:25 am
Original Poster

quick question about flying from Cancun.

Do you know if customs are done on the Mexico side (similar to major Canada cities) or will Cancun flights go into international terminals. Specifically asking about CUN-ORD next week.

Thanks
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
No US CBP preclearance in Cancun (or anywhere in Mexico).

https://www.cbp.gov/border-security/...s/preclearance
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WearyTravellerMSP
quick question about flying from Cancun.

Do you know if customs are done on the Mexico side (similar to major Canada cities) or will Cancun flights go into international terminals. Specifically asking about CUN-ORD next week.

Thanks
nope. Just flew out last week from CUN, Terminal 3. all your customs are handled in the US.

if you don't have Global Entry, download the US passport app. it takes the place of that paper customs form you need to fill out when you land in the US.
ibrandsguest and KBMIFlyer like this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by dc9703
nope. Just flew out last week from CUN, Terminal 3. all your customs are handled in the US.

if you don't have Global Entry, download the US passport app. it takes the place of that paper customs form you need to fill out when you land in the US.
Mobile Passport is the name..
Hopefully, it does more than just replace the paper form, unless something has changed.
In my previous experiences, you went to a separate line entrance for both Immigration control and Customs.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
If you are flying on Saturday during the big afternoon flight bank and don't have priority access at check-in (Business Class or A Advantage status), expect long check in lines and security lines at CUN.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mvoight
Mobile Passport is the name..
Hopefully, it does more than just replace the paper form, unless something has changed.
In my previous experiences, you went to a separate line entrance for both Immigration control and Customs.
can't speak for all airports. At DFW there is a different line for immigration when you have the app, but you go via the same line for customs.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
can't speak for all airports. At DFW there is a different line for immigration when you have the app, but you go via the same line for customs.
I can't remember my last international flight from DFW.. Since I now live in the area, I expect that to change. I remember avoiding big lines at MIA for Customs.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 1:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As this is not an airline specific issue, but does concern México as the originating airports to the USA as destination, it has been moved to the Mexico forum.

/Moderator

The USA has no pre-clearance agreement with Mexico; no Mexican airport offers US Immigration or Customs preclearance
Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:21 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold

Do not recall last time I used paper form. Just used the automated system at the airport.

May be different if you hsve something to declare ....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.