Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Travel warning for Playa del Carmen. Should we still go?

Old Mar 8, 18, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, LAN, HH, IHG

We have a trip booked to Cancun for the week of March 19th. We'll be staying in Cancun, but we were planning on spending one day at Xplor Park in Playa del Carmen. My husband just learned of the travel warning to PDC and he would rather skip Xplor Park. My teenage son would be sad if we couldn't make it there as that was the activity he was most looking forward to. We haven't bought the Xplor Park tickets yet. Should we go or stay in Cancun all the time? This is our first trip to Cancun. Thanks!
Old Mar 8, 18, 9:35 pm

To Xplor or not to...

Hello.

​​​​​​Last time I went to PDC I did visit xplor and it was pretty awesome. And for someone young like me, and maybe your son, it's going to be really cool. I also went to Xcaret but I found this park to be more family oriented and it had a bunch of activities that I didn't enjoy having to learn that they were payed (on top of the 90$usd entrance ticket)

Even without visiting those two or any other parks and just going to some beaches, to Tulum, a day snorkeling, isla mujeres, some cenotes, i would definitely go to PDC.

​​​​​
Old Mar 9, 18, 2:01 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by genie00 View Post
We have a trip booked to Cancun for the week of March 19th. We'll be staying in Cancun, but we were planning on spending one day at Xplor Park in Playa del Carmen. My husband just learned of the travel warning to PDC and he would rather skip Xplor Park. My teenage son would be sad if we couldn't make it there as that was the activity he was most looking forward to. We haven't bought the Xplor Park tickets yet. Should we go or stay in Cancun all the time? This is our first trip to Cancun. Thanks!

We have a house booked in a few weeks in PDC and also trying to figure out what to do. Too close to cancel and don't have any trip insurance that would cover the rental.
Old Mar 9, 18, 7:19 pm

Just back from 7 nights in Playa - Grand Hyatt. I'd go back tomorrow if I could. Felt totally safe. Good police presence in entire Cancun + Playa area. Reminded me of visiting NYC - everyone still doing their thing but feeling comfortable knowing police are around. Yes. I'd absolutely go. I used the free bikes that the Hyatt provides for guests and biked around each day while my husband snoozed or read. What a delightful place to vacation. I miss the water, the $20 massages, the wonderful people.
Old Mar 11, 18, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Ambassador
Since 2008, we have been visiting Westin Lagunamar (where my inlaws own). Personally I would stay the whole time in CUN. There is plenty to do there and the drive to PDC is not worth it. If the children are older (10+) you might consider a tour to Tulum or Chitzen Itza. Whatever you do stay away from the ferries which have been bombed and are the source of the travel warning.
We go down to Mexico every year (including 2 trips in 2017) and I am not a skittish traveler as my job requires me to visit all manner of sketchy and dangerous countries. That being said, I can see that Cabo and Cancun areas are becoming a bit more dangerous due to the narco-traffickers, which were never a major presence in these areas until the last year. I still think you are very safe if you stay in your resorts or along the hotel strip. Not ready to pull the plug yet but...
Old Mar 12, 18, 10:08 am

You might consider that the ONLY government to issue this warning is the US. I figure if it's safe enough for the rest of the world it's safe enough for me. (And let's get real Detroit makes the listing of most dangerous cities in the world, so it's not like you are perfectly safe at home either)
Old Mar 13, 18, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Worried as well about a trip to Playa del Carmen and Cancun. From today's NY Post:

https://nypost.com/2018/03/12/trouble-in-paradise-cancuns-secret-murders/
Old Mar 14, 18, 7:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The article cited says “We’ve been told that local politicians here have put the press under pressure not to report violence in this area, because if the tourists are scared away from here, it will be an economic disaster not only for Cancun, but for Mexico.”

Unfortunately, the press is somewhat captive - not to mention under threat, given the “disappearance “ and homicide rate for journalists - so there is an “iceberg effect”. Nevertheless, my family and friends still travel openly to Quintana Roo, even as they take considerable precautions with Guerrero (Acapulco, etc.) I cant comment from my current experience - I’m traveling in Costa Rica, Panamá, Colombia etc. currently. But...

see a PBS report here and Newsweek’s take here.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 14, 18 at 8:09 pm
Old Mar 16, 18, 7:44 am

The reporting in general seems somewhat sensationalized, to "sell papers", not so much to "inform" tourists.
My personal opinion about/trust in the "levels" of warning are informed by the fact that this area of Mexico now has a level 2 warning because of a rise in crime, whereas Cuba now has a higher level 3 warning for all visitors, because a handful of U.S. diplomats recently had some health problems of unknown origin.

These remarks from the PBS video are what I would be paying attention to:
"Yet the area's violence has rarely put vacationers in danger."
"So much of the violence that we’re seeing in Cancun, as opposed to other places, takes place in the periphery of the city, also on the periphery of Playa del Carmen."
But I also have been traveling solo very comfortably in Brazil for decades despite a highly publicized crime problem there in certain places. We've traveled quite a few times around the Yucatan (not to resorts) and would not hesitate to return to explore further and meet the local friends we have made.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 18, 19, 1:39 pm

Hello Genie, we recently visited Xplor with my family, we liked it a lot, it was a really nice experience and the best thing was the Xplor Fuego, I read that you had a young son, so I highly recommend you buy the night package, this is quite attractive and I assure you that they will not regret trying it, the park has great zip lines which your family will love if what they are looking for is to have new experiences and have an incredible time!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: