Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Day Trip to Tijuana - San Ysidro Border Crossing

Old Oct 29, 2022, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

There is a new "PedWest" crossing into Tijuana as of 31 July 2017.
see video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fejv0gjtAec

There is a general plan for updating and expanding the San Ysidro - Chaparral border crossing during the next few years. Be aware of pending changes.

For the pedestrian crossing between Otay Mesa and TIJ / Aeropuerto Internacional General Abelardo L. Rodríguez - Tijuana International Airport see here.

Passport
US citizens can cross the border coming back from Tijuana with a valid passport or a US passport card.

Trusted Traveler Program Cards
US Customs and Border Protection also recognizes Trusted Traveler Program Cards such as SENTRI and NEXUS. These cards serve as identification and can speed your entry into the United States.

Proof of Citizenship
Americans without passports or special documents also can return across the border from Tijuana with two proofs of citizenship, e.g. a driver's license and birth certificate.

Visa-free access
U.S. citizens do not need a visa to visit Mexico (for stays up to 6 months). Visitors entering by land and traveling farther than 20 kilometres (12 miles) into Mexico or staying longer than 72 hours must obtain a document, Forma Migratoria Multiple. The immigration official at the port of entry will stamp both halves of the form and hand you the smaller half. It’s important to keep this document safe, as you will need to surrender it when you leave Mexico.
Print Wikipost

Day Trip to Tijuana - San Ysidro Border Crossing

Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Thanks Kevin, especially for the Global Entry and taxi libre info. As for Uber, I speak reasonable Spanish and it would cost me over €13 per megabyte to roam so not really a good idea for a one day visit. Maybe if I have WiFi I will try Uber. But I don't mind that $5 will make a taxi driver happy.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks Kevin. Would I find some of those killer little restaurants and fun clubs in Zona Rio, or Centro or ???
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: 2mm+ UAL | Lifetime Titanium Marriott | Globalist Hyatt | SpireElite IHG
Honestly, they are scattered everywhere, but as an example, here's how good it is.
What Zona? You ready? How about a Zona...Gastronomica!
The city worked with local chefs to upscale an area with sidewalks, lights, and is the new cool place to eat
Probably 12 great restos in a 3block radius.

A few places we recommend highly:
* higher end: Misión 19 & La Querencia in ZG, Verde y Crema just outside of it, Caesar's (yes that one, on Revu. It's actually amazing)
* mid-range:Takesos & Papas, Tortas Wash (named after an old car wash)

* doesn't fit in a range but is seriously bad-...: Telefonica Gastro Park.
If you only went one place, I'd recommend here. Encompasses most of what I love about TJ F&B scene right now:

One of our favourite places in Tijuana to go eat. Is pretty much a square city block, walled off, and in side, picnic benches surrounded by multiple chefs set up in “food trucks”, in quotes because they are all sunk in cement so are permanent, allowing for mini-restos for adventurous young chefs at a fraction of the cost of opening a full resto. Whole hog smokers sit next to artisanal breadmakers and fresh seafood grills. Epic place, and our first stop once across the border.
https://mamalikestocook.com/telefoni...ijuana-mexico/
http://agringoinmexico.com/2017/07/1...-park-tijuana/
acarson likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tried the PedWest in both directions and it is indeed faster. However it is a MUCH longer walk. Take notice if you have mobility issues. Walking into Mexico, there was a line of people backed up. I thought that was weird, but I waited. Then another guy came up behind me griping about "los chinos" and just pushed past everyone and walked in. I then realized that the wait was for a group of Asian people who had to deal with visas. So I too just walked past it all and right into Mexico. The Mexican immigration officers did not even look up as I walked past them.

On the way back there was a long line, but they had a separate aisle for Global Entry without any line so that took all of a few seconds to get back into the US.

BTW taxis now cost US$7 from PedWest to town and an Uber cost over $8.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA
Used "PedWest" (Cruce Peatonal Oeste) to return to the US from Tijuana this past weekend and it was definitely a lot faster than going the other way. There's some sort of construction going on at the "main" crossing and there's no "Ready Line" if you have the passport card.

However, there was a glitch. The Mexican exit facility wasn't staffed at the time I went through, which means I still had the FMM when I got back into the US. According to what I was able to find online, people either just throw it out, or mail it to an address in Mexico that one of the insurance agencies used to post. I just mailed it off today so hopefully it makes it back over there and I don't end up having a major problem if I ever choose to go back sometime. Literally every other thing I read about Mexico says something different, so it could be considered anything from a non-issue to a major offense.

There was some sort of temporary office sitting outside, the Módulo de Atención al Migrantes, but it appeared to be closed as well. Perhaps I should have knocked on the door.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Mobility issues

Hello. Logistic question here:
Arriving into SAN at15:15. Taking bus to TJ blue trolley. Needing to go to Gusher Farmacia in Rio Mall for approx. 30 mins shop. I have mobility problems and need to minimize walking. For that reason, I was planning on using immigration Este, and not Pedwest.. Then either cabify, Uber or taxi to Gusher Rio. I have flight out of SAN at 22:00 with TSA PRECHECK.On return, trolley to bus to airport. Is this doable with the time constraints? This will be on Tuesday afternoon/evening. Also, I am holding GlobalEntry. Any caveats or suggestions? Thanks.

ADD: UBER shows routing directly from Gusher-Rio to SAN Airport for about 13USD. .
If accurate, I'll take Uber from Rio Mall to Airport. How is border crossing done with Uber? Has anyone done Uber from TJ to San Diego direct?

Last edited by cagcag; Apr 1, 2018 at 1:26 pm
Old Apr 5, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cagcag
Hello. Logistic question here:
Arriving into SAN at15:15. Taking bus to TJ blue trolley. Needing to go to Gusher Farmacia in Rio Mall for approx. 30 mins shop. I have mobility problems and need to minimize walking. For that reason, I was planning on using immigration Este, and not Pedwest.. Then either cabify, Uber or taxi to Gusher Rio. I have flight out of SAN at 22:00 with TSA PRECHECK.On return, trolley to bus to airport. Is this doable with the time constraints? This will be on Tuesday afternoon/evening. Also, I am holding GlobalEntry. Any caveats or suggestions? Thanks.

ADD: UBER shows routing directly from Gusher-Rio to SAN Airport for about 13USD. .
If accurate, I'll take Uber from Rio Mall to Airport. How is border crossing done with Uber? Has anyone done Uber from TJ to San Diego direct?
Plan for the trip from the airport to the border (and vice versa) to take around an hour by public transit:

Additionally, it's currently about a 40-50 minute wait (as of 3PM Pacific) to go back over the border by car into the US unless you happen to have SENTRI, assuming there are no issues; it's a bit less time if you walk over. I think you'd be okay but I'll defer to others with more experience to give their advice.

EDIT: it's not letting me link public transit directions but clicking through on the map above should let you change the options to see those.
JDiver and cagcag like this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:24 pm

As a local, I would recommend avoiding TJ. It has been years since it was truly safe, and it has gotten to the point where we wont go at all. No amount of cheap crap is worth it. If you are going for the night life, its an even bigger risk.

10 years ago I would go to TJ almost every weekend, but too many close calls and bad policia experiences have turned me off. Food for thought.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by darwin503
As a local, I would recommend avoiding TJ. It has been years since it was truly safe.
I would have to disagree, based on my visit. And the fact that I know that many American cities like Chicago or LA are vastly more dangerous than TJ. I had a great time, including an interaction with the police. I walked out of a bar with a can of beer in my hand, as I used to do long ago in TJ, and I saw two armed police officers standing in front of a food cart. I figured the police know where the good food is and they indeed did. The shrimp taco I had was so delicious. But one of the officers said "you know it is illegal to have a beer outside of the bar, right? I could give you a ticket". I apologized for my error and tossed the can, which was nearly empty anyways, into the trash. And we continued to enjoy our tacos.

Note that this was early in the evening and I expect that things probably get rowdy after midnight, especially on a weekend. So avoid the busy bar areas after midnight and you should be very safe. Or safer than most US cities anyways.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Taking the family to San Diego for some sunshine in Feb. Considering a trip to Tijuana, possibly overnight. Hyatt Place seems neat at 5000 points a night. I have very little idea about its location and am wondering if it is a good choice.

In addition:

Prior to that we are staying at the Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Spa and Marina. Would it be better to drive to the US border from San Diego or are we better off taking a taxi or (luggage permitting) other public transportation?
What is the best way to get to the Hyatt Place once we cross the border?
Also, will Global Entry work on the US border on the return to expedite the crossing?

Many thanks in advance for the advice.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by knit-in
Would it be better to drive to the US border from San Diego or are we better off taking a taxi or (luggage permitting) other public transportation?
IMHO you'd be happier to find your car waiting for you after you cross the border. Especially with family. It's not too expensive to park right there.

Also, will Global Entry work on the US border on the return to expedite the crossing?
Yes, but there's no scanner. You just hand your card to the officer who will quickly welcome you in. There is a special line so don't wait in the long line.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by stimpy
IMHO you'd be happier to find your car waiting for you after you cross the border. Especially with family. It's not too expensive to park right there.

Yes, but there's no scanner. You just hand your card to the officer who will quickly welcome you in. There is a special line so don't wait in the long line.
Thank you. This is very helpful. When you say happier after we come back to the US, do you mean that calling an Uber to the border is harder? Although, I will most probably be renting a car since we are staying the following two days at the Hyatt in La Jolla (as things stand), I'm not very fond of driving on vacation, so just want to weigh my choices.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:58 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by stimpy
I thought only the "Sentri" card was good from Mexico? Or is that not the case anymore?
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by knit-in
Thank you. This is very helpful. When you say happier after we come back to the US, do you mean that calling an Uber to the border is harder? Although, I will most probably be renting a car since we are staying the following two days at the Hyatt in La Jolla (as things stand), I'm not very fond of driving on vacation, so just want to weigh my choices.
It was just IMHO. If you prefer Uber I guess that would work fine too. There could be one issue with Uber though. I noticed that when I crossed the border into the US my phone was still connected to Telmex rather than switching over to a US carrier. I had to drive a good ways before I could connect and use data. YMMV.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HotelHacker
I thought only the "Sentri" card was good from Mexico? Or is that not the case anymore?
Most of the signs say Sentri, but Global Entry works as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.