FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mexico (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico-480/)
-   -   Is there any legitimate risk in working in Mexico City? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico/1887851-there-any-legitimate-risk-working-mexico-city.html)

RangerNS Jan 11, 2018 9:47 am

Is there any legitimate risk in working in Mexico City?

Serious question: Is there any legitimate risk in working in Mexico City? For the Mexican government?

There is a 16 week opportunity. Others seem nervous about it.

Adam Smith Jan 11, 2018 10:58 am

Originally Posted by RangerNS (Post 29279492)
Serious question: Is there any legitimate risk in working in Mexico City? For the Mexican government?

Risk in what sense? Personal security?

jaysona Jan 11, 2018 11:13 am

Originally Posted by RangerNS (Post 29279492)

There is a legitimate risk in working anywhere in the world, you did not mention the type of risk you are concerned about.

These are the people you should be asking about risks in Mexico.
https://www.controlrisks.com/

yyznomad Jan 11, 2018 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith (Post 29279807)
Risk in what sense? Personal security?

Risk of not being able to find rare Pokémon Go Pokémons.

yyznomad Jan 11, 2018 11:18 am

@SparseFlyer : Love your posts BTW. Big fan.

Just wanted to let you know.

SparseFlyer Jan 11, 2018 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 29279911)
@SparseFlyer : Love your posts BTW. Big fan.

Just wanted to let you know.

Hey thanks!

JDiver Jan 12, 2018 12:29 am

Your tourist visa specifically stipulates no employment / remunerative activities. It’s just as illegal for a visitor with a tourist permit to work in Mexico as it is for a visitor with a tourist visa to engage in remunerative activities / work in the USA.

You can endure some unpleasantness (jail) until it’s sorted and you pay a fine, and you could be deported under Article 33 of the Mexican Constitution - 24 hours to get yourself and your goods out, probably barred from future travel to Mexico. Mexican law is based on Napoleonic code, and those accused have fewer rights than those accused under English Common
Law in the US or U.K.

Is the risk high? That might depend. One man I knew who got Article 33d was informed on by a work colleague who resented him. I’ve known some others who have had a gig of a few weeks or months work out - though it was a but stressful because of the illegality. Going down for a few days as a presenter or consultant is probably safer, particularly if you get paid outside of Mexico.

Of course, if your employer secures a work permit for you, no hay problema.

RangerNS Jan 12, 2018 8:17 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 29282697)
Of course, if your employer secures a work permit for you, no hay problema.

It would be working with the Mexican government. Paperwork isn't a concern.

Section 107 Jan 12, 2018 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS (Post 29283734)

OP, you still havent answered the question about what sort of risk(s) you are concerned about. If you give us some context then we can give some opinion/advice.

JDiver Jan 12, 2018 11:13 pm

Then, as I said, there shouldn’t be much of a problem. in terms of legality. Though if it’s the PRD government in Mexico City, working for one entity before elections and trying to get paid after a change in administration, etc. there may be some dodgy payment issues. It’s not, IMO, as sure as I did, consulting and training for USDOD, CA CHP, etc.

But I’d do more research, because this is a destination forum, and we still don’t know what risk you’re concerned about.

pharmawalk Jan 15, 2018 12:38 pm

Think the OP is worried about risks such as being kidnapped, robbed, killed.

JDiver Jan 20, 2018 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by pharmawalk (Post 29296103)
Think the OP is worried about risks such as being kidnapped, robbed, killed.

The biggest risk in CDMX is being robbed. One can be pickpocketed, assaulted on foot or in one’s car. E.g. if you have your iPhone to use Waze in your car and it’s visible, it’s possible to be forced to hand it over at gunpoint. They will probably tell you to open your trunk as well. This can be at stoplights, in congested traffic. High chances, no, but chances. Just checked with my family in CDMX yesterday.

And the State of Mexico is a hot spot. Mexico’s homicide rate is the highest it has been in 20ywars. .

TomMM Jan 20, 2018 5:52 pm

What kind of work? If you are going to help the government find drug dealers, yes its risky.