Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Guanajuato/Queretaro/San Miguel de Allende

Guanajuato/Queretaro/San Miguel de Allende

Old Jan 9, 18, 10:32 am
MTC
Original Poster

Programs: Aegean Flying Blue
Post #1 ) We are planning to visit Granajuato,Queretaro and San Miguel de Allende, flying into Mexico City, then drive to these places. However, from reading the posts on FT, I understand that a car is not necessary.
My questions: 1. What airport would you fly into from Houston?
2. How does one get from one town to the next?
3. How many days should one plan for each town?
Very much appreciate any input. Thanks!

Post #2 ) (Oops! This thread was mistakenly posted on another forum! Apologies!)

We are planning to visit Guanajuato, Queretaro and San Miguel de Allende flying into Mexico City, then drive to these places. However, from reading the posts on FT, I understand that a car is not necessary.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 14, 18 at 7:58 am Reason: Merge posts / threads
Old Jan 9, 18, 11:19 am

Programs: AC*A
Not sure what this has anything to do with AC/AE. Perhaps the Mexico forum is the best place for this.
Old Jan 9, 18, 1:15 pm

Programs: AC E35K (*S), WS Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by MTC View Post
We are planning to visit Granajuato,Queretaro and San Miguel de Allende, flying into Mexico City, then drive to these places. However, from reading the posts on FT, I understand that a car is not necessary.
1. I did this exact trip last year to visit a friend. I flew into BJX (Leon, Guanajuato). As you have already figured out you fly to IAH, and from there, there are direct flights to BJX on UA express. There are also flights from LAX. When booking the flights I would recommend booking on United.com as the BJX flights have an AC code on aircanada.com making them much more expensive.
2. I stayed in Leon with a friend then drove around to all these cities. In your case I would recommend renting a car, or looking for a tour that covers these places.
3. I would say you can cover these towns pretty well in 1/2 days. I spent around 8 hours in San Miguel de Allende, and Guanajuato and that was sufficient to see the main sights, however there was definitely more in depth things that I could have done to fill time.
Old Jan 9, 18, 1:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan & Manufactured Spending

Exclamation

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Not sure what this has anything to do with AC/AE. Perhaps the Mexico forum is the best place for this.
Agreed and so to the Mexico forum the thread's been moved.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator

Last edited by tcook052; Jan 9, 18 at 3:59 pm
Old Jan 10, 18, 12:13 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by MTC View Post
(Oops! This thread was mistakenly posted on another forum! Apologies!)

We are planning to visit Guanajuato, Queretaro and San Miguel de Allende flying into Mexico City, then drive to these places. However, from reading the posts on FT, I understand that a car is not necessary.

The closest airports to San Miguel are QRO and BJX. BJX has more flights but is about 15-20 minutes farther; expect RT fare from IAH to BJX to be about $475, from IAH to QRO to be about $500.

If cost is a concern, then consider taking a bus from MEX. airfare from IAH to MEX is about $215 RT. From MEX you may take very nice buses (reserved, lie-flat seats,) with tickets costing in the neighborhood of $20-$30 depending on the company and class of service. the trip by bus from MEX to QRO is about 3 hours.

There is a wiki about bus travel in Mexico on this forums main page but note that not all links are current.
Old Jan 15, 18, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
I've flown into Leon (BJX) and driven to San Miguel de Allende and back. It wasn't a problem in my case. My parents live in SMA and offered this advice: "when driving in the mountains just keep your eye out for road blocks by banditos".
Old Feb 4, 18, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
I flew into BJX and took a taxi to Guanajuato. I happily spent several days in Guanajuato -- there is a lot there. From there I did a day trip to San Miguel de Allende by taking the bus. It was easy, nicely maintained coaches and you get a snack. There is wifi aboard though it worked poorly. I forget how much, but it was cheap. About 1.5 hours each way. The bus station in Guanajuato is a bit outside of the main town, so it was a taxi ride to/from.

Search this Thread