Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Minors travelling to Mexico

Minors travelling to Mexico

Old Sep 14, 17, 1:44 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1
Question Minors travelling to Mexico

I'm just curious if its okay for a 17 year old (18 in 3 months) to travel alone to Mexico for vacation for 6 days.... I see everywhere that he needs a signed document from parents if he resides there, but its only for vacation. So I'm assuming he's in the clear... Please if anyone knows let me know ASAP as the trip is next week.
zuzia0313 is offline  
Old Sep 15, 17, 10:17 pm
  #2  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 61,524
Originally Posted by zuzia0313 View Post
I'm just curious if its okay for a 17 year old (18 in 3 months) to travel alone to Mexico for vacation for 6 days.... I see everywhere that he needs a signed document from parents if he resides there, but its only for vacation. So I'm assuming he's in the clear... Please if anyone knows let me know ASAP as the trip is next week.
A letter of permission to travel alone in Mexico and to secure medical care or assistance could prove useful, IMO.
JDiver is offline  
Old Sep 16, 17, 8:34 am
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 88,319
Originally Posted by zuzia0313 View Post
I'm just curious if its okay for a 17 year old (18 in 3 months) to travel alone to Mexico for vacation for 6 days.... I see everywhere that he needs a signed document from parents if he resides there, but its only for vacation. So I'm assuming he's in the clear... Please if anyone knows let me know ASAP as the trip is next week.
Such a parental-authorization document may be useful but it's not always required in practice. But there are enough times when it is required (even if it shouldn't be) that having it may avoid some hassles during the travel attempt:

https://mx.usembassy.gov/implementat...-minor-travel/
GUWonder is offline  
Old Sep 16, 17, 1:42 pm
  #4  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 61,524
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Such a parental-authorization document may be useful but it's not always required in practice. But there are enough times when it is required (even if it shouldn't be) that having it may avoid some hassles during the travel attempt:

https://mx.usembassy.gov/implementat...-minor-travel/
Exactly. A gram of prevention... and minors who are detained are (certainly at age 17) treated like adults in terms of detention at the police or jail level, etc.
JDiver is offline  
Old Sep 22, 17, 7:27 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: NYC, USA
Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, SPG Gold, MR Gold, HH Gold
Posts: 10,434
YES--definitely get a notarized letter of authorization signed by BOTH parents. When I was a teenager (ages 14-17 in the 1990s), I traveled alone to Mexico every summer to meet up with my parents who were already there. Without fail, the airline ALWAYS asked to see my notarized letter at the ticket counter every time. Immigration (INM) officers never asked to see the letter when I arrived, but the airline would not have allowed me to board the international flight to Mexico without the letter.

Unlike the process for some other LatAm countries, in my experience, the letter did not need to be in Spanish or authenticated at a Mexican consulate, BUT.... it did need to include specific dates of travel and be signed by both custodial parents in the presence of a notary.

I highly recommend preparing the letter.


*NB: I am not an attorney and the above does not constitute legal advice.
ESpen36 is offline  
Old Sep 25, 17, 12:21 pm
  #6  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 61,524
Originally Posted by ESpen36 View Post
YES--definitely get a notarized letter of authorization signed by BOTH parents. When I was a teenager (ages 14-17 in the 1990s), I traveled alone to Mexico every summer to meet up with my parents who were already there. Without fail, the airline ALWAYS asked to see my notarized letter at the ticket counter every time. Immigration (INM) officers never asked to see the letter when I arrived, but the airline would not have allowed me to board the international flight to Mexico without the letter.

Unlike the process for some other LatAm countries, in my experience, the letter did not need to be in Spanish or authenticated at a Mexican consulate, BUT.... it did need to include specific dates of travel and be signed by both custodial parents in the presence of a notary.

I highly recommend preparing the letter.


*NB: I am not an attorney and the above does not constitute legal advice.
Yep. I did much the same, in the opposite direction. No apostille, just the letter from both custodial parents (or copy of official document certifying the sole custodian's status as such).
JDiver is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread