Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seeking advice re long layover options in Mexico City

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2017, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Seeking advice re long layover options in Mexico City

My wife and I might be flying through Mexico City on the way back from Europe next July. Our Alaska Airlines flight from Mexico City to San Francisco would leave at 3:15 pm. We would be arriving on a different airline ticket (Lufthansa) at Mexico City at either about 6:30 pm the previous day or 4 am the same day. (The different tickets are because it's a mileage awards thing.) A few questions:

1. If we were to arrive at 6:30 pm, is the traffic manageable enough that we could get into town fairly easily by taxi? About how long might it take to get to a hotel location where we'd be within walking distance of doing a bit of worthwhile exploring that evening or the next morning?
2. If we were to arrive at 4 am, is there a lounge or someplace to freshen up at that hour and to hang out until our departing flight?
3. Also if we to arrive at 4 am, is it worthwhile to head into town to explore a bit?
4. Any particular area(s) in town to focus on for either of these options?
5. Any other advice is more than welcome.

Thanks!
Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:16 am

The historic center is reachable in about 30-40 minutes at most times of day. There are interesting sights there that are walkable. Take a look at a guidebook.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
You will hate yourself if you arrive at 4am and spend the day at the airport. I haven't departed T1 (AS) in years (that will change soon), but you will go stir crazy, even with lounge access.

I'm no grand expert on the city, but I'd suggest you get a room in/near Zona Rosa, Polanco or Roma (and possibly the Centro Historico) and walk around at night with relative safety, and plenty of dining options. The reason to stay in the Centro is that the next morning you can have an interesting walk. The reason not to stay there is at night, the more you wander too far one way or the other ... not recommended.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:02 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
I have booked AM ticket with long overnight layover outbound, arriving either 5:20pm (from MCO) or 7:15pm (from JFK), going to SCL next morning 10am.

Either option is OK but is it better to arrive sooner like 5:20pm so I can get to Centro sooner?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.