Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

11 years old child entering Mexico without parents

11 years old child entering Mexico without parents

Old Jul 28, 17, 7:18 am
Original Poster
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2
11 years old child entering Mexico without parents

Hi, we are Japanese cietizens, and we are planing to visit México, but entering in diferent dates and routes. My son is 11 years old and i need to know wich documents are required? Like return ticket, letter from both parent, birth certificate, etc? Thanks
Miwa Om is offline  
Old Jul 28, 17, 8:29 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 61,520
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

We have moved your post from the Technical Support and Feedback to the Mexico forum.

First, I would recommend using IATA TIMATIC, used by the airlines to determine if documentation is sufficient to fly: TIMATIC (link) via United Airlines.

TIMATIC states, in part:

The following regulations apply to children/minors:

Passport not required for alien minors (up to/incl.17 years of age) registered in their parent/guardian passport, provided traveling with the passport holder.
If the child is entering alone, an adult person should meet the child.

However, you may be traveling through a third country, e.g. the USA, that may have different requirements and will require documentation - the USA does not offer international transit and all connecting passengers must have permission to enter the USA. The TIMATIC printout specifies further.

We have a thread here that will answer most of your questions. I recommend reading it; it contains a lot of useful i and contains links to resources.

Requirements for visiting Mexico as a tourist (FMM, "tourist card", visa, etc.).

A return ticket must be held; those without one may be denied entry to Mexico.

Your child should have a notarized letter, preferably in Spanish, with the authorization of the non-traveling parent to avoid any issues with The Hague convention on children abduction. It may not be requested, but on the other hand it is required under the treaty. If the child is flying alone, the letter should include both parents' authorization, and ideally name the person(s) in Mexico who would be responsible for the child.

JDiver, Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 28, 17 at 8:38 am
JDiver is offline  
Old Jul 28, 17, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 83,834
If the son will enter by plane, you should check on airline unaccompanied minor rules.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Jul 28, 17, 8:41 am
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: WAS via RDU, FLL, PHL and TYO
Programs: UA Silver (working on Gold), Hilton Dia, Marriott Plat, Radisson Gold, Hertz 5*
Posts: 3,855
You could call the Mexican embassy or consulate that covers your home area. They can tell you exactly what you need. <redacted>

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 29, 17 at 9:14 am Reason: Edited for accuracy and removing meta
joejones is online now  
Old Jul 28, 17, 1:59 pm
Original Poster
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2
Thank you só much for all the replie!!!
Miwa Om is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread