Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

CUN / Cancun area Zika concern?

Old Dec 19, 16, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

HI all - 2 prefaces: 1) figured to post here, but if it belongs elsewhere, please by all means move and 2) I recognize this is a personal decision involving risk, etc, but coming to get some group thoughts

Have a trip to the Hyatt Ziva Cancun in mid-January. We have a 1.5 year old and wife isn't pregnant, but we are thinking of expanding - and concerned about Ziva. Both wife and I are really not sure how to proceed. Her OB says if worried don't go, obviously.

I called the hotel, they said the beach isn't an issue and they spray weekly areas on the grounds and provide bug spray.

CDC website really isn't reliable.

On another post a few threads down, I found this link:
http://www.epidemiologia.salud.gob.m...isos/zika.html
Which leads to this PDF of a county by county confirmed case list:
http://www.epidemiologia.salud.gob.m...SEM48_2016.pdf (as of Dec 12 '16)

Cancun is in QR, I believe, which has 306 confirmed cases in pregnant women (out of 347 total). But also I know CUN is not like the rest of QR.... but am I just telling myself that?

Obviously, if we go, high % DEET spray will be with us always - but what am I missing? Are any of you in the same boat? Anyone there recently at the hotel/resort zone and can report on mosquitoes in general? Hotel preparedness?

Thanks - just hoping to get some thoughts - positive and negative from out there - I know we need to make the call, but ... you know... I "trust" this community for generally being well informed.
Old Dec 19, 16, 8:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
This is a tough one. If your wife was pregnant I would say avoid but otherwise I would just follow all the precautions. I would advise to make some research about the actual risks as well. I'm from Canada, and the government here has some statements advising pregnant woman and woman looking to get pregnant soon to avoid travel, but when digging into all their info, I found some very interesting statements such as

"For women planning a pregnancy, it is strongly recommended that you wait at least 2 months before trying to conceive to ensure that any possible Zika virus infection has cleared your body." (Link)
and also this

"Zika virus usually remains in the blood of an infected person for about a week. There is currently no evidence that the virus:
will cause infections in a baby conceived after the virus is cleared from the blood of an infected mother
poses a risk of birth defects for future pregnancies
" LINK

Be aware that men the period is 6 months!

347 cases of Zika does not sound to high, considering there are around 28 k births per year (I googled that) , the risk of pregnant women living in the area is let's say 1%. You are there for a week, so I would guess it's even lower just for that very fact. Let's look at the worst case scenario and let's say the unluckly pregnant tourist gets it...it's also worth to look at the number of zika related birth defects, which is significantly lower anywhere outside Brazil (apparently experts still don't know why). That's assuming you get it while pregnant. If you avoid pregnancy 2 months after coming back, the probability should be even lower.

Again, these are just numbers I quickly googled, but this is my though process when evaluating the risks. I will let you do your own research and arrive to your own conclusions. In the other hand if you think you won't enjoy the trip because of stress or worrying, maybe peace of mind would be more valuable to you

Cheers!
Old Dec 20, 16, 1:23 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Dia
If you are seriously considering getting pregnant in the next year I would avoid QR. I love the area very much and hate to discourage tourism but Zika has been very underreported. On Isla Mujeres there were several cases of people I knew personally and it was never counted and reported in the statistics.
Old Dec 20, 16, 8:51 am
Original Poster

I've also been concerned about <b>bzbdewd</b>'s note above - under-reporting. I've read a lot about that in South America.

To be clear - our plan would be to stay in the resort at all time (4 days) and not leave for any excursions, etc.
Old Dec 20, 16, 10:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by bzbdewd View Post
If you are seriously considering getting pregnant in the next year I would avoid QR. I love the area very much and hate to discourage tourism but Zika has been very underreported. On Isla Mujeres there were several cases of people I knew personally and it was never counted and reported in the statistics.
Unfortunately, Mexico has a vested interest in underreporting these things. Years ago it was cholera in Acapulco, more recently dengue and Zika. Now: the Aedes mosquitos that carry Zika abc dengue are definitely abundant in Quintana Roo. Nichupté Lagoon (the Cancún hotel area made a letter D hook around it) is great for breeding mosquitos, as are discarded old tires and other household debris that holds water.

I was bitten by hundreds of mozzies a few years ago south of Cancún - and got dengue. If you go, the CDC Zika Mexico page in fact has a lot of good information and advice on Zika and how to prevent mosquito bites. Permethrin for your clothes, long sleeves and pants, etc. other than when you're on the beach area with good winds, etc.
Old Dec 21, 16, 5:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Do you think it makes a difference for those traveling to Riviera Maya? which is away from the Lagoon?

Search this Thread