Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Will transiting without a visa in Mexico City be an issue given this unique situation

Will transiting without a visa in Mexico City be an issue given this unique situation

Old Dec 8, 16, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Ok, I'll try to explain this as simply as possible.

My wife is an Indonesian citizen, and thus needs a visa to enter Mexico. I am American, but she doesn't hold a US visa/green card, nor a schengen visa.

We are applying for a Mexican tourist visa for her next week ,and are fairly confident she will be approved.

The flight we are looking at is IST (Istanbul) - LHR (London) - MEX (Mexico City). We are planning to book a round trip ticket, since it's only a few dollars more expensive than the one-way.

Here's where it gets tricky - we need to go to Colombia about 2 months into our stay in Mexico and will be in Colombia for about 2 months. The tickets to and from Colombia will be on a separate booking.

Will she have any troubles transiting back through Mexico City on the return leg on a separate booking from Bogota to Mexico City?

I have read some horror stories about trying to transit without a visa through Mexico City and just wanted to confirm that this was possible before making the booking, rather than face a nasty surprise when trying to board our return flight.
Old Dec 8, 16, 3:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
How long is the Mexican visa valid for?
Old Dec 8, 16, 3:39 am
Original Poster

We will be applying for the visa next week, so not sure yet. I would imagine it would be 90-180 days, though have no reason to believe it would be multiple entry
Old Dec 8, 16, 9:08 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by diginomad813 View Post
We will be applying for the visa next week, so not sure yet. I would imagine it would be 90-180 days, though have no reason to believe it would be multiple entry
What kind of visa do you expect to receive? The Mexico tourist visa is generally multiple entry for (up to) 180 days, normally. Ask at the Embassy of Consulate.
Old Dec 8, 16, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
What kind of visa do you expect to receive? The Mexico tourist visa is generally multiple entry for (up to) 180 days, normally. Ask at the Embassy of Consulate.
That's great to know! I'm possibly getting some of the terms confused as I've read you need to turn in your FTM (or FMM?) at the airport when you leave, which I had assumed canceled your visa. If it's multiple entry though, that solves the problem entirely.

Will ask at the embassy during her interview.

Search this Thread