Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Taxis, Uber and Other Livery in Mexico City - Safe?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taxis, Uber and Other Livery in Mexico City - Safe?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2017, 1:22 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by ashley kramer
It's really easy to use, convenient, less expensive than local taxis, and safe.

Just be careful - the drivers are pretty unethical. More than half of our drivers didn't turn the meter off when the ride ended so we were slightly overcharged. $1 here and there isn't a big deal, except when our driver who took us to the airport drove all the way back to the city without turning the meter off costing us more than double our ride. After reaching out to Uber, they said the driver told them that we needed to go back to the hotel to get our passports which was a total lie - if that was the case, why wouldn't he have brought us back to the airport again to make our flight??

Lesson learned: make sure your driver turns off the meter.
Ha thats interesting. I guess that is the downside of less developed countries, you will get more people who will scam you.

I'm surprised Uber believed that taxi driver's story over yours.

I did get an Uber from Centro Historico to the airport at 6am once and it was only the equivalent of $2(not that it is very far). Overall I've had no problems using Uber in Mexico city. Generally I thought the city and country is a lot safer than it is made out to be, e.g. I felt perfectly safe walking around Mexico City Centro Historico at 1am alone, mostly because there is Police everywhere.

Other cities in latin America felt a lot less safe. Quito, I'm looking at you.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 5:17 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Enigma368
Overall I've had no problems using Uber in Mexico city. Generally I thought the city and country is a lot safer than it is made out to be, e.g. I felt perfectly safe walking around Mexico City Centro Historico at 1am alone, mostly because there is Police everywhere.
That's similar to my experience.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 1:55 pm

Since Uber shows the amount charged before the ride, I haven't had any overcharging issues. It's super cheap and has been convenient and reliable from my experience.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 3:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I've been in Mexico City this weekend. So far I've ridden in half a dozen Ubers and every single one was a new model car that was clean and comfortable with a polite driver who drove safely.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 6:36 pm

I've been to CDMX almost a dozen times, and have used Uber several times each trip. I've not had a bad experience. The cars were clean, the drivers courteous. On the contrary, I have had some not so great Uber experiences here in the US, in several metropolitan areas.

In CDMX I also take the metro, the metrobus, and sitio cabs; but find Uber the most comfortable way of getting around the city. Often the drivers will tell you about the neighborhoods you are driving through - the most interesting travelogue was through Tepito!
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:46 am

Just for information, the alternative to Uber in Mexico is Spain-based Cabify. Works in the same manner, and since Cabify traditionally catered to businesses rather than individuals, it has a better reputation among drivers & passengers. Tends to be a little more expensive than Uber, but supposedly you get a more rigorously screened driver/car.
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by jac162
I've been to CDMX almost a dozen times, and have used Uber several times each trip. I've not had a bad experience. The cars were clean, the drivers courteous.
Also drivers are much braver navigating multi-directional glorietas than I ever could!
Old Nov 22, 2021, 1:00 pm
dr

Q about arrivals in MEX

I am going tomorrow arriving on (yuck) Volaris from SJD which I believe is terminal 2 for non international flights. Where do Ubers meet you? Can I accommodate 7 people or do I need 2 ubers? Uber vs Cabify?
Old May 3, 2022, 10:20 am

I'm just going to add to this thread, with my impression of some other services we used in MEX (as well as GDL):

Uber--typically the most expensive service. Quite a range of surge pricing. Your choice between all the uber bells and whistles (black / "comfort" / etc). Typically results in finding a ride, even if it's at 4x the going rate. With the basic Uber X, there's no telling what you'll get--lots of variability in the cars. Uber has a bad habit of charging more to your card than they advertise when you request the ride, so rider beware. I don't think it's the drivers, but rather the app.

Cabify--another app. Usually less expensive than Uber. You can request a larger 5-seater. Lets you request a taxi (still prepaid through the app). During busy periods they don't seem to surge their pricing as much, which can result in inability to find a ride. High variability in the quality of ride you get. The drivers are all fine/great IME, but the cars can vary tremendously. Quite a pain, as the app leads you to believe you're in a queue, but in my experience, if the app tells you you'll be queueing for 5 minutes, it won't result in a ride. We used cabify when we were feeling stingy, as well as during non-peak times.

Didi--another rideshare app. Only installed it at Guadalajara when Cabify was having issues and Ubers were taking forever to accept our ride from the airport. But we got a ride in seconds, and it's far cheaper than Uber, and even Cabify. Whenever we had disputes over the cost, the app quickly handled it by issuing a credit, etc. Wish we'd used this in MEX. Again, though, high variability in the quality car you'll get.

Beat--our favorite, and I wish we'd installed this sooner! Only in CDMX currently. You can select a Tesla (model 3) or "Zero" (a similarly sized JAC EV sedan). Zero pricing is quite similar to Uber, or better. These drivers are employees of the company, very professional. Always AC vehicles. Wifi/bluetooth/etc in the cars. High level experience. When they accept a ride they actually show up. Highly recommended. *Beat also has other tiers of more typical ridesharing, with very competitive pricing. Also, when the system is busy, it'll tell you so rather than lead you on. We had less experience using these, as by the time we installed Beat we were jaded with lack of AC in typical Uber/Cabify cars, and were willing to splurge the extra $3 USD to ride in luxury. With any Beat, if the system is busy, it pays to keep requesting your ride, rather than simply giving up.

p.s. we had zero experience just hailing a cab on the street--I always prefer to know the cost / timing to get somewhere ahead of time, especially when traffic can vary so much in CDMX. Also, don't hesitate to try out the subway system: felt safe/secure, reliable, quick, and super cheap (5 pesos). It gets warm down there, though.
Old May 4, 2022, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by jnagar
I'm just going to add to this thread, with my impression of some other services we used in MEX (as well as GDL):

Uber--typically the most expensive service. Quite a range of surge pricing. Your choice between all the uber bells and whistles (black / "comfort" / etc). Typically results in finding a ride, even if it's at 4x the going rate. With the basic Uber X, there's no telling what you'll get--lots of variability in the cars. Uber has a bad habit of charging more to your card than they advertise when you request the ride, so rider beware. I don't think it's the drivers, but rather the app.
I've used Uber countless times in Mexico City (and other Mexican destinations) without a hitch.
​​​​​​
However, at some airports, they can't be used, either for departures, arrivals, or both (Cancun). At GDL, every time I've taken Uber the driver has asked me to sit in front, lest he get stopped by the police.

Mexican friends have mentioned that some regular Mexico City cab drivers are fond of the chicanery; even being able to speak Spanish, I still opt for Uber, the metro, or when in a truly random spot, a bus (I wouldn't necessarily recommend taking a non-Metrobus at night).
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 6, 2022, 4:12 pm

Can you install Cabify or Beat while still in the US? Or do you have to wait to be on-the-ground to install and register? Thanks
Old May 6, 2022, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by lax01
Can you install Cabify or Beat while still in the US? Or do you have to wait to be on-the-ground to install and register? Thanks
I don't recall where I installed Cabify (most likely either USA, Chile, or Argentina), but it wasn't in Mexico.
lax01 likes this.
Old May 7, 2022, 1:50 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I don't recall where I installed Cabify (most likely either USA, Chile, or Argentina), but it wasn't in Mexico.
I installed Cabify in Madrid, and the system would not let me link to a credit card that was not issued in Spain. But I have used Cabify in Chile and Colombia, without problem.
lax01 likes this.
Old May 7, 2022, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by lax01
I believe you can install wherever. Beat also allows an option whereby you could pay your driver in cash, as default before you add your first card.
With cabify you may be able to find a referral code that would save you X% on your first Y rides. I'd offer one, but as I've returned home I've uninstalled cabify for now... With Beat,a day after trying out their Uber service for the first time I got an emailed promo for 10% off my next 10 rides, so keep a lookout for that? Good luck and enjoy!
lax01 likes this.
Old May 7, 2022, 1:02 pm

Dumb of me...I just looked in the US Apple App Store...could get both apps. I think we actually used Cabify in Spain too already

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.