Wiki Posts
Search

Mexico admission with close expiring passport

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by sb3
Thanks JDiver. That's what I was afraid of.

Interestingly enough when I plugged her date of travel and passport expiration into the SkyTeam timatic page, it comes back that she can travel. Of course she doesn't have the passport in her possession now so it isn't worth mentioning.

I will take the suggestion above about calling her congressperson to see if they can shake it free.
I see that. I've been a resident of Mexico and travel to Mexico frequently. The Mexican authorities could overlook the six months requirement, but they're not supposed to. Unless things have changed recently, of course.

The ideal would be to show up with a passport expiring 15 July 2017 and have the Migración official limit the FMM to expire that date. That's logical and orderly.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:08 am
sb3

Programs: UA-1K
To close the loop.

SIL spoke to the Houston passport office this morning. They arranged for her to go to the Seattle passport office and they will give her a new one today, in time to fly tomorrow.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by sb3
To close the loop.

SIL spoke to the Houston passport office this morning. They arranged for her to go to the Seattle passport office and they will give her a new one today, in time to fly tomorrow.
That's excellent news!

I hope the expediter refunds the fees.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:41 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Glad things worked out ^

Originally Posted by JDiver

The onjy option I can think of is to fly to San Diego, cross the border by land using the normal San Ysidro or Otay Mesa crossing (better: taxi or transport to the CBX bridge at Otay Mesa (link), where crossing by land she'd be allowed if she has her ODL and a raised seal / embossed birth certificate. She could then fly to her original destination in Mexico domestically via Aeroméxico, Interjet, etc.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

IIRC it's still possible to enter and leave Mexico by land without a passport. Depending on your destination within Mexico, this could be an option. However, do not assume that you can take domestic flights within Mexico without a passport.
Not sure the last time you guys tried crossing into Mexico on foot, but that too now requires a passport.

Last time I went they allowed a one time exception and put my info into the computer. This was months ago, so not sure if this exemption is still valid. Assume it applies to entry in a car as well.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 12:16 am
sw3
Used to be 'etrevino'

Programs: AA, BA, AM Plat, HH Silver, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by sb3
Interestingly enough when I plugged her date of travel and passport expiration into the SkyTeam timatic page, it comes back that she can travel. Of course she doesn't have the passport in her possession now so it isn't worth mentioning.
That's because Mexico doesn't care about passport expiration dates, other than the passport must be valid on arrival (Article 37-I-a of Ley de Migración). Of course, if the passport expires while in Mexico, it's likely that there would be issues when trying to take a plane out of the country
Old Jul 12, 2017, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Unfortunately there is conflicting information on the internet as some older web pages have not been updated. From what I gather, in the past it was not necessary to have 6+ months passport validity when entering Mexico. However, at some point that changed and now 6 months is required. Airlines will generally require the same though interestingly nobody at the airport asked to see my passport when I did online checkin and flew from USA to Mexico last month. YMMV...
Old Jul 14, 2017, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Unfortunately there is conflicting information on the internet as some older web pages have not been updated. From what I gather, in the past it was not necessary to have 6+ months passport validity when entering Mexico. However, at some point that changed and now 6 months is required. Airlines will generally require the same though interestingly nobody at the airport asked to see my passport when I did online checkin and flew from USA to Mexico last month. YMMV...
The best thing is to run your personal data through IATA TIMATIC, which is what the airlines go by to determine if your documentation is sufficient so they will allow you to board or not. And generally international passengers are required to provide a document check - sometimes we can check in on line by verifying our passport information, but the airline may still check. Otherwise, the airline employees are required to check and verify - failure to do so and having a passenger returned for document insufficiency results in considerable fines and the airline may have to disembark a paying passenger to give priority to return the refused passenger. It doesn't happen much in Mexico - but I just had this occurvrecentky to a friend whose passport wasn't vetted properly in SMF, LAX, HKG - but was refused admission to India at DEL and flown back at CX' and AA's cost.

Try this UA version: link.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 14, 2017 at 9:06 pm
Old Jul 14, 2017, 10:03 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
It doesn't happen much in Mexico - but I just had this occur recentky to a friend whose passport wasn't vetted properly in SMF, LAX, HKG - but was refused admission to India at DEL and flown back at CX' and AA's cost.
Wow, talk about a trip in vain

If coach, bet his / her behind was very sore
Old Jul 15, 2017, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I just had this occur recently to a friend whose passport wasn't vetted properly in SMF, LAX, HKG - but was refused admission to India at DEL and flown back at CX' and AA's cost.
Unfortunately this explains why I had to waste 10m @sfo (this was the 1K desk, the other line was far worse) to get a boarding pass for a flight to Chicago, because UA wanted to check my visa to my ultimate destination (LOS). I have generally been successful avoiding most lines but sometimes it is unavoidable.

I noticed that UA would not offer me an iPhone/UnitedApp BP for my return from MEX though I was able to email one for printing. Not great but better than waiting at the airport.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Wow, talk about a trip in vain

If coach, bet his / her behind was very sore
She was in Business class on an award she was fortunate enough to secure. She lost the tour and a lot of value, and her husband took thd tour without her. Very tough and expensive lesson.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
funny how this thread popped up just as my driver's license is expiring.

That's what I got confused. I knew that both my passport & driver's license expired in 2017. My issue was that I thought the passport expired in July. It didn't.

Needless to say, I received my new passport about a month after I posted this thread
Old Jul 17, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
She was in Business class on an award she was fortunate enough to secure. She lost the tour and a lot of value, and her husband took thd tour without her. Very tough and expensive lesson.
wow, not only didn't she earn any miles but had to burn a bunch.... that really adds insult to injury!
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:23 pm
sw3
Used to be 'etrevino'

Programs: AA, BA, AM Plat, HH Silver, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Unfortunately there is conflicting information on the internet as some older web pages have not been updated. From what I gather, in the past it was not necessary to have 6+ months passport validity when entering Mexico. However, at some point that changed and now 6 months is required.
Ley de Migración, article 37, "To enter the country, foreigners must: I. Present at the immigration filter the following documents: a) Passport or travel and identity document that is valid according to international law, and b) [...]"

I can't find any requirement of passport validity for foreigners anywhere in the immigration law or its regulation (Reglamento de la Ley de Migración), beyond the requirement that the passport must be valid on the day of.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Travelling to Mexico with soon to be expiring passport

Anyone have any experience with this ? My wife's Canadian passport expires a few days after we get back ( 5 days to be exact ) I know the 6 month preference story but since we're leaving in a week, there is no time to get a new passport.
Is there any point in turning up at the airport or should we cancel the ticket ?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:55 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ChimzB
Anyone have any experience with this ? My wife's Canadian passport expires a few days after we get back ( 5 days to be exact ) I know the 6 month preference story but since we're leaving in a week, there is no time to get a new passport.
Is there any point in turning up at the airport or should we cancel the ticket ?
From the Canadian Government website:

All Canadian citizens need a valid passport to enter Mexico. Canadian citizens without a valid passport will not be allowed entry into Mexico and will be returned to Canada. In order to avoid delays and misunderstandings, we strongly recommend that you travel with a passport valid for six months after your arrival date.

Sometimes it really just depends on an interpretation of what the rules are by the airline agent checking you in. I would at least call your airline and ask.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.