Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Mexico City Public Transport

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 22, 16, 10:13 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Major public transportation options in Mexico City

El Metro (subway, underground):

NETWORK MAP: Link to downloadable PDF

HOURS OF SERVICE
Work days: 5:00 to 24:00 hrs

Saturdays: 6:00 to 24:00 hrs

Sundays and holidays: 7:00 to 24:00 hrs
TICKETS: Cost $5.00 m.n. (pesos) per trip (free for older persons, persons with disabilities and children under five years old)

Tickets can be purchased at booths. STC Metro rechargeable cards were first available for an initial cost of MXN $10.00. The card would be recharged at the ticket counter in any station (or at machines in some Metro stations) to a maximum of MXN $120.00 (around € 6.44, or US$ 7.05 in 2015) for 20 trips.

n an attempt to modernize public transport, in October 2012 the Mexico City government implemented the use of a prepaid fare card, or stored-value card, called Tarjeta DF (Tarjeta del Distrito Federal, literally Federal District Card) as a payment method for STC Metro, Metrobús and the city's trolleybus and light rail systems, though they are all managed by different organisations.[26] Servicio de Transportes Eléctricos manages both the Xochimilco Light Rail line and the city's trolleybus system. Previous fare cards that were valid only on STC Metro or Metrobús remained valid for the system for which they were acquired.[27]

DANGERS AND ANNOYANCES: Pickpockets and purse snatchers rove the metro, particularly when they are crowded. Watch your pockets, valuables, purses, "kangureras" (belly packs). Groping of women can be a problem; look for rail cars set aside for women.
El Metrobús(express trolley bus - high accessibility level)

ROUTE MAPS: Link

SYSTEM MAP (accessible stations indicated):

TICKETS:

One trip cost: $6.00 m.n. Transfers are included between lines 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 as long as your trip is in one direction and is completed within two hours.

Trip cost between MEX international airport terminals 1 or 2 and City: $30.00 m.n.

You may purchase MB tickets or Tarjeta de Ciudad de México / CDMX, available at the stations. Machines do not give change.

Machine instructions here, and here for newer machines (Castilian Spanish).
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 20, 16, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, American

We will be in the city for 4 days and we want to use the subway and buses to get around . What's the best option? Is there a multi day pass or do I pay for each ride? And if there is a pass, where do I get it? Thanks for all info.
Old Jan 20, 16, 11:13 pm

There is no multi-day pass. Rides are 5 or 6 pesos each (~25-30 cents).

You can buy a tarjeta racargable (like an LA Metro TAP card) for 10 pesos at a subway station and then load cash onto that to use on subways and such. (I'd recommend avoiding buses, except for MetroBuses.)

However, Uber is inexpensive, relatively speaking. With the minimum fare, which will get you quite a distance, you are looking at $2.30/ride.
Old Jan 22, 16, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, American
What about the underground? We rather enjoy the experience of using public transport. Most tourist type spots have a metro stop nearby.
Old Jan 22, 16, 7:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by kestasx View Post
What about the underground? We rather enjoy the experience of using public transport. Most tourist type spots have a metro stop nearby.
See the wikipost under construction at the top of the page. The Metro (underground) and Metrobús (restricted way trolley bus) have good reach and are economical. I'd avoid the Metro during rush hour.

There are "peseros", shared vans on main thoroughfares, but I'd not recommend these unless you are city savvy; street flag taxis, but I'd recommend having your hotel, shop, restaurant call one or taking one from a formal taxi rank (sitio de taxis); Uber (use as usual); urban busses, which I'd recommend not using, and a light rail system with limited reach.

Search this Thread