Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

"Potentially catastrophic" Hurricane Patricia lands Mexican coast

Old Oct 23, 15, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA/AA

The US National Hurricane Centre said Patricia grew into a powerful Category Five storm in the five-level Saffir-Simpson scale, with maximum sustained winds of 260 kilometres (160 miles) per hour. The storm was expected to strike the coast on Friday afternoon or evening,

Forecasts show that Patricia will make landfall in the western state of Jalisco, near the neighbouring state of Colima.

The region includes the major port of Manzanillo in Colima and Jalisco's tourist resort of Puerto Vallarta, which Mexican officials said could face a direct hit.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...can-coast.html
Old Oct 23, 15, 12:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Yeah, just read about this. I'm hoping all my friends in PVR can get to high ground and that it doesn't hit them too hard. Supposed to make landfall Friday evening. Hoping it hits south of there as it looks like it might, since there is a lot of sparsely populated territory further south.
Old Oct 23, 15, 2:04 am

This is a storm of historical proportions. It has increased in intensity far beyond any of the models had predicted (and they already predicted rapid intensification). NHC now saying it is tied for the strongest in recorded history for E. Pac storm. Airport disruptions aside... if you have friends/family anywhere around the path of this storm, including the state of Jalisco (ie: Puerto Vallarta) please alert them this is no longer a minimal hurricane...
Old Oct 23, 15, 6:45 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

We were heading down to PV late next week to celebrate my 60th. As soon as the airlines extend their cancellation waiver we will cancel. If you want to read some on the ground chat go to TripAdvisor's PV forum. serious stuff and fears.
Meanwhile:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather/...mexico-n449731
Old Oct 23, 15, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maximum sustained winds now up to 200 miles per hour.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...ured/74446334/
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh...l/231144.shtml

This hurricane is off the scale. Should be cat. 6.
Old Oct 23, 15, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Plat Amb
My 70yr old inlaws are there now. Refused to follow our advice to evacuate so I guess they will hunker down. No way I would choose to do that after seeing the video from last year's hurricane that destroyed Cabo. No power for a week, blown out glass covering the floor of your room (which is slippery from the rain) etc.

To be fair this one didn't look bad until a day ago, at which point it was pretty much too late to catch a flight out, and I understand the road to Guadalajara is currently jammed.
Old Oct 23, 15, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by david4455 View Post
We were heading down to PV late next week to celebrate my 60th. As soon as the airlines extend their cancellation waiver we will cancel. If you want to read some on the ground chat go to TripAdvisor's PV forum. serious stuff and fears.
Meanwhile:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather/...mexico-n449731
I'm reading a thread there now about it, started a few days ago when it was just a tropical depression. Kept saying they would get nothing, he would bet money on it. Even yesterday he was saying it wouldn't be anything, I hope he's prepared, despite his words.
Old Oct 23, 15, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA/AA
Originally Posted by wrp96 View Post
I'm reading a thread there now about it, started a few days ago when it was just a tropical depression. Kept saying they would get nothing, he would bet money on it. Even yesterday he was saying it wouldn't be anything, I hope he's prepared, despite his words.
Welcome to the world of El Nino.

For excellent real-time coverage...follow this guy. He's a hurricane chaser on the ground, working for the Weather Channel.

https://twitter.com/iCyclone

https://www.facebook.com/iCyclone
Old Oct 23, 15, 1:21 pm

Oh believe me I'm watching different things. I just thought it interesting that there is one guy over on TripAdvisor who is absolutely adamant that nothing will happen to Puerto Vallarta (and he posted this within the last 30 minutes). That there is no need to board up windows, stock up on food or water, etc in Puerto Vallarta because the mountains will protect them and there won't be any storm surge there.

While I would like that to be so for everyone's sake, even if he could guarantee that were true (which he can't), it just seems so foolhardy to me to not at least do minor stuff like make sure you have extra food and water, etc.
Old Oct 23, 15, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Not excited to be here right now.
Old Oct 23, 15, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Cool

Originally Posted by Ty Vil View Post
Not excited to be here right now.
In PVR or AZ?
Old Oct 23, 15, 2:06 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by wrp96 View Post
Oh believe me I'm watching different things. I just thought it interesting that there is one guy over on TripAdvisor who is absolutely adamant that nothing will happen to Puerto Vallarta (and he posted this within the last 30 minutes). That there is no need to board up windows, stock up on food or water, etc in Puerto Vallarta because the mountains will protect them and there won't be any storm surge there.

While I would like that to be so for everyone's sake, even if he could guarantee that were true (which he can't), it just seems so foolhardy to me to not at least do minor stuff like make sure you have extra food and water, etc.
I have been following that thread as well... Dangerous and fool hearty....but he appears to have his admirers.

Last edited by david55; Oct 23, 15 at 4:13 pm
Old Oct 23, 15, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by david4455 View Post
I have been following that thread as well.... and even the guy's profile picture is smug. Dangerous and fool hearty....but he appears to have his admirers.
I really want him to be right, for his sake and everyone in Puerto Vallarta's sake, but....
Old Oct 23, 15, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Looks like it made landfall a ways south of PVR and north of Manzanillo.
Old Oct 23, 15, 6:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Looks like Puerto Vallarta is very near where Patricia slammed into land; the eye arrived over Emiliano Zapata, Jalisco at 18:15 local and the hurricane landed at full force 5 on the Saffir Simpson scale.

See videos at http://www.cadena3.com/contenido/201...sco-153437.asp

In Puerto Vallarta, 21,000 Mexican and 7,000 tourists have been relocated from beachside lodging to more protected areas.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 23, 15 at 7:36 pm

Search this Thread