Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Potentially catastrophic" Hurricane Patricia lands Mexican coast

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2015, 8:06 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JDiver
Looks like Puerto Vallarta is very near where Patricia slammed into land; the eye arrived over Emiliano Zapata, Jalisco at 18:15 local and the hurricane landed at full force 5 on the Saffir Simpson scale.

See videos at http://www.cadena3.com/contenido/201...sco-153437.asp

In Puerto Vallarta, 21,000 Mexican and 7,000 tourists have been relocated from beachside lodging to more protected areas.
Just to be clear....that video is not PV. I have been following a forum all day with many people on the ground and there seems to be a general relief tonight that PV has dodged a bullet. Most reported mild rain and wind...but no where near hurricane strength.

Farther south....that is another story. I am afraid we will see some very tragic scenes at daybreak.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 9:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by david4455
Just to be clear....that video is not PV. I have been following a forum all day with many people on the ground and there seems to be a general relief tonight that PV has dodged a bullet. Most reported mild rain and wind...but no where near hurricane strength.

Farther south....that is another story. I am afraid we will see some very tragic scenes at daybreak.
I think those videos are from the area closer to Manzanillo; having experienced typhoons and hurricane, those weather conditions are substantially less than a strong hurricane would have.

In any case, Patricia is now moving inland and weakening. It looks like a catastrophe was avoided.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh...l/230238.shtml

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 24, 2015 at 10:23 pm Reason: Change video venues
Old Oct 23, 2015, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA/AA
Originally Posted by wrp96
I really want him to be right, for his sake and everyone in Puerto Vallarta's sake, but....
It is Official Hurricane Patricia did NOT hit Puerto Vallarta ...We will have some light rain for the next 12hrs.

https://twitter.com/PVallartaNews1
Old Oct 24, 2015, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Thank goodness. Sorry for the areas it did hit though.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 1:41 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
Milagro en Costa Allegre!

It was a miracle. I am not religious but that might change. My mom lives in a small town on the coast 17 miles from landfall for Hurricane Patricia. Not one death in the entire little village. No serious injury.

Most of the homes are still standing. We don't yet know what the damage to our home is because we are up north. Our norm is to live there between late Nov until the spring every year.

Roads are messy. Who knows how bad. There is no electricity nor phone. The internet and US cell phones are working. People are recharging off car batteries. We shall see how the town pulls together. Mexican people are very smart and able. The gringos are very committed to this village. They survived. Now lets help them clean up and live again.

I am proud of the people on the Costa Allegre. Very good work everyone. Hugs to those who have lost so much. I know it hurts.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Very little damage in PV according to my in-laws. Electricity and internet was up as we were able to facetime. I hear flights are resuming as well and WN has added 4 departures back to USA. PV lucked out big time compared to other areas and to last year's storm in Baja.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Thank goodness for a much smaller impact than feared. I was worried about a Katrina like hit on PVR, one of my favorite places and the home of many friends.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 9:42 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Unhappy

The towns of Melaque, Barra de Navidad, Carayes, La Manzanilla, Boca de Iguanas, and Tamarindo were very much impacted. The road from Manzanillo to PVR is not yet fully passable. ZLO is still closed. Alaska is offering free refunds if traveling soon.

This actually impacts a large number or North Americans who will be arriving in large numbers over the next few weeks. It just breaks my heart. Twenty four hours later and we still have no real knowledge of what happened to our home.

We will let those who live there get dry first then worry about those of us out of harms way. It is hard waiting to hear if your house is trashed or not.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 9:44 pm
Suspended

Is your place in Barra?
Old Oct 25, 2015, 11:08 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Doc, were the next town up from Melaque, La Manzanilla. We were better off than our many of our dear friends and neighbors who were waterfront. The power is back and the digging out continues. Town is a mess. I guess it isn't news if it isn't PVR. Thank goodness for internet and message boards.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 8:18 am
Suspended

That looks like a beautiful little place. I hope all of your friends there at least made it through without significant injuries, and that they can rebuild. It looks like the kind of place I'd enjoy visiting.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 9:11 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

These are some of the first pictures I have seen of life after Patricia......

http://www.weather.com/news/news/hur...atricia-photos
Old Oct 26, 2015, 10:11 am
Suspended

Cool

Originally Posted by david4455
These are some of the first pictures I have seen of life after Patricia......

http://www.weather.com/news/news/hur...atricia-photos
Thanks for that link. ijkh, there are a lot of pictures of La Manzanilla there so you can get a better idea what the damage was like. Looks like a lot of trees blown down and some roofs blown off, but not a terrible as it might have been.

It is heartening to see many of the people with somewhat relieved looks on their faces and digging out with gusto.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 6:26 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

I know that the foreign folks who live in the "nicer" homes on the beach will clean up and rebuild. Most all of those homes were swamped with water, sand and ruined. My heart is with the local poor who live in less strong homes some of which were completely blown away. The local kindergarten which was just completed was torn up and blown away. The church looked damaged. The street taco joint was up and running right away

I love Mexico.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I was in PVR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.