Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Oaxaca de Juarez--longterm rental or buy a house?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2015, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

We are retired and want to relocate from Florida. Oaxaca is our #1 choice, but there is very little information about homes for sale or longterm rental prices. Of course Centro is a dream, but is San Felipe nice and reasonably priced? Can't find a real estate agent who can give us prices.

Guanajuato Ciudad is our #2 choice, but again, there is a dearth of rental and sale information.

If anyone has info or knows the friend of a friend " in the business", please shoot an email our way Thanks.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 8:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Be very careful about buying in Mexico. The system is rigged so foreigners get screwed royally if/when they plan to sell. Talk to some people who have owned there.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Not Oaxaca, but here's an old post which may be helpful.

Good luck! Let us know how things work out.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 9:19 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I love Oaxaca! That being said, rent. At least until you have been there a while, have made reliable contacts and gain a thorough understanding of the pros, cons and who can legitimately and honestly work with you to assure a safe purchase.

But, IMO, as one who has legally owned property (not leased or in trust) in Mexico and lived there, I must advise you not buy a house until you're well grounded and certain and perhaps have solidified your "imigrante rentista" status, if you're going to do that.

Financing is nigh impossible, so you may well be looking at paying full price up front. The last house I sold was full price in U. S. Dollars from the buyer.

Titles are very tricky - there are often many underlying claims and there is no title insurance in Mexico. Selling or buying is bureaucratic and time consuming.

Houses are generally sold "as is" and unfurnished. The previous owners / tenants may even have scavenged pipes and wiring, and you'll certainly have to purchase even basic appliances such as a water heater.

Houses are often sold or rented via signage on the house ("se renta" and "alquiler" are the terms to look for, or "se vende" in the case of sales offers. Often via word of mouth. Many real estate offices you might find are operated by expats; not every one of them might be looking out after your own best interests. Look for "bienes raices".

My advice: go to Oaxaca, perhaps staying initially in a pension or guest home, maybe in your putative neighborhood, and begin casting about. Find the expat hangouts, meet and ask lots of questions. See if there's a newspaper, newsletter, social center or group, website, etc. Of course, have fun, enjoy the food, markets, nearby sites and villages from Mitla to Monte Alban, San Bartolo Coyotepec to Teotitlán del Valle.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 20, 2015 at 9:32 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.