Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon in Cancun/Cabo. Looking for Hotels to book with Miles/Points. Any advice?

Honeymoon in Cancun/Cabo. Looking for Hotels to book with Miles/Points. Any advice?

Old Jul 3, 15, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Honeymoon in Cabo (los cabos). Looking to use Miles/Points for Hotels. Any advice?

Hi,

I'm looking to book my honeymoon in Cabo, Mexico.
# nights: 8-10days
preference: nice hotel, all inclusive (I heard that might be hard)

I'm new to the miles/points game. I'd love to hear more about what hotel to book, etc..

Right now I have 150k in MR (amex plat), 70k in avios, 40k in AA.
I was thinking of opening some accounts (me+fiance) to get free hotel nights.
Ideas:
- Hyatt & Chase cards (2 free nights/card) for Hyatt Ziva (AI)
- Marriott JW Los Cabos (not opened yet.. is that too early for it?)
- Westin. 8.5k SPG/night with club access
- Sheralton 10k/night no club access

what hotels would you recommend? it's my first time planning a trip with hotels, so any help is appreciated

I can open other credit cards accounts too if other hotels have better deals.

thanks!

Last edited by switchyj; Jul 6, 15 at 11:39 pm
Old Jul 4, 15, 12:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I'd look over long term lodging plans and see what properties the best chain to serve you offer in both locations. See what's alteady bookable with what you have, see if by extending and earning more points or transferring you might be able to book what you want.

Congratulations!
Old Jul 4, 15, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Fantastic!

If that can help, we both have excellent credit and could open a couple credit card accounts.

Thanks a lot!
Old Jul 4, 15, 10:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, SW A-List & CP
Originally Posted by switchyj View Post
Fantastic!

If that can help, we both have excellent credit and could open a couple credit card accounts.

Thanks a lot!
Congrats!

I just booked 10 days for around NYE:

4 @ Hyatt Zilara Cancun, all inclusive, 25K points per night
(using two free nights as the cost over NYE is exorbitant and 50K points)
6 @ Hyatt Playa del Carmen, 20K per night
(4 nights using cash & points because I'm using my DSU's, 40K points)

You can each get the Hyatt Card to get 4 free nights. You can then get Chase Ink or Chase Sapphire Preferred to get the rest.
Old Jul 6, 15, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks miss!

Looked in detail into Hyatt Zilaria, cancun today. The hotels look amazing, but getting the points look tough. ($399/night or 25k points).
The credit cards that would work (chase Hyatt, chase ink, chase sapphire plus) would give us 2 free nights for each credit card open.
No Hyatt status would give any free nights.

For a 9-10day stay, that means opening 5credit cards.
Is this a good strategy or is it overkill?

I don't really plan on using them and would probably cancel them after a year.
Old Jul 6, 15, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

ok, settled on Cabo!

Now to find a hotel...
Old Jul 16, 15, 9:16 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club
When is your honeymoon?

Currently the Hyatt Ziva in Cabo isn't open; still repairing Hurricane Odile damage and the re-open date has been pushed back multiple times. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...thread-19.html

We are staying at the Holiday Inn Resort in Cabo this December for an anniversary trip. It gets pretty good reviews and is all inclusive. On points, it is 35,000 points per night for two adults (all inclusive). I don't think it's quite as nice as the Hyatt Ziva but it was a good fit for us.
Old Jul 17, 15, 12:09 am
Original Poster

It's October.. I'm hoping it will be open by then...
ive heard a lot of good about the ziva and dont really want to miss it. I emailed Marco and he seemed certain that the resort would be open on September 15th. Hopefully that will happen
Old Aug 1, 15, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club
ive heard a lot of good about the ziva and dont really want to miss it. I emailed Marco and he seemed certain that the resort would be open on September 15th. Hopefully that will happen
If it were me, I wouldn't do it without a solid & acceptable back up plan. If you read through the Ziva thread, you can see the number of times that the re-open date has been pushed back. Even if it is re-opened, they might still be going through some growing pains as everyone on staff learns/re-learns their roles.
Old Aug 4, 15, 12:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It's Mexico. "Mañana" is far from a certainty, it's more a statement of good-willed intent than of fact. My sister's very serious architect in Mexico City told her the work on her house would take 3-4 weeks at most - that changed into six months due to workers deciding to vacay or go visit familia, suppliers who were eager but unstickied, etc.

I'd never book October in a property with recent delays and a mid-September opening; too high a chance it won't open, or it will but be semi-finished with construction and half-trained staff. Nearly anywhere, but for sure in Latin America, Caribbean, Fiji...

Search this Thread