Elections Disruptions Weekend of June 6-7 Mexico inc. OAX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elections Disruptions Weekend of June 6-7 Mexico inc. OAX

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2015, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Disruptions at OAX

I'm flying ATL-MEX-OAX on Sunday (June 7th), and was just reading about some disruptions at OAX that caused some flights to be cancelled.

Does anyone have any idea how long these disruptions will go?

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 5, 2015 at 11:07 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old Jun 4, 2015, 5:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It's difficult to say. The teachers' union has been marching, demonstrating, disrupting, for years. They've taken a hint from Argentine protestors who blockade the road to EZE and taken it steps further by 200 teachers (and their supporters) initially meeting in a park followed by blocking airport access and locking the gates.

When Federal police forced the gates open the teachers flooded into the airport, closing departures and disrupting schedules. They are to vote on whether they'll repeat these actions.

I'd probably fly into MEX this week and take a bus (MEX-Puebla-Oaxaca).

On Sunday, Mexican voters will choose Congressmen, governors and mayors. Demonstrations are expected in Oaxaca, Chiapas, Guerrero in particular, but could occur anywhere. Avoid large groups of people this weekend and ensuing week.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 5, 2015 at 11:08 pm
Old Jun 7, 2015, 8:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Though many areas of Mexico are peaceful and voters are calm, feeling it is their duty to vote and that it is important to do so, not all areas are peaceful:

Ahead of the polls opening, the CNTE teachers' union attacked the offices of five political parties in Chiapas state in the south of the country.

In Guerrero state, explosive devices were thrown into a conservative party's office.

Meanwhile in Oaxaca, as well as Guerrero, tens of thousands of ballot papers were burnt by protesters.

A former mayor was shot dead outside a polling station in the same state.

A number of candidates and numerous campaign workers have also been killed in drug-related violence.
Link to BBC article

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.