Search

Programa Viajero Confiable - a "Global Entry" for Mexico

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Programa Viajero Confiable - a "Global Entry" for Mexico

Just received an email from DHS touting Mexico's version of GE. Apparently this is open to US citizens who are Global Entry members and is currently operational at MEX, SJD and CUN (soon to expand). I was getting pretty excited at the thought of skipping those annoying lines at SJD when I learned:
  • The application fee is 1372 pesos (almost USD $100!!) per person, same as GE (good for 5 years) and
  • Children under 12 are ineligible (unlike GE)

So for me there is absolutely no point to apply as I would still have to stand in line with my children. On the plus side, that's 5300 pesos that won't be coming out of my pocket and into the government of Mexico's coffers

For those who might find this useful, the details are here:

http://www.viajeroconfiable.inm.gob.mx/index.php/home/

Note that you must schedule an interview at one of the 3 airports (MEX, SJD or CUN) at least 2 weeks after you apply, so it won't work on your first trip.

Hopefully this post will remain in the Mexico forum, where it might be useful, rather than getting buried with the GE threads in the TT forum
Old May 28, 2015, 10:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This isn't about GE and it's country specific to Mexico, so it will remain here.

Not cheap!

¡Gracias! for letting us now.

/Moderadór
Old May 29, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
I just got the email too, I think I will get it, in a few months:

Dear Global Entry Member:

Do you travel by air frequently to Mexico? Do you want to avoid lines at Mexican immigration like you do when entering the United States? If you answer yes to these questions, you might be interested in joining Mexico’s Programa Viajero Confiable (Trusted Traveler Program).

Already operational at three airports (Mexico City, San Jose del Cabo and Cancun), and soon to arrive at 10 more, Programa Viajero Confiable offers expedited clearance when entering Mexico, the same type of service that you’ve grown accustomed to with Global Entry at U.S. international airports.

Information about applying can be found here: http://www.viajeroconfiable.inm.gob.mx/index.php/home/. The process includes an online application, one fee for 5 years of membership, and an in-person interview.

Don’t waste any more time! Apply today! Time is money!

This is an automated email. Please do not reply.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 9:34 pm

Interesting if both immigration and customs forms still have to filled out. Most of the time there is someone at the end of the jetway to verify completed forms.

It does not speed up the customs process does it? If only speeding up the immigration process, I think I will pass.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by madison8
Interesting if both immigration and customs forms still have to filled out. Most of the time there is someone at the end of the jetway to verify completed forms.

It does not speed up the customs process does it? If only speeding up the immigration process, I think I will pass.
Last I went thru SJD they did not check for the forms until you were well into the terminal, about halfway through the ropes. Presumably the machines will be set up in another line as they do in US CBP airport stations.

As for customs to each his own but I have never waited >5m. Immigration is often much worse.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by JDiver
Not cheap!
US$89 for 5 years doesn't seem particularly expensive to me. Compare that to US$177 per year for the Privium program at AMS.

It says on the website that you pay the fee and complete the application online, and if approved, print it out and take it to the enrollment center at a participating airport upon your next arrival. What it does not say is whether the enrollment center is before or after regular immigration control. That is, does successful online enrollment allow you to skip the normal immigration line on your very next visit, or is it effective only upon your second visit?
Old Jun 18, 2015, 11:51 am

Has anyone gone through the online application process? I submitted an application, but am still waiting for the login information email so I can move forward. How long should it take to receive this email?
Old Jun 18, 2015, 12:21 pm

Mexico's Global Entry

I did receive the same email as some of you did. Since we travel to Mexico at least twice a year I thought it would benefit us. I filled out the first page of the application which required my basic information PLUS my passport number. When I went to the second page I lost the first page and could not get back in to the program. Now I am concerned that my information is floating around in a space where I don't want it to be!
Has anyone else had this experience? Has anyone been accepted into this program?
I did speak with an agent at the Border Control in my local airport and that agent knew nothing about this program - not a very reassuring sign on my side.
All advice/comments gratefully appreciated.
Thanks for your thoughts on this.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by jtm5193
I did receive the same email as some of you did. Since we travel to Mexico at least twice a year I thought it would benefit us. I filled out the first page of the application which required my basic information PLUS my passport number. When I went to the second page I lost the first page and could not get back in to the program. Now I am concerned that my information is floating around in a space where I don't want it to be!
Has anyone else had this experience? Has anyone been accepted into this program?
I did speak with an agent at the Border Control in my local airport and that agent knew nothing about this program - not a very reassuring sign on my side.
All advice/comments gratefully appreciated.
Thanks for your thoughts on this.
Your information is not in a public space - it is inside the application software - so I don't believe you need to be worried specifically about an uncompleted application.

It makes sense to me that a US CBP or ICE agent would not know much, let alone details, of a Mexican program.

Note that for a US citizen to be eligible for the Mexican program the US citizen MUST be already enrolled in Global Entry.

Unfortunately I will not be enrolling in this program anytime soon; I usually travel with my kids to Mexico but the minimum age for enrollment is 18 so there will be little opportunity for me to take advantage of it.

It's too bad because I, too, find the lines for La Migra to be much longer than the lines for Aduana.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Section 107
Your information is not in a public space - it is inside the application software - so I don't believe you need to be worried specifically about an uncompleted application.

It makes sense to me that a US CBP or ICE agent would not know much, let alone details, of a Mexican program.

Note that for a US citizen to be eligible for the Mexican program the US citizen MUST be already enrolled in Global Entry.

Unfortunately I will not be enrolling in this program anytime soon; I usually travel with my kids to Mexico but the minimum age for enrollment is 18 so there will be little opportunity for me to take advantage of it.

It's too bad because I, too, find the lines for La Migra to be much longer than the lines for Aduana.
They're not legal entities until they're 18. You know how it is in México with "familia"; I'd ask, next time I was in a position to do so, if "los niños menores" can accompany papá or mamá through the expedited Programa Viajero Confiable fila.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
So I just completed the online application and scheduled my appointment an hour after I land at MEX in Terminal 1. Has anyone been approved for this yet and used it? From what I am reading the kiosks do not work? I also read on the CBP page that the Mex government has approved expansions to 10 more airports. If anyone can provide an update for the program and its inner workings that would be awesome.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: DL 360, DL 1M, DL Charter Diamond, LA Gold, UA Silver
I'm in the program and joined back in May. I enter Mexico 3-4 times monthly and have only used it three times since joining. The reason? If there is no or a very short Immigration line at Mexico City, then it's quicker to go to the agent especially if you've already filled in your forms on the plane. If the line is really long, then using the machines is worth it. (I joined because I had had enough of the 90-minute crazy lines which you see in MEX if you land at the wrong time.) The machines are clunky, you have to type in a lot of info, and usually at least one of the three at MEX T2 isn't working. In fact, the first time I tried to use a machine after joining, they were all broken. Luckily in that case, an Immigration agent let me come to the front and go right through instead of wait in the epic 90-minute line.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by tapagringo
I'm in the program and joined back in May. I enter Mexico 3-4 times monthly and have only used it three times since joining. The reason? If there is no or a very short Immigration line at Mexico City, then it's quicker to go to the agent especially if you've already filled in your forms on the plane. If the line is really long, then using the machines is worth it. (I joined because I had had enough of the 90-minute crazy lines which you see in MEX if you land at the wrong time.) The machines are clunky, you have to type in a lot of info, and usually at least one of the three at MEX T2 isn't working. In fact, the first time I tried to use a machine after joining, they were all broken. Luckily in that case, an Immigration agent let me come to the front and go right through instead of wait in the epic 90-minute line.
Thanks for the valuable feedback!
Old Sep 26, 2015, 7:46 pm

My wife and I applied online and had interviews set up for 11:00 am and 11:30 am at Cancun on 30 Aug, 2015. Our plane arrived at about 10am at Terminal 3. We did go through Immigration and Customs first. Fortunately there were no lines at Immigration or Customs on this Sunday morning and we were through in about 10 minutes. Finding the Viajero Confiable office was a little more difficult. My recollection is that, after going through Customs, walk down the hallway where everybody is trying to help you find transportation and exit the building. Immediately turn left and go 100 feet? into the part of the terminal for checking in for flights. I believe there is a restaurant (BerryHill) to the left inside the terminal. Continue toward a currency exchange counter, turn right and go down a hallway. There will be restrooms on the left. The Viajero Confiable office (very small) was just inside the last small hallway on the right before you go through some glass doors.
We had all the necessary documents. We filled out a form and then the very nice lady running the office took our fingerprints on a glass fingerprint machine similar to the ones used at Global Entry kiosks in the states. Despite trying at least 20 times over the course of 15 minutes or so the machine would not take my fingerprints for any fingers or thumbs. The machine would register a 2 or 4 out of 10 and apparently I needed a higher number. The lady had me rub my forehead to get oil on my fingertips. Still didn't work. Then my wife tried, numerous times. Same result. The lady then brought up two forms relating to me on her computer screen. On one form the "name" line had my last name. On the other form the "name" line had my full name - same last name but with the additional first and middle names. She said that since the forms didn't match I had incorrectly filled out my application and would have to reapply on my next trip to Mexico. She assured me that my reapplication would be at no cost to me. By this time I had decided that if the fingerprint machine in her office didn't work I didn't have much faith that a fingerprint machine at the Immigration line would work. We decided to chalk the application cost up to experience and just stand in the Immigration lines next time. Not the end of the world. We said "thanks" and went on to enjoy our vacation.
When we returned to the States the following Sunday the fingerprint machine at the Global Entry kiosk in Austin immediately picked up our fingerprints and we very quickly had our receipts for Immigration and Customs.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, AA-Gold
Thank you @tapagringo and @bdizzle for the feedback. I'm going to take the gamble on the off chance it will help once or twice a month when I happen to land in MEX during a frenzy. F1 week was horrendous, ok, but it's not hard to be unlucky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.