Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for travel from downtown San Diego to Tijuana Airport

Old May 5, 15, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

This fall we'll be flying from SMF-SAN, staying for a few days in San Diego, and then flying from Tijuana to MEX on Volaris. If I was traveling solo I would take the trolley down to the SY border then taxi to the airport and then do the same on the way back but this time I'll be traveling with our two young kids so I'm wondering what the best option would be as far as balancing cost with convenience. From what I've gathered, we have the following options.

1. Trolley to SY, taxi to airport, same on return
2. Private van from SAN direct to TIJ airport, runs around $100.
3. Taxi/Uber to Otay Mesa crossing, taxi to airport, same on return.
4. Greyhound from San Diego to Airport

Which of these would have the greatest value, keeping in mind that we'll have two suitcases, and a 3 year old who doesn't like waiting in line? We all have passport cards so we can use the Ready Lane, but I'm not sure if that's even applicable to the pedestrian crossing. On the return, which would be the fastest to get from the Tijuana airport back to San Diego?
Old May 5, 15, 8:26 pm

Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
There is a shuttle run by Volaris between TIJ and the San Diego downtown Amtrak station. You don't have to be flying Volaris to use it. IIRC, it's US$27pp each way.

Of your choices listed I would choose door #3, Uber to the border, taxi to TIJ, same on return.
Old May 12, 15, 6:31 pm

There's a guy that services the Jewish community in SD and crosses them to TIJ and viceversa with people visiting from MEX. It's great service he'll pick you up where you tell him to and he'll drop you off at the airport. He's got SENTRI, he's got child seats if you need them as well. Only downside is that he uses an older van, but seeing how you would end up in a Tijuana taxi anyways it's not really relevant.

He charged me IIRC $70 he picked me up at TIJ and dropped me off at the Alamo near SAN, on my way back he was already waiting for me at Alamo when I got there and dropped me off at TIJ. I'll PM you his contact details if you want me to.

I used to do the taxi shuffle as well but there's just nothing as convenient and comfortable as having someone pick you up and drop you off exactly where you ask him to.

Search this Thread