Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Huasteca Potosina, the most beautiful part of Mexico foreigners don't know about

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Huasteca Potosina, the most beautiful part of Mexico foreigners don't know about

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2015, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select

Was told by some Mexican friends this is the most beautiful ecotourism in the world that amazingly even Lonely Plant doesn't know about. It's east of San Luis Potosi but west of Tampico. I'm going to check it out in may.

www.vimeo.com/89194204
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:00 pm
Suspended

Don't forget to visit Las Pozas as well, the "Rivendell" of Mexico

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...ulf_Coast.html
Old Mar 21, 2015, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Don't forget to visit Las Pozas as well, the "Rivendell" of Mexico

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...ulf_Coast.html
The home of edward James

Last edited by JDiver; May 31, 2015 at 6:39 pm Reason: Redacted repeated images
Old Mar 23, 2015, 8:08 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
That sounds very cool, I will try to check it out when I go back for Christmas this year. Thanks for posting!
Old May 24, 2015, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

I'm here right now. AMAZING!
Old May 25, 2015, 10:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by slickvik
I'm here right now. AMAZING!
When you get a chance, tell us more!

Is it very hot and humid in May?
Old May 30, 2015, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
When you get a chance, tell us more!

Is it very hot and humid in May?
Just got back, the most unique trip of my life for sure.

Day 1: Flew into San Luis Potosí from Houston IAH, the airport is small just a couple of gates, but nice, no wait for bags or immigration. Had an early morning bus to ciudad valles the next morning so just stayed at a motel next door to the bus station called Hotel Sand's, only $44 U.S. Slept four hours then walked to the bus station, bought my 4:20 AM bus ticket on Vencedor ($35 US) and got to Ciudad Valles at 8:15 AM.

Day 2: Upon arrival walked to the hotel Sierra Huasteca Inn, previously country inn, and walked to the grocery store next door, Soriana, bought some fruits and went to the hotel where the tour van was ready for us. Went to some waterfalls where we jumped off 8 waterfalls (make sure to wear Aqua shoes), then repelled off a 54 meter cliff, then had lunch, then dropped back at the hotel.

Day 3: Went to Xilitla and saw the surrealistic garden of Edward James aka Las Pozas, then went to lunch, had a bit to wander around Xilitla, then went to Huahuas aka the abyss where birds dive downwards.

Day 4: Picked up and taken to Puente de Dios in Tamasopo, basically an area where a bunch of waterfalls meet, and jumped off some cliffs. Caught the bus from here to Valles, but it was a second class bus so half the price ($20 US) but 40% longer, but a fascinating journey. Bus driver picked up anyone and everyone from the side of the road and dropped them anywhere they liked. Was interesting to see people dropped on the side of a mountain to go home. Got into San Luis Potosí around 9 pm, checked into hotel panorama, a very nice hotel ($60 US) and went to sleep for a few hours, then took the flight back to Houston in the morning. I wish I had another day in San Luis Potosí city as it is a beautiful colonial city.

All in all a very unique and fascinating journey. The tour itself was $275 US for 3 days including lunch and also 2 nights hotel, very reasonable. Also though Tampico is closer the situation there is very unstable so I recommend flying to San Luis Potosí instead.
Old May 31, 2015, 6:37 pm

Great time, it seems; thank you for sharing!
Old Oct 28, 2015, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Section 107
That sounds very cool, I will try to check it out when I go back for Christmas this year. Thanks for posting!
I'm going back December 27-31
Old Sep 2, 2016, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Finally got around to writing an article about this wonderful place

http://www.travelwithvik.com/2016/09...dy-knows-about
JDiver likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 6, 2016 at 5:51 pm Reason: Force URL
Old Sep 6, 2016, 11:45 am

excellent article - thanks for sharing. I am hoping to go this December with the family. I am sure some of us will jump off cliffs into unknown waters....
Old Sep 6, 2016, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by slickvik
Finally got around to writing an article about this wonderful place

http://www.travelwithvik.com/2016/09...dy-knows-about
Great article! The only other Americans I know of who are familiar with thd Huasteca Potosina are my good friend Jim, who spent some time there during a road trip (and ran into the original American orchid collector and smuggler there) and "Mexico" Mike Nelson, the peripatetic road warrior who used to write the excellent Mexico road logs for Sanborn's insurance.

Tamazunchale, SLP, was better known prior to thd "new, improved" road to the US. And Tampico is a great place to stay away from these days because it is HQ for the CDG (Gulf Cartel) and a battleground in their fight with the feared Zetas drug cartel.

San Luís Potosí has some colonial charm as well.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 6, 2016 at 6:08 pm
Old Sep 6, 2016, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
Great article! The only other Americans I know of who are familiar with thd Huasteca Potosina are my good friend Jim, who spent some time there during a road trip (and ran into the original American orchid collector and smuggler there) and "Mexico" Mike Nelson, the peripatetic road warrior who used to write the excellent Mexico road logs for Sanborn's insurance.

Tamazunchale, SLP, was better known prior to thd "new, improved" road to the US. And Tampico is a great place to stay away from these days because it is HQ for the CDG (Gulf Cartel) and a battleground in their fight with the feared Zetas drug cartel.

San Luís Potosí has some colonial charm as well.
I was told when I was there that many Canadians drive RV's to this area annually. Also, a new road is being built from valles to tamazunchale as well as valles to Tampico. Both should be done next year.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 10:51 am

JDiver,

We didnt get to go there last year and I would like to try to go this year. Any updates on your thoughts on the current security situation in the area?

Vik: how was the weather when you were there in December?

Last edited by Section 107; Dec 4, 2017 at 1:02 pm Reason: added question for Vik
Old Dec 5, 2017, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Section 107
JDiver,

We didnt get to go there last year and I would like to try to go this year. Any updates on your thoughts on the current security situation in the area?

Vik: how was the weather when you were there in December?
“Mexico” Mike Nelson has been there a couple of times recently, and I’ve not heard of major issues in that area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.