FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mexico (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico-480/)
-   -   Day trip Cabo San Lucas to Cabo Pulmo (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico/1659766-day-trip-cabo-san-lucas-cabo-pulmo.html)

Mr. Vker Mar 2, 2015 5:59 pm

Day trip Cabo San Lucas to Cabo Pulmo

We will be in Cabo San Lucas in early September. Considering a day trip to Cabo Pulmo for diving. Has anyone made the trip? The diving looks great. Looks like about a two hour drive each way. Worth it?

JDiver Mar 3, 2015 2:50 pm

Amazingly, I've not. But Cabo Pulmo gets Hugh marks from Undercurrent readers iirc, and it's a protected national park. There are species here that aren't found most other places in the Eastern Pacific region that are closely related to (or are) Hawaiian species, and since being protected has had huge increases in critter numbers - reportedly over 400%.

I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Mr. Vker Mar 3, 2015 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 24448625)
Amazingly, I've not. But Cabo Pulmo gets Hugh marks from Undercurrent readers iirc, and it's a protected national park. There are species here that aren't found most other places in the Eastern Pacific region that are closely related to (or are) Hawaiian species, and since being protected has had huge increases in critter numbers - reportedly over 400%.

I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I dove at Espirito Santo a few years ago-out of La Paz. Magnificent. I think this is going to be even better.

JDiver Mar 4, 2015 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker (Post 24449304)
I dove at Espirito Santo a few years ago-out of La Paz. Magnificent. I think this is going to be even better.

A bit monotonous ;) but if you ever want some unique diving, Nautilus Explorer out of Ensenada to Guadalupe Island entails three spectacular days of diving with Great White Sharks. They come to dine upon Elephant Seals in the Fall, the vis can exceed 100 feet easily, you can sit on the cage (but these big guys and gals can be amazingly stealthy and you can be distracted when you've got a five meter plus shark at arm's length.

Chris Weech (additional footage by Mike Mutrie) put together a videotape summary of our trip on YouTube here:

(If you go, 7mm or a dry suit are recommended.)

Enrique77 Jun 27, 2015 9:48 pm

I've been two times in Cabo Pulmo, is located about 60 miles from Cabo San Lucas. I strongly recommend you to go, amazing beaches and mountains around, the northernmost coral reef of the pacific. But beware of the roads. To get there I suggest you to rent a SUV, I recommend you caborentadent.com, honest people. If you go with a large group I suggest you to rent a bungalow.

Jayskies Jul 2, 2015 10:38 am

Most definitely worth it. Enrique is right about the roads though.