Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

AA Mileage Run includes DFW-GDL-DFW with 55-minute return...possible?

AA Mileage Run includes DFW-GDL-DFW with 55-minute return...possible?

Old Dec 16, 14, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime Platinum with 2.5MM. Current AA EXP
Question AA Mileage Run includes DFW-GDL-DFW with 55-minute return...possible?

Landing at GDL at 1:12pm, returning to DFW at 2:07pm....AA let me book it (probably same plane returning), but now I'm wondering if it's a "legal" connection and/or even possible.

Can I easily deplane and "transit" back onto the return flight without racing through immigration and customs, or must I actually enter Mexico..which might make a 55 minute turn difficult. In First Class, but still tight if I have to enter/exit Mexico.

I don't know Guadalajara airport layout/transit procedures. Any thoughts how viable this May be at GDL?

Thanks, MMM
Old Dec 17, 14, 9:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
That's going to be mighty tighty- Mexico is like the USA in that it requires even connecting passengers to process immigration and customs, going landslide and back through security. Lemme see what I can find... I'd suggest if you can get a Same Day Flight Change or otherwise change your ticket to a later flight (assuming there is one) it might be a good idea.

Link to English version of airport website. Useless for your question.

But, I've seen photos of signs in the airport? on lonelyplanet.com showing "Arrivals" and "Transfer" signs. Not sure I trust that, as IMO they should say "Tránsito".

So far, I'd recommend trying to have your departure boarding pass at hand as well as your passport, and asking the first airline employee you see "Tránsito? Por favor" (TRAHN-see-toe, pour fah-VORE)
; showing your boarding pass (remaining in the gate area if it's possible and if arrivals and departures aren't segregated) might be worth a try, but dicey if they are checking for a departure authorization stamp or require an airport-issued boarding pass).

If all fails, be prepared to tell ticket counter personnel AA sold you the ticket as legal and ask them to accommodate you on the next flight you can get seated on to your destination. If there's no availability, I suspect you might become acquainted with the nearby Hotel Casa Grande.

Now all of this is speculative, because I've never done a MR return in Mexico, and it has been years since I've been in Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla International Airport.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 17, 14 at 9:30 pm
Old Dec 18, 14, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime Platinum with 2.5MM. Current AA EXP
Thanks, JDiver. As suggested, my plan is to have my GDL-DFW boarding pass in hand before leaving DFW. Have heard GDL has had some nice updates, so hoping that may enable the process. Will be carry-on only, so will definitely try to "transit". Hopefully de-planing F will help, although if there are buses from a remote arrival, that could negate the benefit. I guess I'll find out, and report back. Unfortunately, the 2:07pm back to DFW is the last of the day. But, there is a US to PHX at 5:05P, so that might be a backup. Thanks for the help. MMM
Old Dec 19, 14, 9:13 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
ˇBuen viaje! Let us know how it goes.
Old May 30, 15, 12:52 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, AA EXEC PLAT, HERTZ PLATINUM
GDL MR

Hi, I am about to do this same trip. I was wondering if you, or anyone, were successful in doing this. Thanks, Mike

Search this Thread