FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mexico (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico-480/)
-   -   First time in Cancun! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico/1635308-first-time-cancun.html)

eunduklee Dec 8, 2014 1:31 pm

First time in Cancun!

Looking for any pointers, hints, advice, or things to beware of since this will be my first time traveling to cancun!

thank you in advance!

Yoshi212 Dec 8, 2014 4:05 pm

Cancun is very much like seaside heights. Can be very appealing depending on your personality, interests and budget or could be a jumping off spot.

I've been twice and feel I never need to return. Tulum is about 90 minutes south of Cancun and a far more intriguing place in my mind but that also depends on your personality interests and budget.

How long are you going for?
What do you want out of this vacation?
Are you traveling with people?
Already arranged some travel?

eunduklee Dec 8, 2014 4:42 pm

thank you for your thoughts!

ill be going there from 11- 14th of decembers. and i have nothing else planne dbyt showing up to CUN first so wanted some advice on what to do.

Yoshi212 Dec 8, 2014 4:52 pm

The good thing is the weather will be rather warm if you're coming from the tristate area. You can swim, snorkel, scuba, get massages, eat lots of conch and fish tacos. The list goes on. Cancun isn't huge on history as it is more of a resort spot but short distance away there is history to be found.

eunduklee Dec 8, 2014 6:31 pm

@yoshi212 i love history can you give me some pointers? i love some out door exploring =]

Yoshi212 Dec 8, 2014 6:48 pm

Well there is Chichen Itza, Museo Maya de Cancun, El Ray ruins and much much more. There are easy tours to take that will get you to see a few in a whole day to maximize your sun exposure time. From Cancun it's about 75-100 minutes to most of the ruins and historical sites. When we were last in Tulum 2 years ago we got to see 4 different ruins/historical sites and swim in freshwater sinkhole that was rather intricate. There are scuba tours of some of them. If you haven't booked your hotels yet and don't want the typical tourist resort experience take a look at Tulum. We stayed at Be Tulum and can't recommend it enough. That staff, rooms and restaurant are great. I rarely will have more than a quick breakfast at a hotel restaurant but when I can order fresh whole fish or lobster on a grill that is on the beach I will stay for dinner.

Originally Posted by eunduklee (Post 23964549)
@yoshi212 i love history can you give me some pointers? i love some out door exploring =]

eunduklee Dec 8, 2014 7:07 pm

@yoshi212 tulum looks awesome but no availability nooooooo

JDiver Dec 8, 2014 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by eunduklee (Post 23964549)

I'd do a day outing to Cobá - You'll feel like Indiana Jones at this less crowded but very impressive archaeological site - with a stop at Tulúm on the way back to make some comparisons and take in the view.

Walking down the sacbé (ancient Maya roadway) to the 130 foot high Nohoc Mul pyramid sticking out of the jungle is very cool. At Tulúm you can see the "bee god" or "diving God", but it's perched on some cliffs over the Caribbean. Long day, nice things to see.

http://www.mexperience.com/guide/archaeology/coba.php

https://www.locogringo.com/mexico/wa...s/tulum-ruins/

Much closer to Cancún is El Meco Mayan archaeological site, across the channel from Isla Mujeres.

I also like Playa del Carmen (to stay in). Nearby denotes you can swim, snorkel or dive with proper guides, Yal Ku for snorkeling. Less jam packed touristy than Cancún, much better snorkeling. (Diving with gravity bull sharks at this time of rear, too, if you dive).

For a map and distance chart, see http://www.cancun-map.com/cancun/distances/

Try some authentic Yucatecan - Mayan food at Los Almendros.

VidaNaPraia Dec 9, 2014 4:50 am

@enduklee
IMO What to do in Cancun, if you want to explore the Yucatan, is to use it as an arrival and departure airport. If you choose the all inclusive resort option, most tourists do the expensive bus tours of the sights, many with emphasis on theme parks rather than cenotes.
NO availability in Tulum? Maybe right on the beach, in the cabanas, but in the pueblo (where we prefer to stay anyway)? Highly doubt it.
Puerto Morelos? Playa del Carmen? Akumal?
Ruins include Chichen Itza, Ek Balam (overnight in Valladolid), Coba (on the way to Tulum) and Tulum. Add Merida, and Uxmal, Rota Puuc sites, haciendas. Add Sian Ka'an biosphere from Tulum. Lots of cenotes.
Good plan can be a ruin in early morning and a cenote or beach in the afternoon.

JDiver Dec 9, 2014 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia (Post 23966344)
@enduklee
IMO What to do in Cancun, if you want to explore the Yucatan, is to use it as an arrival and departure airport. If you choose the all inclusive resort option, most tourists do the expensive bus tours of the sights, many with emphasis on theme parks rather than cenotes.
NO availability in Tulum? Maybe right on the beach, in the cabanas, but in the pueblo (where we prefer to stay anyway)? Highly doubt it.
Puerto Morelos? Playa del Carmen? Akumal?
Ruins include Chichen Itza, Ek Balam (overnight in Valladolid), Coba (on the way to Tulum) and Tulum. Add Merida, and Uxmal, Rota Puuc sites, haciendas. Add Sian Ka'an biosphere from Tulum. Lots of cenotes.
Good plan can be a ruin in early morning and a cenote or beach in the afternoon.

Excellent suggestions all, but the OP won't be there long enough for the Ruta Puuc etc. they'll be here for those with more than three days truncated by arrival and departure.

bearkatt Dec 9, 2014 2:30 pm

I think I would just hang out at the beach/pool at your hotel. maybe pay $20. and catch a boatride over to isla mujeres. beaches are pretty nice down there. what hotel you staying at?

VidaNaPraia Dec 10, 2014 12:04 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 23968769)
Excellent suggestions all, but the OP won't be there long enough for the Ruta Puuc etc. they'll be here for those with more than three days truncated by arrival and departure.

Did I miss where the OP said that on this thread?

Yoshi212 Dec 10, 2014 9:32 am

Post #3 OP will have 2 full days and 2 days that include arrival & departure.

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia (Post 23972125)
Did I miss where the OP said that on this thread?

VidaNaPraia Dec 10, 2014 12:41 pm

Well, OK.
And just checked now and, for example, Posada Tulum06, a nice, clean, attractive, basic place with ac, in room fridge and coffee maker, and a plunge pool, at the north end of the pueblo in Tulum, just back off 307 one block, has availability for the stated dates. Taxi or bike to the beach and the ruins, and several cenotes. Walk to all pueblo restaurants, bars/clubs and shops. Bus to Coba ruins.
Fairly easy access from/to Cancun airport on the arrival departure days.

Yoshi212 Dec 10, 2014 2:01 pm

I too am seeing some ok-decent spots on Hotels.com with availability for OP's dates. Hope OP has fun and gets away from this craptastic weather we're having.