Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

What parts of Mexico are safe / dangerous for tourists? Safety, Danger, Security

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What parts of Mexico are safe / dangerous for tourists? Safety, Danger, Security

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2020, 12:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I had a business trip in the 00's to Cuernavaca. We stayed at the Camino Real that took over the Mary Worth estate. It was an amazing property with an authentic Japanese tea house in the middle of a lake. The grounds were beautiful. I remember sitting with the clients at the outdoor Japanese tea house having cocktails while a slight rain fell. The air smelled amazing with flowers in bloom and it was about 72 degrees, in August.

I loved Cuernavaca and it really is a shame that this unrest is reaching all sorts of places that I used to enjoy to visit for work without a second thought.
Alas, it’s a bit more dangerous now.

The F.W. Woolworth heiress Barbara Hutton’s estate continues to operate as the El Camino Real Sumiya with a large conference center. I watched as Sumiya was built, and spent some times as a visitor to dinner and events when Hutton was in residence. One Christmas, she had the staff and village nearby put on a Posada, a pageant in which people representing the the Holy Family and a group of pilgrims goes door to door asking for lodging, being denied until they arrive at the place they are admitted - followed by festivities, food and drink, and pińata breaking for the kids. This posada had a live donkey carrying a woman and child, and there was as I recollect, an adult pińata with watches and other valuable gifts. Ms. Hutton never seemed happy to me, and she traveled with a group of “friends” happy to travel, party, lodge and dine at her expense.

Link to a New York Times article on Cuernavaca, including Sumiya and El Camino Real. The bit on Sumiya:

Not far from Hacienda de Cortes, Barbara Hutton, the ill-starred heiress to the Woolworth fortune, built in the late 1950's an estate called Sumiya, which she patterned after a Shogun mansion. She reportedly lived there for only three years, and for only two weeks each year.Part of the original estate is currently being subdivided and developed with big American-looking houses, as if it were an extreme suburb of Scottsdale, Ariz. Last November, the former Hutton house, with its low ceilings and shoji screen walls and wooden floors polished like glass, opened as the Camino Real Sumiya, with 163 Japanese-flavored guest rooms in three new buildings surrounding it.

Staying here would be a bit like staying at the Golden Door. There is the faintest piano music in the air, the sort you usually hear in massage rooms, the sort with no beginning and no end. The swimming pool, with its artfully placed boulders, has a superreal naturalness.

I had a steak sprinkled with chili powder on the sunny terrace of Restaurant Sumiya, the more starched of the two restaurants here; the view of the mountains was exceptional, as was the light breeze. The alternative is a bistro called La Arboleda, which overlooks what was Miss Hutton's private kabuki theater.
bitterproffit likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 20, 2020 at 7:54 pm
Old Feb 20, 2020, 1:00 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Thanks for this perspective, how interesting to have personal experience there. So it wasn't Mary Worth but Barbara Hutton.

It's neat that you saw it before it became the El Camino Real. It was one of those places that stuck with me. I remember the feeling of sitting in that japanese structure in the middle of a pond having cocktails while listening to it rain. It is a really vibrant memory. We were there to visit the Nissan plant, which was where they built Nissans for Mexico domestic production. It was interesting.

I have stayed in a few El Camino Real's. They were always unique and fun. I think there are two in Saltillo that I stayed at. One was very corporate, the other was a really fun property. Always fun to not stay in a cookie cutter hotel every now and then.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 9:39 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Mexico Ex-Governor Killed in Puerto Vallarta as Murders Soar

Aristoteles Sandoval, the former governor of Mexico’s Jalisco state, was killed in an attack in the tourist hotspot of Puerto Vallarta, the latest sign of worsening insecurity shaking Latin America’s second-largest economy.
This took place in Distrito 5 restaurant across from La Isla Mall. Sadly the cartels have no problem killing in turistic areas now.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 7:15 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Tanic
Mexico Ex-Governor Killed in Puerto Vallarta as Murders Soar

This took place in Distrito 5 restaurant across from La Isla Mall. Sadly the cartels have no problem killing in turistic areas now.
What is crazy about this story is that the ex-governor has an entourage of 15 security men.....none of whom were with him at the restaurant. More to this story that what is being written.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 8:01 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by david55
What is crazy about this story is that the ex-governor has an entourage of 15 security men.....none of whom were with him at the restaurant. More to this story that what is being written.
I read the article to means his security team totals 15 but that doesn't necessarily mean he has a constant security bubble around him of 15. The article also states two security men were with him at the time but he was shot when he went into the bathroom and when the two went to take from the bathroom they were attacked again, one of the guards being critically wounded.

certainly will be interesting to hear the "true" story.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 12:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Section 107
I read the article to means his security team totals 15 but that doesn't necessarily mean he has a constant security bubble around him of 15. The article also states two security men were with him at the time but he was shot when he went into the bathroom and when the two went to take from the bathroom they were attacked again, one of the guards being critically wounded.

certainly will be interesting to hear the "true" story.
This was likely a retaliatory “pay back” assassination for the ex-Governor’s actions against and clashes with the newer and bloody Cartel de Jalisco Nueva Generación / Jalisco New Generation Cartel (CJNG).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.