Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

What parts of Mexico are safe / dangerous for tourists? Safety, Danger, Security

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What parts of Mexico are safe / dangerous for tourists? Safety, Danger, Security

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
Those areas should be relatively safe. I’d give the edge to Pto. Vallarta - Punta Mita.
I think that's exactly where we are headed. We've been to Puerto Vallarta twice without the kids and it's a beautiful city. Thanks for responding!
JDiver likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 8:01 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Acapulco - avoid.

BBC “In April, 100 people were killed in the resort town.

Officials said they had recorded almost 50 more murders in the first three months of 2018 than in the same period last year.

Most of the murders are believed to be related to warfare between rival criminal gangs in the region.”

In January of this year, the US State Department prohibited US government employees from traveling to the state of Guerrero, including Acapulco. It warned of armed groups "operating independently of the government in many areas of Guerrero". "Members of these groups frequently maintain roadblocks and may use violence towards travellers," the advice said.
Unfortunately, even though soldiers were deployed to Guerrero four years ago to stanch the violence, they have failed doing so. Local officials, police and henchmen, have also been implicated, particularly since the detention, kidnapping and unsolved disappearance of 43 male students from the Ayotzinapa Rural Teachers' College on 26 Sep 2014 in Iguala.

The USDOS current warnings include

Do not travel to:
  • Colima state due to crime.
  • Guerrero state due to crime.
  • Michoacán state due to crime.
  • Sinaloa state due to crime.
  • Tamaulipas state due to crime.

Link
Old May 8, 2018, 11:54 am

While there is certainly drug gang violence in some areas of Mexico, a US State Department warning for their staff (who may be more vulnerable as pawns to be held for leverage perhaps) often may have little relevance for tourists/travelers.
For example, Cuba now has a higher US State Department threat level than parts of Mexico. Published reports state that a few US diplomats living/staying in a very limited area of Havana, some of whom are thought to be spies, had some hearing and cognitive problems of still as yet unknown cause. No reports of 'casual' tourists being effected. Most other foreign countries have not considered the situation as perilous. (It would be interesting to see this year's update to the Australian government map of Mexico in post #53 .) Life goes on (from personal reports online and elsewhere) in Havana and the rest of the island for tourists to enjoy safely.

Posts which only treat a destination's negative crime news or statistics usually scare many, especially new travelers, and are in general not very useful, IMO (as a solo female traveler who safely visits many places the more timid might consider "risky" from these "reports").

Do your own research ! Consider the sources. Decide on your own comfort level (for each area of Mexico and any other destination).
Old May 8, 2018, 10:16 pm

At this time, my family in friends - residents of Mexico - avoid Acapulco and driving through Guerrero state.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: AeroMexico Club Premiere
At this time, my family in friends - residents of Mexico - avoid Acapulco and driving through Guerrero state.
I have been down there 4 times since the start of the year, and am back in a few weeks. I am not pushing anyone to go there, but I am not pushing anyone away, either - as long as they are aware of the situation. I think the city is probably in the worst situation for violence in the past 10 years since the troubles started hitting the press. And unlike before, the costera (the main road along the bay, which makes up the majority of the "tourist zone") is not exempt from the violence. However the pattern stays the same - the chances of being a victim of the violence is low. But is the chance of witnessing this violence that presents the big problem. That in itself is enough to ruin anyone's vacation, regardless of any personal injury.

But I have to say, I still very much enjoy the city - even more so with less north of the border tourists. The people are friendly, the beaches are beautiful, and there is a wide range of restaurants, bars and activities.

I will also say that while your friends and family might be avoiding the state, many Mexicans are not. The Diamante area outside the bay is growing in leaps and bounds, with some high end luxury offerings, all inclusives, and condominiums attracting many from both Mexico City and Monterrey. And the security of that area is far different and better than the main city. So I wouldn't be as quick just to dismiss Acapulco based on the news stories.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:18 am

While I’m sure my friends and family watch television, listen to radio and read the newspapers, I’m pretty sure they’re making their decisions with input from the experiences of others they know as well. There are certainly attractions in the Acapulco area, and many friendly, welcoming people, and unfortunately some occasional environmental hazards - exacerbated during the rainy season, May-October.

Just as my experiences talking to others in Acapulco, like the Americans who had an attempted armed intrusion into their RV stymied by their unusual pet chimpanzee going nuts on the invaders and frightening them off, or my childhood friend Beto being kneecapped (shot in the knee with a pistol) whilst with his sister on a beach just south of Acapulco (if she hadn’t been pregnant, they’d have killed them both, according to what she reported the gang members were saying whilst they were tied up).

Given the issues in Guerrero, my family members are choosing to holiday elsewhere. (They’re not going to I tapa any longer because of the environmental degradation that has occurred there in the last 30-40years, as well.)

It’s good to know the Diamanté area is growing and more secure. People should have options, and make informed decisions.
RFNJ likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 10:41 pm

Crime - personal safety update May 2019

I’m generally not alarmist, but there is more rumbling about crime and I’d recommend awareness and being careful.

According to the issue of Proceso in publication, from January through March of 2019 there have been increases in the following crimes in the seven largest cities, including CDMX - México City.

Part of organized crime:
  • Kidnap: 559%
  • Extortion: 127%
  • Business robbery: 62%
  • Homicide: 48%
  • Auto theft: 46%
  • Drugs dealing: 31%

Personal crime:
  • Rape: 454%
  • Domestic violence: 17%

Crime actually diminished in two types of crime:
  • Femicide: -10%
  • Personal injury from fighting: -5%
  • Home robbery: remained the same
Old May 5, 2019, 6:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Article in The Daily Beast today about safety (or lack thereof) in Acapulco:

The Mexican Government Wants You to Think Acapulco Is Safe. But Is It?
Old May 6, 2019, 12:04 am

The latest is some mangos sold on the street with salt and chile are actually having a crystalline drug substituted for salt, a new version of the “knockout drops” used in days if yore. Students seem to be targeted with this dangerous scam.

Stratfor published an article 19 Feb 2019 about murder of Americans in Mexico. The risk is similar that of dying in a traffic accident. But on mitigating crime risk, they said:

Avoiding the DangerThat notwithstanding, Mexico patently does have a serious problem with violent crime, as evidenced by the many cartels that are fighting each other for control of the country's lucrative drug production areas, trafficking corridors and domestic narcotics sales. And then there are ancillary, violent criminal activities, such as fuel theft, cargo theft, kidnapping and human trafficking. Cartel members also tend to wield military-grade weapons, which they do not hesitate to use on rival gangs or security forces, often resulting in collateral damage.

Violence in Cancun is quite common — an attack on a bar there on Feb. 16 killed five people — but most of the violence occurs far from the tourist zones along the beach.

Because of this, the best way to avoid falling prey to criminal violence is to avoid places in which it is most likely to occur, such as strip bars and seedy clubs in which drug-selling occurs. Moreover, many foreign victims of crime in Mexico were drinking to excess, using drugs or staying out late at night. We recommend that tourists visiting Mexico stay at their hotel or resort grounds after dark and avoid drinking to excess or using drugs. In some of the drinking-related incidents, assailants spiked beverages with incapacitants such as GHB, Rohypnol or fentanyl, so we recommend you not accept drinks from unknown people or leave your drink unattended. What's more, it's a good idea to avoid going onto the beach after dark.

And speaking of the dark, avoid driving at night, even on the highways. That means that if you're flying into Mexico, schedule your flights to arrive during the day and use pre-arranged transportation to get to your hotel or resort, as Mexican taxis, particularly the illegal ones, can sometimes be used for express kidnappings and sexual assaults.

Before you go, minimize what you take with you on your trip, so that you can reduce your losses if you are robbed and lessen your temptation to resist an armed criminal. And if, despite all your precautions, armed robbers do confront you, do as they say, for they will not hesitate to use gratuitous violence if you fail to comply. In the end, your watch or your wallet is simply not worth your life.

As the old adage goes, you're more likely to die or suffer injury in a traffic accident (or fire or other accident) than you are to suffer harm at the hands of a criminal. That's why it's critical to pack a stop-the-bleed kit and other first aid equipment, a good-quality flashlight and smoke hoods, as these items can literally be lifesavers. For the rest of the time, exercise proper situational awareness and common-sense security and you're unlikely to encounter many problems on your trip south.”

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 8, 2020 at 10:46 pm
Old May 7, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
I’m generally not alarmist, but there is more rumbling about crime and I’d recommend awareness and being careful.
According to the issue of Proceso in publication, from January through March of 2019 there have been increases in the following crimes in the seven largest cities, including CDMX - México City.
Part of organized crime:
Kidnap: 559%
Extortion: 127%
Business robbery: 62%
Homicide: 48%
Auto theft: 46%
Drugs dealing: 31%
Personal crime:
Rape: 454%
Domestic violence: 17%
Crime actually diminished in two types of crime:
Femicide: -10%
Personal injury from fighting: -5%

Home robbery: remained the same

some of those numbers are so extreme I have to wonder if there has been not so much a change in occurrence as there is a change in reporting....but my family in Toluca is currently not planning any trips to ACA either.
Old May 8, 2019, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Section 107
some of those numbers are so extreme I have to wonder if there has been not so much a change in occurrence as there is a change in reporting....but my family in Toluca is currently not planning any trips to ACA either.
With a change of government, there may have been some changes in how data and statistics are derived and reported. But it does appear some crimes against people have escalated considerably. (I’ve told my family in CDMX if they ever need to bail because of ash, etc. from Popocatépetl they should drive to TLC instead of MEX.)
Old May 9, 2019, 6:25 am

I have decided that Mexico for your family is safer than the US.

If you are brave enough to se4nd your kids to school in the US then you should be fine in Mexico IMHO
Old May 9, 2019, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by SJOGuy
Article in The Daily Beast today about safety (or lack thereof) in Acapulco:

The Mexican Government Wants You to Think Acapulco Is Safe. But Is It?
I read that article, I have some issues with it, some of it was some very sloppy reporting. But the overall issues are real. However, as the people in the article state, there is a big difference between living there and visiting as a tourist. The main issues you will run into as a tourist is that the city can be very quiet during the week, where before it was active every night. Extortion is the bane of entrepreneurism, so there are less choices for tourists for going out, especially at night. And the makeup of the people going, mainly chilangos, many on tour buses have changed what is offered. The overwhelming majority of offerings are geared to the budget tourist in the traditional and golden zones (the main bay). Diamante has more high end stuff, and much less crime, though many don't consider it "Acapulco" (I disagree)

That being said, I can't say I would recommend Acapulco for many people, and definitely no-one with kids along. The chance of being injured is next to none - but the chance of seeing/hearing something that could ruin an otherwise nice vacation is extremely possible.
Old May 9, 2019, 9:52 am

With a change of government, there may have been some changes in how data and statistics are derived and reported. But it does appear some crimes against people have escalated considerably. (I’ve told my family in CDMX if they ever need to bail because of ash, etc. from Popocatépetl they should drive to TLC instead of MEX.)
I would be interested to see how widespread that is throughout the city, or is the spike in numbers contained to specific spots.within those cities
Old May 9, 2019, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by RFNJ
I would be interested to see how widespread that is throughout the city, or is the spike in numbers contained to specific spots.within those cities
So would I. I’m sure there are significant variations. For example kidnappings are apparently up in Ciudad Satélite, particularly of students. Many of these are apparently lower ransome incidents not reported to the authorities. Then again, many are loath to report incidents to the authorities lest they invite retaliation or even harassment and demands of money from the very authorities charged with protecting the citizens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.