Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

What parts of Mexico are safe / dangerous for tourists? Safety, Danger, Security

What parts of Mexico are safe / dangerous for tourists? Safety, Danger, Security

Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
How sad.
I agree. Very sad. Of the two Cabos, I much prefer San Jose. Not that I want to see violence anywhere, of course ...
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
The State Dept. just released an upgraded warning today for Baja California Sur and Quintana Roo.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...homicides-rise

Any insights or thoughts on safety/safe places to go? Headed to Cancun next month so it's got me a little worried
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by chenalex
The State Dept. just released an upgraded warning today for Baja California Sur and Quintana Roo.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...homicides-rise

Any insights or thoughts on safety/safe places to go? Headed to Cancun next month so it's got me a little worried
The usual, I think. Most if not all parts of the hotel zone and downtown are generally safe. But late night at clubs and copious alcohol consumption increase the risk. My niece was just in Cancún, she follows those general rules. Asking about any areas to avoid - I ask 2-3 people who are likely to be informed (asking housekeeping or gardening staff might not be useful because they likely live away from your and the downtown area and commute - they might know the area where they live, not where you are).
Old Aug 23, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Any specific thoughts on Playa del Carmen? I'm going in October, and while I've stayed at the Riviera Maya resorts many times, I've never stayed in Playa before. I have an airbnb a few blocks west of Mamita's beach club.

While I'm not really very concerned (things can happen anywhere you are) and know all the general travel rules, I do like to explore new cities on foot. Is there any area in particular to stay away from?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by JBord
Any specific thoughts on Playa del Carmen? I'm going in October, and while I've stayed at the Riviera Maya resorts many times, I've never stayed in Playa before. I have an airbnb a few blocks west of Mamita's beach club.

While I'm not really very concerned (things can happen anywhere you are) and know all the general travel rules, I do like to explore new cities on foot. Is there any area in particular to stay away from?
The problem with Quintana Roo, and "Playacar" itself, is that they're caught up in a narco takeover by the Zetas, which I consider totally evil.

(The Zetas began as an antinarco military force originally armed and trained by the US, who eventually decided they could make hella more money working for the Gulf cartel. After a while, they felt their "management techniques" were far superior to the cartel they were working for and they became THE cartel on the Gulf, and their influence stretches from the Texas border to Central America. link)

In Playa, "For a number of years, Playa del Carmen has been tightly controlled by two groups, Cartel del Golfo and Los Pelones, under a pact that split the beach resort touristic area in two for drug-selling purposes and allowed them a peaceful coexistence.

Now that Zetas seemingly made clear they want in, the resort area is entering a whole different game."

The Zetas ultimately won't just "want in", in my opinion; they'll want it all. The shooting during the BMP festival in January at the Blue Parrot occurred because if this turf war - BMP had paid off the Gulfies and the Pelones, declined to pay the Zetas. Five people, including one American, died; warnings written on white blankets were put up around the town basically stating the Zetas were in town and would not put up with resistance. link

Though the Zetas don't benefit from killing off tourism because they collect "taxes" (bribes and extortion fees), they'll assert themselves brutally if necessary. Some locals have armed up and formed a militia. I hate the idea, even if it's not a high risk, of getting caught in a crossfire. (I recall a town in Belize - San Ignacio, iirc - where we chose not to go into town on New Year's Eve from our out of town resort; others chose to go, and they spent part of the night hiding under a car to avoid the shooting that went on for a while.)

Understand, I'm not risk averse. I traveled solo a year in Central America during unrest in Guatemala and El Salvador, the border war between El Salvador and Honduras, a coup in Honduras, the revolution in Nicaragua. I've traveled extensively in Latin America, including remote cirbers of Mexico, which I've known intimately over 70 years.

Between you and me, I'd avoid Playa Del Carmen for a time. If I went, I'd probably stay at a major resort (they pay their "dues" to avoid trouble) I'd avoid big, active clubs at night and in fact stay out in my resort at night. Walking around by day should not pose a problem, but I might inquire from a manager or assistant level person if there's anywhere I should not go. I'd hate to stroll through the area the narcos
have chosen to live...

For an AirBnB, I hope you know your host and neighborhood. Get local knowledge.

Things may have stabilized by now and problems died down, but in my experience - I have family in rural and urban Tamaulipas state - these issues can go on for years as the mix of gangs, wannabes, police, corrupt forces on either side, troops, police, etc. try to settle in and determine a stable balance of power.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 24, 2017 at 10:07 am
Old Sep 23, 2017, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
OK, good, what is the outlook for Cabo, can we get a rundown for the two towns and the hotel corridor? I am thinking the hotel corridor maybe safer? I have a trip semi-booked for October, I was thinking more of a beachfront resort at San Jose Del Cabo, to be closer to the airport and town, but now I am thinking maybe the corridor?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nk15
OK, good, what is the outlook for Cabo, can we get a rundown for the two towns and the hotel corridor? I am thinking the hotel corridor maybe safer? I have a trip semi-booked for October, I was thinking more of a beachfront resort at San Jose Del Cabo, to be closer to the airport and town, but now I am thinking maybe the corridor?
I too have a trip 'semi booked' for the last week of November. I will be a single woman traveling alone and I am starting to wonder if it is a good idea. I always stay in San Jose Del Cabo and I like walking into town for dinner.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Bloomberg: American tourists have been scared away from Mexico’s beaches

American tourists have been scared away from Mexico’s beaches

In the spring break capital of Cancun, Mexico, hotel occupancy has tumbled 10 percent this year. As bad as that is, over in Los Cabos, on the tip of the Baja California peninsula, it’s worse.

The airport serving Cabo San Lucas and its lesser-known sister city, San Jose del Cabo, is looking emptier these days. And hotel guests have canceled 35,000 nights of bookings over the next year—collectively a century’s worth of visits for a single traveler.

At a time when the weaker peso should be luring American travelers in droves, many are staying away, spooked by a wave of violence that’s come dangerously close to tourist hot spots. Gunmen opened fire at a Cancun nightclub in November, and a cooler with two human heads was found on Cabo San Lucas’s main hotel strip in June. But the biggest blow came on Aug. 22, when the U.S. State Department issued a travel warning advising tourists to steer clear altogether.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ay-from-mexico
Old Oct 26, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
I didn't notice lack of Americans in Cancun in September.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:31 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Weeks after Mexico logged its deadliest year on record, the United States urged its citizens not to visit five violence-ridden Mexican states, placing them in the same danger category as war-torn Somalia, Afghanistan and Syria.

In an advisory made public Wednesday (1/10/2018), the State Department issued “do not travel” warnings for the northeastern border state of Tamaulipas and the Pacific coast states of Colima, Guerrero, Michoacan and Sinaloa.

The U.S. tells citizens not to travel to five Mexican states - LA Times
Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by jaymar01
Weeks after Mexico logged its deadliest year on record, the United States urged its citizens not to visit five violence-ridden Mexican states, placing them in the same danger category as war-torn Somalia, Afghanistan and Syria.

In an advisory made public Wednesday (1/10/2018), the State Department issued “do not travel” warnings for the northeastern border state of Tamaulipas and the Pacific coast states of Colima, Guerrero, Michoacan and Sinaloa.

The U.S. tells citizens not to travel to five Mexican states - LA Times
I can’t disagree with that.

Guerrero is drugs country and has been the Waziristan of Mexico, with enduring family feuds and retributory raids, etc. since way back. Now it’s amazingly corrupt and narcotraffickerd are strong. My family used to holiday in Acapulco abd Zihuatanejo. And we’d be careful, drive only during the day, etc. Most recently, they’d fly from MEX to Zihuatanejo to enjoy their Ixtapa condo. They’ve dumped the condo.

Michoacán is a lovely place, and I love it. But there’s a narco gang and vigilante groups.

Sinaloa is Cartel Country with a vengeance and lots of drug growing. Even the cops are notoriously corrupt. One drug mule pilot told of the highway patrol barricading the Pan American highway firnhim so he could land and pick up his cargo.

Tamaulipas - I have family there, but I won’t visit them. The Zetas and Gulf Cartel fight it out there. (The Zetas were special forces troops trained and armed by the US who then “turned” and went to work as enforcers abd guards for the Gukf Cartel. That is until they decided to cut out the middleman snd go off on their own, taking on the cartels. They now control most of eastern Mexico narcotraffic on down through Guatemala, El Salvador, etc. and are bloodier than any of the cartels.)
Old Jan 13, 2018, 12:30 am

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
How do you see the current Situation in Loreto?
Old Jan 13, 2018, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by flyupfrnt
How do you see the current Situation in Loreto?
I e been and would go to Loreto. I’ve not heard any negatives. (I’ve not done any recent research, either - but it’s not on any likely stolen car or Drugs distribution route.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:24 am

Thoughts on a family vacation to Cabo or Puerto Vallarta (maybe Punta Mita?) in July? We'd be taking our two young children, ages 7 & 10, and staying in an All-Inclusive.
We LOVE Mexico! Our last family vacation was to Playa Del Carmen in 2014, and last May we traveled to Huatulco (no kids). We felt more safe in Huatulco than we do at home!
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by dm0506
Thoughts on a family vacation to Cabo or Puerto Vallarta (maybe Punta Mita?) in July? We'd be taking our two young children, ages 7 & 10, and staying in an All-Inclusive.
We LOVE Mexico! Our last family vacation was to Playa Del Carmen in 2014, and last May we traveled to Huatulco (no kids). We felt more safe in Huatulco than we do at home!
Those areas should be relatively safe. I’d give the edge to Pto. Vallarta - Punta Mita.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.