Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

What parts of Mexico are safe / dangerous for tourists? Safety, Danger, Security

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What parts of Mexico are safe / dangerous for tourists? Safety, Danger, Security

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Section 107
Indeed! I especially like the architecture on that side of town. A lot of office buildings, but with flair like in Miami - nothing like the architecture here in Washington DC area which is nice (classical/neo-classical) for the government building but boring as heck for the rest of the area. A lot of great looking houses there, too, if you meander through the side streets (although many are hard to see behind the gates).

The mall at Sante Fe has great shopping (particuarly with the current exchange rates) and there are great views over the city if you can get into some of buildings and see through the smog.
If the rains are happening as normal, a weekend day after a rainy night might be the ticket. On rare occasions after that, even Popocatépetl and Iztaccihuatl might reveal themselves.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 5 million miles
I crossed the border from Tijuana to the San Diego area last night. We spent a week driving down the peninsula to Laguna San Ignacio for whale watching. The protesters in San Quintin stopped blocking the highway a few days before we left. We spent time in San Ignacio, Guerrero Negro, Catavina, San Quintin, and Ensenada and felt totally safe.

The whale watching in the lagoons where the gray whales mate, birth, and nurse their calves was unbelievable this year.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by FlyForFun
I crossed the border from Tijuana to the San Diego area last night. We spent a week driving down the peninsula to Laguna San Ignacio for whale watching. The protesters in San Quintin stopped blocking the highway a few days before we left. We spent time in San Ignacio, Guerrero Negro, Catavina, San Quintin, and Ensenada and felt totally safe.

The whale watching in the lagoons where the gray whales mate, birth, and nurse their calves was unbelievable this year.
Great trip!

The protestors merely want a raise from the agricultural companies, as they've not had one in years. They don't have a beef with tourists, though I tend to avoid big groupings where police or military might enter into conflict.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 2:14 am

Programs: United 1K (Star Alliance Gold) IHG Platinum
I lived in Guadalajara from 1999-2002 (didn't plan on staying so long, but loved it and couldn't leave) and I regularly talk to quite a few friends down there. Some friends are lower-middle to middle class and others a bit more well-off. None of them feel safe and are looking for places to move.

I don't always give credence to state dept. warnings, but I have to say that with the number of locals that I know that don't think that GDL is safe, even those that live in the 'nicer' areas, it sounds like it's really quite dangerous... hate to say this because I LOVE the city and counting down the days until I can return without worry.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by burbuja0512
I lived in Guadalajara from 1999-2002 (didn't plan on staying so long, but loved it and couldn't leave) and I regularly talk to quite a few friends down there. Some friends are lower-middle to middle class and others a bit more well-off. None of them feel safe and are looking for places to move.

I don't always give credence to state dept. warnings, but I have to say that with the number of locals that I know that don't think that GDL is safe, even those that live in the 'nicer' areas, it sounds like it's really quite dangerous... hate to say this because I LOVE the city and counting down the days until I can return without worry.
Pues, ¡si! And some of the trips to nearby scenic parts of Michoacan, olvídate (forget it). But it's still safer than some, one has to seek local advice for areas to avoid, hours to stay in and acceptable transport, etc.
Old May 1, 2015, 12:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by burbuja0512

I was there for a few days in February. Felt safer there than any American city I've lived in or visited.
Old May 1, 2015, 12:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by JDiver
Good news; things are looking up.

BBC - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-31731842

These were the worst of the worst. The "Zetas" have established a vicious drugs cartel ranging from norther Mexico through Guatemala, El Salvadór and into Honduras.

A number of relatives live in Tamaulipas state, and I used to visit (and work irrigation on the farm) as a youth. You couldn't convince me to go on a visit to my relies in Tamaulipas.
Yea it's bad. I recently changed a flight from Tampico to San Luis Potosi instead. That being said, chances of something happening to you in a few days is pretty slim.
Old May 1, 2015, 10:34 pm

An episode of violence has broken out in Jalisco that range frim shooting down a government helicipter to settung fire / bombing of several cars and busses in the Guadalajara region. This appears to be a reaction of the attempted crackdown on La Nueva Generación cartel.

Another episode of violence has erupted on the border at Cd. Reynosa.
Old May 6, 2015, 11:50 am

An episode of violence has broken out in Jalisco that range frim shooting down a government helicipter to settung fire / bombing of several cars and busses in the Guadalajara region. This appears to be a reaction of the attempted crackdown on La Nueva Generación cartel.

Another episode of violence has erupted on the border at Cd. Reynosa.
I think that was just a one day episode. Hopefully.
Old May 7, 2015, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by slickvik
I think that was just a one day episode. Hopefully.
In my experience, crackdowns and wars like this can and often do take on extensive lives of their own with tit for tat reprisals, and civilians getting caught in the middle.

In fact, there has been a huge military crackdown in reply to the rocket-propelled downing of a military helicopter (killing six soldiers) and a series of concerted attacks and reprisals carried out by La Nueva Generación drug cartel in Jalisco and three adjacent states. Vehicles and trucks have been used as flaming blockades; vehicles, police stations and banks have been set afire. -Weekly News

I've stayed and transmitted in areas that were contested or experiencing difficulties, from Oaxaca at times of riots to various government difficulties, revolts, revolutions, even wars, in remote rural and urban areas in Guatemala, El Salvadór, Honduras, Nicaragua (Sandinista revolution - somewhat reminiscent of my time in Vietnam down to the smell of wet red laterite earth), Belize, etc. many times over several decades, most of the time solo, usually driving, sometimes using public transport.

It's hard to beat local knowledge, though, so it's important to ask people who are likely to be in the know locally. Today in Mexico, citizens and neighbors (including members of my family and friends) are using social media to keep each other informed about these issues, which can spring up in moments, using Twitter and other platforms on their mobiles. Photos of the helicopter hit with an RPG (from appearances) were taken with mobiles and Instagrammed in real time; in one frame, you can see the helo and the trail of the rocket as it closes in, another the moment of impact as the helo's fuel tank explodes.

IMO there's nothing like asking locals where it's safe, where and what to avoid, to insure one doesn't inadvertently find trouble; it's plain good risk management.

Last edited by JDiver; May 9, 2015 at 12:48 pm
Old May 30, 2015, 1:37 pm

In my experience, crackdowns and wars like this can and often do take on extensive lives of their own with tit for tat reprisals, and civilians getting caught in the middle.

In fact, there has been a huge military crackdown in reply to the rocket-propelled downing of a military helicopter (killing six soldiers) and a series of concerted attacks and reprisals carried out by La Nueva Generación drug cartel in Jalisco and three adjacent states. Vehicles and trucks have been used as flaming blockades; vehicles, police stations and banks have been set afire. -Weekly News

I've stayed and transmitted in areas that were contested or experiencing difficulties, from Oaxaca at times of riots to various government difficulties, revolts, revolutions, even wars, in remote rural and urban areas in Guatemala, El Salvadór, Honduras, Nicaragua (Sandinista revolution - somewhat reminiscent of my time in Vietnam down to the smell of wet red laterite earth), Belize, etc. many times over several decades, most of the time solo, usually driving, sometimes using public transport.

It's hard to beat local knowledge, though, so it's important to ask people who are likely to be in the know locally. Today in Mexico, citizens and neighbors (including members of my family and friends) are using social media to keep each other informed about these issues, which can spring up in moments, using Twitter and other platforms on their mobiles. Photos of the helicopter hit with an RPG (from appearances) were taken with mobiles and Instagrammed in real time; in one frame, you can see the helo and the trail of the rocket as it closes in, another the moment of impact as the helo's fuel tank explodes.

IMO there's nothing like asking locals where it's safe, where and what to avoid, to insure one doesn't inadvertently find trouble; it's plain good risk management.
Met some people from Guadalajara this week, they said the situation in the city itself is fine other than that one day.
Old May 31, 2015, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by slickvik
Met some people from Guadalajara this week, they said the situation in the city itself is fine other than that one day.
I'd visit in the city, and places like Tonalá, Ajijic, Tlaquepaque etc. (The Zaguán Restaurante y Galería, and Restaurante sin Nombre beckon for great food...)
Old Jun 22, 2015, 8:09 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FlyForFun
I'm curious about going to Ensenada and Rosarito in late August for food (specifically, fish tacos, but generally, everything). How would you describe Ensenada for a day trip (from Tijuana)?
Old Jun 23, 2015, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
I'm curious about going to Ensenada and Rosarito in late August for food (specifically, fish tacos, but generally, everything). How would you describe Ensenada for a day trip (from Tijuana)?
Easy. No problems.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Puerta Vallarta this November

We are going to Puerta Vallarta (actually staying at a resort in N. Vallarta) mid-November. Any updates on safety issues for tourists in those (or nearby areas).

If we have a driver, where can we go in those cities or surrounding regions, and where should we not go (let us say for one day sightseeing car trip)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.