FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mexico (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico-480/)
-   -   Buying antibiotics in Mexico (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico/1628723-buying-antibiotics-mexico.html)

Davidwnc Nov 14, 2014 4:44 pm

Buying antibiotics in Mexico

It has been a few years so I don't know if things have changed, but in Mexico one used to be able to buy some antibiotics (e.g. amoxicilan) without a prescription. A few months ago I heard that this is no longer the case, but I have not been able to verify if this true or not. Does anyone have any up to date information?

JDiver Nov 15, 2014 8:18 am

One can could* purchase amoxicillin without a prescription, AFAIK, as well as many other medications not considered controlled drugs or narcotics. The latter are more difficult to purchase - even Clarityn "D" is more controlled.

In some large "first class" pharmacies, you might even find a physician who will write prescriptions and administer injectable drugs. A friend gets his drugs from Mexico- made in Sweden, $600 a month's dosage in the USA, $50 in Mexico. And he's on Medicare :eek:, but his meds fall into a category that doesn't help him with the costs.

Deal with established "Farmacia de 1a Clase" establishments; for some drugs, they may have to order them from their jobbers if they're not on hand; this could take a day or even two.

*See sw3 below.

sw3 Nov 15, 2014 8:29 pm

Here's the list of antibiotics that require prescription, it includes amoxicillin. http://www.cofepris.gob.mx/AZ/Docume...tibioticos.pdf

Anything else that is classified as an antibiotic will also be controlled even if it's not in the list. The pharmacy will probably keep the original prescription, so physicians that prescribe antibiotics along with other medication might write a prescription for the antibiotic and another prescription for the rest, in case the patient ends up buying them in different pharmacies.

HMPS Nov 15, 2014 8:44 pm

please deal with reputable pharmacists. There are a lot of counterfeit drugs floating around.

JDiver Nov 16, 2014 11:00 am

Originally Posted by sw3 (Post 23848184)
Here's the list of antibiotics that require prescription, it includes amoxicillin. http://www.cofepris.gob.mx/AZ/Docume...tibioticos.pdf

Anything else that is classified as an antibiotic will also be controlled even if it's not in the list. The pharmacy will probably keep the original prescription, so physicians that prescribe antibiotics along with other medication might write a prescription for the antibiotic and another prescription for the rest, in case the patient ends up buying them in different pharmacies.

¡Gracias! That is a definite change!

Muchos cambios - I see Chilangos will actually have to take driving tests to get a driver's license! :eek:

Connections can still access meds on the list, but for most a prescription for the generic medication will fulfill requirements. I agree with HMPS - deal with a reputable, established pharmacy always.

HelpinTJ Jul 24, 2018 1:07 pm

Purchasing Meds in Tijuauna

I have a staph sinus infection. I had the bacteria DNA sequenced at the Pathogenius Lab. I also went to Russia where they grew the bacteria in dishes and placed antibiotics on it. The only antibiotic which works is levaquin and it doesn't cure it; it just keeps it from killing me. I just returned from Tijuana July 2018. I was able to buy anything over the counter without a prescription. The US doctors will no longer prescribe more levaquin so I wasn't risking much. The taxi drivers who pretend to be your friends will take you to pharmacies which will charge you hundreds of dollars. Do not use them or trust them. You need to go to Revolution Avenue and buy from the pharmacies there. The cab fare should be $5.00. I had the bad taxi experience and was glad that I didn't buy too much. The next day I actually walked over the border and kept walking until I found the city buses. The driver spoke English and told me he would drop me at Revolution Ave. Under my insurance all of my prescriptions are $4.00 so I don't know what other insurance plans charge. 7 750 mg tablets of levaquin were $17.00. I went because I can't get anymore prescriptions for levaquin because of the lawsuits against it. Without levaquin, I die of pneumonia.

JDiver Jul 25, 2018 12:18 am

Go directly to a “Farmacia de 1a Clase” (they have stricter requirements) and avoid touts (including taxi drivers) because they get a cut of the higher prices you’ll get charged - and could take you to a dodgy pharmacy with a higher possibilities of counterfeit drugs. Some first class pharmacies even have a doc who can prescribe your meds.

I don’t know how reliable this blogger is, but check this page out.

See this article on Gringo Gazette.