Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Getting passport stamp when walking from U.S. to Tijuana?

Old Nov 12, 14, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileageplus

Hi Flyertalk!

I am taking a friend from San Diego to Tijuana. It will be his first time visiting another country, and he wants to get a passport stamp. However, all the times I've driven and walked across the San Diego-Tijuana border (into Mexico) I've never gotten a stamp. I went to Tijuana in August, and at the new pedestrian walkway entrance to mexico I didn't see any Mexican border guards that would stamp passports

Does anyone at flyertalk know what we should do if we want passport stamps? Should we just ask a random officer for a stamp? Or is there a specific building we have to go to get a stamp?

Thanks!
Old Nov 12, 14, 9:58 pm
Senior Moderator/Moderator: United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Let's enlist the help of the readers of the Mexico forum. I'll move this thread there. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Nov 14, 14, 5:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I've walked across at San Ysidro / San Diego border crossing and as we were taking a bus to Ensenada and staying for over 72 hours as well as departing by boat, we had to stop in at both Migración and Aduana (customs). (We wtook a charter boat from Ensenada to the Guadalupe Islands to dive with Great White Sharks - Guadalupe is unsurpassed for white shark diving, and it's so much closer than South Africa or southern Australia...)

So, look for the "Migración" sign and building as you enter - better positioned for automobile traffic, so look for the way. They might be able to help you out, but IMO be prepared for much misunderstanding, because they'll quite possibly be confused.
Old Nov 15, 14, 8:10 pm
sw3
Used to be 'etrevino'

Programs: AA, BA, AM Plat, HH Silver, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
I flew into the US and left by land a few months ago so there was no US departure record for me that time. I wanted an entry stamp into Mexico as evidence I hadn't overstayed in case I didn't return to the US before the I-94 expired, so I just went into the immigration office, asked for a stamp and got the stamp. I don't know if it would be so straightforward for foreigners but it might be. Google "Instituto Nacional de Migración" (INM) so you can see the office logo you have to look for.

Search this Thread