Search

Restaurant Recommendation in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2023, 8:08 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Restaurant Recommendation in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico

Good day, folks.

In June, we'll be traveling to Playa Del Carmen in Mexico and staying at the Fairmont Mayakoba. We are very familiar with Cabo, a place we've visited at least annually for approximately 10 years, but for some goofy reason, decided to change it up this time and go to the 'Cancun' side.

So, looking for recommendation on the best restaurants within 30-45 minutes (no problem Ubering) of the Fairmont Mayakoba.
We aren't concerned about the price and yes, we know there are some eateries at the hotel, but we don't like eating supper at the hotel. Half the fun/enjoyment for us on vacation is going out to eat every night.

Thanks!
Old Mar 6, 2023, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
PDC has a lot of good restaurants (and a ton of ok or bad touristy ones). You don't have to go further than that if you don't want to. It really depends on what you want. It's been a few years since I've been there and can't remember some of the names, and some may be gone. Most are not on 5th but nearby.

- El Fogon for tacos al pastor (around 30 avenida)
- Los Aguachiles for good seafood, obviously for aguachiles, but other stuff too
- There was a really good French restaurant maybe on 10 or 15 Avenida. Can't remember the name, maybe someone else can. This was owned by a French expat.
- Choux Choux Cafe is a good breakfast & coffee place. Also owned by French expats. If you happen to be off resort in the morning, worth stopping by.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 4:49 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JBord
PDC has a lot of good restaurants (and a ton of ok or bad touristy ones). You don't have to go further than that if you don't want to. It really depends on what you want. It's been a few years since I've been there and can't remember some of the names, and some may be gone. Most are not on 5th but nearby.

- El Fogon for tacos al pastor (around 30 avenida)
- Los Aguachiles for good seafood, obviously for aguachiles, but other stuff too
- There was a really good French restaurant maybe on 10 or 15 Avenida. Can't remember the name, maybe someone else can. This was owned by a French expat.
- Choux Choux Cafe is a good breakfast & coffee place. Also owned by French expats. If you happen to be off resort in the morning, worth stopping by.
Thank you very much! I've taken note and will check them out when I get to my desk/computer tomorrow morning. See if I can't get some reservations at a couple of them!

Gracias!
Old Mar 8, 2023, 11:42 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by F1.Cullen
Thank you very much! I've taken note and will check them out when I get to my desk/computer tomorrow morning. See if I can't get some reservations at a couple of them!

Gracias!
Wish I could remember the name of the French place. No reservations at El Fogon - you put your name in and hang out on the street. But it's an authentic experience with good food. Almost like street food, but it's a full service restaurant.

This is just my opinion, but the difference between Cabo and Cancun/PDC is pretty big. Cabo has expensive stores, fancy restaurants, etc. PDC is much more casual, don't expect a white tablecloth dining experience. We had some very nice meals in Cabo, but some simple, cheap, delicious meals in PDC. I'd be a little cautious of the fancy, expensive places in PDC. Been about 4 years since I was last there, so read current reviews. Just my opinion of course.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 9:07 pm

Forget about Uber in PDC. You will need to cab back and forth.

Try somewhere like Porfirio's.

I have lived in PDC since 2018.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 9:17 am
aap

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Silver, AA Gold, United Silver
Casa Sofia Playa Del Carmen

We just ate at Casa Sofia in Playa Del Carmen last night. It's a nice Italian restaurant with an extensive menu. Incredibly reasonable prices, excellent service, and delicious food. It's located in an shopping center/plaza. We are renting a car and drover there. The parking structure does have a guard at the entrance for added safety.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.