Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Car Rental in Cancun

Car Rental in Cancun

Old Dec 22, 2021, 7:56 am

Programs: Asiana Club Diamond (*G), AA PPro (OWE), Korean Air Skypass MC (STE)
I’ll break the mold and give a shout-out to Avant Car Rental in Cancun.
Was despairing of the poor reports of the leading name brands companies and found this mob from high recommendations off TA.
Can’t t say enough good things about them.
Website and booking easy to navigate and everything clearly explained.
Confirmation and instructions to meet staff emailed directly after booking. Actually meeting staff at airport was easy and it was a 10 min drive to their office.
On checkin, nothing changed. Price the same. $10 insurance per day 0 deductible, only glass and tires not covered. Extra driver free. Full tank of gas provided. Paperwork took 15 mins and we were gone.
Chevy Beat car in excellent condition all around, dings clearly noted by staff and diagram provided to me. Full explanation of phone numbers and who to call in case of any emergency or problem, clear instructions on dealing with the police as well.
I would 100% use this company again and recommend them to anyone.
EqualOpp likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 9:34 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; NEXUS
I'm quite surprised, but I have to give a thumbs-up to (gasp) Budget !!

My husband & I got to CUN on Monday (12/20/21) around 12:40pm. We got to the Budget counter & no one else was there. The guy was so nice & pleasant. And, he did our whole check-in right there (going over the contract, selecting the insurance, signing all the papers, giving him our c.c., etc...). We didn't have to do any other paperwork over at the Budget office. That has never happened to us before in all of our numerous car rentals at CUN.

The other guy at the counter took us out to the Budget van which was right there waiting. It was only us on the van for the quick zip over to the Budget building. Our Nissan X-Trail was right there, all ready. The guy there did the inspection w/ us & we were on our way quickly.

This was one of the best, most efficient car rental check-ins we've ever had at CUN !!

Now, this good experience is on the heels of a BAD Budget experience for our August 2021 vaca...... A few weeks before our Aug trip I asked my travel agent to confirm our Budget rental (that she had booked for us in Dec 2020 !!). She got right back to me that our reservation had been cancelled !! I didn't cancel it. My travel agent didn't cancel it. So, they somehow cancelled it & wouldn't make good on it & reinstate our orig. rez (that had a good rate). Thank goodness we had time to find something else (I ended up using EasyWay).

Anyway, we'll see what happens when we drop the suv off on 12/30. Hopefully they'll come through for us on the back end like they did on the front end !!
Old Mar 2, 2022, 10:47 am

Quick question, I'm leaning towards EasyWay, but am already faced with a challenge leaving a somewhat bad taste in my mouth: which is the official website for this company? A google search yields two almost identical websites, with the same layouts, company logos but with varying prices:The 1st website has much cheaper prices for the same car, in the exact same layout. What is going on?
Old Mar 11, 2022, 11:46 am

Any experience with Avis or National at CUN recently ?
Old Mar 25, 2022, 8:20 pm

Programs: MH Gold, AC Super Elite, UA Platinum, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by m3seeto
Any experience with Avis or National at CUN recently ?
Not recently, but AVIS screwed our holiday in CUN many years ago and I've vowed to never use them again. Long story short: we had booked a large vehicle as we were a group of 8. Came there, no car, no alternative, laughing in our face: sort it out yourself.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 5:42 pm

Programs: whatever it takes
So I just made a reservation with AMERICA Car Rental at Cancun Airport.

It comes with all the coverages LDW, TP, CDW, PLI, SLI, and PAI.

I think I've seen this elsewhere in Mexico ....but why is there a TP - Partial Protection for Theft, when there is already a 100% LDW - which covers theft with no deductible?
Old Aug 5, 2022, 10:13 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by EqualOpp
So I just made a reservation with AMERICA Car Rental at Cancun Airport.

It comes with all the coverages LDW, TP, CDW, PLI, SLI, and PAI.

I think I've seen this elsewhere in Mexico ....but why is there a TP - Partial Protection for Theft, when there is already a 100% LDW - which covers theft with no deductible?
TP and LDW are usually purchased separately: TP (Partial Theft Protection) is a lower cost option than LDW because it has a deductible of up to 20% of the vehicle value whereas LDW typically has no deductible. It would seem it's not necessary to have both but one would need to a good translation of the contractual fine print to know if there is any benefit to getting both. As to both being in a bundle - it would not be surprising if the rental company takes advantage of/relies on tourists' ignorance and confusion about the insurance situation in Mexico resulting in the customer purchasing redundant coverage.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 9:04 pm

Programs: whatever it takes
Originally Posted by Section 107
TP and LDW are usually purchased separately: TP (Partial Theft Protection) is a lower cost option than LDW because it has a deductible of up to 20% of the vehicle value whereas LDW typically has no deductible. It would seem it's not necessary to have both but one would need to a good translation of the contractual fine print to know if there is any benefit to getting both. As to both being in a bundle - it would not be surprising if the rental company takes advantage of/relies on tourists' ignorance and confusion about the insurance situation in Mexico resulting in the customer purchasing redundant coverage.
well...all the insurances are included by default with America Rent a Car.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EqualOpp
well...all the insurances are included by default with America Rent a Car.
Yeah, I saw that too as I'm trying to figure out the annoyance of renting a car in Cancun. Frankly, since I apparently HAVE to buy insurance, I'd rather buy everything they want to sell as a single package so they have nothing else to hassle me about.

My initial research indicates that Easyway is the most liked of the Cancun car rental companies because they seem to have decent cars and, well, they make it easy. But they're also significantly more expensive than their still-OK-but-not-as-good competitors. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Like when I price out a rental, America is about 20% cheaper than Easyway. I assume I'd get a worse car from America but otherwise a pretty similar experience?
Old Nov 20, 2022, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone recently rent from Avis in Cancun? The rates are fine, and given my itinerary it would be the easiest company for me to use (especially since I'm a President's Club member with them, and they have a convenient drop off location at my hotel), but dealing with the insurance seems like a hassle with Avis. I know I need liability coverage in Mexico, and the local companies (like America and EasyWay) include all the coverages. Is there a reasonable solution, or should I just avoid Avis to save myself some hassle and expense?
Old Apr 10, 2023, 7:50 am

Just completed a rental with Easyway in Cancun. All third party rental pick up is done just outside the airport past the row of official tour salespersons and past the guarded sliding door. The rep waiting there isn't the driver. He just coordinates pick up. From getting out of the airport to finally driving off in the rental took about an hour, the longest part of which was waiting from the pick up van. Price was as quoted. I drove all over the Yucatan without any issues. Never stopped by police. Moderate traffic from time to time. Nothing crazy. I would recommend only cash transactions outside of resorts so withdraw pesos from the resort for gas. Only caution about driving are the speed bumps from hell. Usually present when there are roadside stalls nearby, they can appear without warning. Most roads besides 307 are single lanes and to pass, you need to drive into oncoming traffic. You will need to do this from time to time so you need to be comfortable with doing that. Return to Easyway was smooth. In and out and driven to the airport all in about 15 minutes, though I was told to set aside an hour just in case. Would rent from Easyway again.
boonkoh and jmrp like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.