Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Car Rental in Cancun

Car Rental in Cancun

Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:56 am

I've used Easyway in Cancun several times. The staff is very nice, honest, and helpful. The prices, with full insurance, are reasonable, and the cars we have gotten are in good shape.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
I've rented from this company. The rates include insurance. They do offer a glass and tire coverage for an addition $5 a day to make it a true zero deductible coverage. Just as a note the coverage does not apply if you are driving under the influence .
America Car Rental: Our Vehicles | Cancun Car Rental
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:16 am

I also recommend you Easyway!
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:06 pm

AVIS at CUN is a disaster

Just rented from AVIS in Cancun. Stay away!! Here's how it went:
It's the first booth coming out of immigration with a friendly rep who takes you to another rep who takes you to the AVIS shuttle. So far, so good, well organized even, but after that our experience didn't go downhill so much as it hit a wall. I chose the AVIS Preferred desk, because, of course, right? They put a guy there who looked competent but was the opposite. Every click and data entry item required him to ask someone how to do it. Why he needed to do 50 clicks and data entries is the big question. I hadn't prepaid, my bad, but I had made a reservation and selected everything and essentially they had all the info they neededn The guy next to me got done only slightly faster than me and he was at a "prepaid" marked counter. It ended up taking me a full 50 minutes to get my car! It was like the old days, 1990s, renting in a 2nd or 3rd world country -- I've had massively better experiences in the last 10-15 years including in Cancun with Avis! So not sure what happened.
​​​​​​Only highlight: English contract (yes, you do have to sign on paper, apparently even if you completed your booking online) and he gave me good and fast instructions for each page about what I was signing.
Oh, another lowlight: you get a timeshare sales pitch when you think you're finally getting your car! Free breakfast and $100 for a 90-min presentation at a resort. Jeez, we really are back in the 90s. FU, Avis!!
So recommendations: Don't use Avis. If you must, complete booking and prepay before you arrive in Mexico for sure. Maybe try using a voucher program (like holidayautos.com). Personally, I think I'll try EasyWay next time since I've find multiple post here that over the years have recommended it. Certainly I'm NOT going to give AVIS another try

Last edited by jfab; Mar 15, 2019 at 10:28 pm
Old Nov 10, 2019, 10:03 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Another thumbs up for Easy Way + dirty cops in Quintana Roo

Based on the recommendations here and elsewhere online, I rented with Easy Way as they were one-third the price of the major brands. $135 for 4 days including zero-deductible insurance was a very good deal. Prompt pick up at the airport by a friendly employee, quick paperwork process and a thorough review (a la Enterprise style) of the manual transmission Dodge Attitude. Return was a 1-minute process and we were promptly returned to the airport by an employee in the same car we had just returned. I experienced better service than some of the elite-level Avis properties I have used.

One of our driving days, my wife and I drove from Playa del Carmen to Chichen Itza. Using the major highway on the way back, we passed a police inspection point right at the state line between Yucatan and Quintana Roo. I was flagged down and told to pull over. The officer asked for my license and passport.

Having read numerous other posts online on how to deal with Mexican police, I did not panic and knew exactly how to get out of the situation. Never give them your passport!!! It'll be held hostage until money exchanges hands. Drivers license isn't such a big deal as I can get that replaced back home in a matter of hours. Anyway. I gave him my license but told him the passports were back at the hotel. Of course, he said this was a major problem and the fine for not having our passports with us was $4000 MEX for each of us.

Never get upset. Never suggest a lesser amount. Always be exceedingly polite and respectful, ask them to spell their name and provide you with their badge number. Make a point of writing it all down including their license plate number. Never take photos as I have heard this will freak out many of the dirty cops.

If you plan to drive in Quintana Roo and/or Yucatan, the most important thing you can do is to ABSOLUTELY print and tape a small piece of paper to the back of your drivers license with the following details:

Sindicatura del Gobierno Municipos
Benito Jurez, Cancn, Quintana Roo
Municipal Palace, Av. Tulum No. 5 Sm. 5
CP 77500, Benito Jurez
Tel. (998) 881 28 00 x8100

Direccin de la Polica Municipal
Estado de Yucatan
Calle 57 nmero 459 entre 52 y 54, Colonia Centro
Tel. (999) 942 00 70
Mario Arturo Romero Escalante
Comisionado - Director
[email protected]

Lic. Juan Eduardo Maza Poot
Coordinador de Servicios Internos
Departamento de Asuntos Internos y Averiguaciones
[email protected]

Sindicatura del Gobierno Municipos
Benito Jurez, Cancn, Quintana Roo
Municipal Palace, Av. Tulum No. 5 Sm. 5
CP 77500, Benito Jurez
Tel. (998) 881 28 00 x8100

Direccin de la Polica Municipal
Estado de Yucatan
Calle 57 nmero 459 entre 52 y 54, Colonia Centro
Tel. (999) 942 00 70
Mario Arturo Romero Escalante
Comisionado - Director
[email protected]

Lic. Juan Eduardo Maza Poot
Coordinador de Servicios Internos
Departamento de Asuntos Internos y Averiguaciones
[email protected]

This info contains the public worker's union officiants specifically charged with investigating police matters,and firing corrupt officials. It is called the "Sindicatura," and it is a name you should remember. It is pronounced "seen-dee-kah-too-ra."

It does not matter if the officer speaks English, or understands anything of what you are saying. When he hears that word, the game is usually over. It has been said by a Mexican observer, "Sindicatura to a police officer is like a crucifix to a vampire." They are the "untouchables" of the local government.

Guess what? IT WORKED! Police officer 1 opened the small, folded document I printed and taped to my license and looked at me. All I said was "informacion de sindicatura" and he quickly walked to the police car behind me to discuss it with officer 2. I could see officer 2 in my rearview mirror carefully reading the note and then laughing. He waved off officer 1 who came back to my window, handed me my license and said I can leave. No pleasantries or warning, just...go!

Last edited by MileageAddict; Nov 10, 2019 at 10:08 am
Old Dec 2, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Just rented 2 cars from Easyway. The cars were in good condition. They are off airport but the pick-up and drop-off was very smooth. The rental process is completely manual with no issues but could be slow with a crowd. They take most credit cards including Amex. There's a Pemex gas station immediately in front of the entrance (in fact you need to pull into the Pemex and get on the road behind it to get to the relatively poorly marked entrance) for easy fuel top-off on return. They do give you the car with however much gas is in the tank, not necessarily full and you return it the same. No hassles and no problems. Definitely would use them again.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 1:20 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Pricing out car rental on EasyWay (like fellow FTers) with full insurance. Seems to be a pretty good deal and good reviews as well.

Quick question - do I need GPS if I am staying around Tulum mostly? Looking at Google maps, it seems fairly simple but an additional 20 bucks is not too much if GPS can be helpful.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 11:36 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Pricing out car rental on EasyWay (like fellow FTers) with full insurance. Seems to be a pretty good deal and good reviews as well.

Quick question - do I need GPS if I am staying around Tulum mostly? Looking at Google maps, it seems fairly simple but an additional 20 bucks is not too much if GPS can be helpful.
Id say no, particularly with a smart phone and access. Someone will have local maps, and you might find it useful to download what you can before you go.

E.g. heres a link to a PDF: Tulum Tourist Map 2009 - Tulum Mexico ? mappery. Its a bit dated, but a good Googling should come up with a more recent one.
carsnoceans likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:45 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I used Google maps without issue. Just remember to download offline maps before you go if you aren't going to have data.
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; NEXUS
Originally Posted by carsnoceans

I'd say save your 20 bucks on the GPS & put it towards some of these maps: https://www.cancunmap.com/

They're worth their weight in gold !! We've been buying them & each new version since the late 90's -- they're awesome !!

You won't need GPS to get to Tulum. :-) Just head south out of CUN onto 307 & drive about 1.5 hours. Then turn left at the light (look for the 7-11 store diagonally across the intersection) if you're heading to the beach. Done. :-)

Ah, good, I found a pic where I got the signs & the 7-11. 7-11 is still there (as of last month), but the signs might not still be exactly the same.
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Another vote for Easy Way. I have the Verizon unlimited plan that includes free data in Mexico and Canada. I used my phone for mapping and all other things just like I was at home. The Gulf gas station just north of Puerto Morelos tried to rip me off by distracting me to look at my front tire. The LaGas station further north of Puerto Morelos was honest and efficient.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 4:13 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

I have read the thread and understand that the recommendation is Easyway and to take the full insurance plus make sure to examine car and take pictures. Does any of you know if we can rent the Easyway car in Cancun at the airport and hand it back in Tulum? Where in Tulum?

Last edited by Musken; Mar 3, 2020 at 2:06 am
Old Dec 28, 2020, 10:05 am

Easyway - Merida (also with offices in CUN and PDC)

In early December, I could have taken the ADO bus from Merida to PDC, but chose to rent a car due to social distancing.

Someone on TA recommended Easy Way as the advertised rates were all in, unlike the major car rental firms. Booked the cheapest car I could and of course it was not available. But the franchise quickly responded to all of my questions, so I still rented a car, but at a 40% premium.

The agent was supposed to meet me at the airport, by the taxi stand (even my phone number and flight number was requested so that they could ensure their appearance); the agent would have an Easy Way shirt on. Of course the agent was not there.

I waited a bit and ended up calling. Ill be there in 10 minutes. It was closer to 30 minutes. He showed up without an Easy Way shirt, but he did have identification, so that was OK. The drive to the Easy Way office was about 20 minutes (and there was no traffic).

In Mexico, I always expect upsells. But the price was as quoted, no additional costs, no major restrictions (except the car had to stay on the Yucatan Peninsula no travel outside those 3 states). All damage was thoroughly documented. And no deposit on the credit card. The only issue that I had was your card will be charged in Pesos. Normally OK, but the exchange rate was calculated at 22 MXD/1 USD vs. current exchange rate of approximately 20 MXD. So there was actually a 10% premium over the quoted price of the car. Not horrible as everything else was so straight-forward.

All in all, it was 2 hours from the time I exited the airport to the time I left the rental car office. (Not sure if any other agency would be worse or better.)

When I dropped the car back at the office, no one was there, no one answered the numbers on the contract. Fortunately the agent had provided me his mobile # at checkout. He did answer and said he could be there in 30-40 minutes. Not a big deal as I had plenty of time, but what if I had a flight to catch?

Check-in was very easy; painless. I signed a receipt and he signed a receipt. He checked the fuel and the spare tire.

I went outside to get an Uber back to my hotel and he came out and offered me a ride for a 'small' tip. I gave him $10 USD as the hotel was 20 minutes away.

So some pluses and minuses. I didn't like the waits and I didn't like the 10% premium, but as compared to my experiences in Mexico with Hertz and Avis (where I have 'status' with both), Easy Way was great and I'd likely use Easy Way again.

Easy Way is located in Merida Centro - FYI.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 2:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I used Hertz last November and had a negative experience. Here's a link to the write up I did about it in the Hertz forum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hert...ll-report.html
Old Dec 14, 2021, 12:12 am

Programs: status free since 2017
After doing all the reading on Yucatan rentals (Cancun/PDC/Tulum) area, I am drawing these conclusions -

1. Easyway for rental agency
2. Nevermind the coverage provided by CSR/CSP, I should get full coverage from agency

Honestly just trying to reduce the costs for #2. Otherwise I would have to do rental on select days.

Btw. how does pickup/dropoff work in PDC/Tulum? Do they (easyway) offer a pickup service?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.