FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mexico (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico-480/)
-   -   Car Rental in Cancun (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico/1583335-car-rental-cancun.html)

dakid23 Jul 26, 2015 1:02 pm

I also was thinking about renting a car in Cancun. I'm staying in Playa Del Carmen but only want to use the car for two days (Staying a total of 6 days) is it worth it for me?

JDiver Jul 27, 2015 9:43 am

Originally Posted by dakid23 (Post 25175513)
I also was thinking about renting a car in Cancun. I'm staying in Playa Del Carmen but only want to use the car for two days (Staying a total of 6 days) is it worth it for me?

You might find hiring a taxi cost effective and less hassle.

georgeroads Jul 27, 2015 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK (Post 25173853)
OK, I did some on-line checking. The best I got was with an unspecified provider through easycars: they said the one-way additional charge would be USD93. Weighed against bus fares for three + taxi transfers + convenience, that doesn't seem too bad.

But considering your advice, and with only 6 or 7 days to play with, perhaps staying those days in Cancun would be sensible, leaving Merida for another trip. My only concern is the resort, disney-world, nature of Cancun.

I spent a couple months last year and hit Merida and Progresso in summer. Merida has great restaurant scene but is very hot and Progresso is disappointing, no good beach and subpar lodging. I would recommend doing the ruins at Tulum where you can take a swim where the Mayans did years ago. Similar old rocks as Chichen Itza with less heat and mosquitoes. Also check on the cenotes along the coast for swimming in caves. There's plenty to do outside but nearer to the CUN area such as Isla Mujeres, Holbox or Cozumel all of which would be good for 1 or 2 nights. I definitely prefer PDC over CUN mainly because PDC is so much more walkable.

BTW the toll road between MID and CUN was about $40 each way. All toll roads in Mexico are pricey. If you do go check out, Vallodolid about half way between the 2 cities for lunch.

IAN-UK Jul 27, 2015 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by georgeroads (Post 25180658)
I spent a couple months last year and hit Merida and Progresso in summer. Merida has great restaurant scene but is very hot and Progresso is disappointing, no good beach and subpar lodging. I would recommend doing the ruins at Tulum where you can take a swim where the Mayans did years ago. Similar old rocks as Chichen Itza with less heat and mosquitoes. Also check on the cenotes along the coast for swimming in caves. There's plenty to do outside but nearer to the CUN area such as Isla Mujeres, Holbox or Cozumel all of which would be good for 1 or 2 nights. I definitely prefer PDC over CUN mainly because PDC is so much more walkable.

BTW the toll road between MID and CUN was about $40 each way. All toll roads in Mexico are pricey. If you do go check out, Vallodolid about half way between the 2 cities for lunch.

Thanks for that. The idea developing is a Tulum beachside boutiquey sort of place for a couple of days followed by a couple more nights at a Cancun strip hotel. My tart-like association with hotel programmes means that will be the Intercontinental (so try to say nice things about it if you comment).

I had a "duh" moment when i looked up the PDC code. I couldn't quite work out why you preferred rural Wisconsin to Cancun for holiday trips (Prairie du Chien municipal airport) :D

KebaNYC Jul 29, 2015 4:39 pm

Still Confused

I have rented dozens of times in Cancun and other parts of Mexico but I am always confused about the insurance options no matter how much research I do prior to the trip. As a traveler and Flyertalker I should be better prepared and knowledgeable about what is the right thing to do but it is the same experience every year. On every rental in Mexico I walk up to the desk, look at the options and get totally confused, especially because I know they will look over the car very carefully upon return.

National lists 5 insurance options: (Prices are from last year)

• Third party liability for $14/day covers persons up to $75KUSD
  • PAI Personal accident for $3/day covers medical expenses of driver up to 50k USD
  • CDW Collision for $15/day covers collision or theft + Deductible
  • CDW-E $8/day on top of the regular CDW - I don't know what this adds
  • DP $11/day for deductible protection

I know about the mandatory insurance for liability but what about the other insurance? I usually rent using my Starwood Amex but I don't know if this covers anything in Mexico or how it would work. Fortunately, I have never had any of them say I caused any damage but I am sure that is because I took the full coverage.

For example, my one week rental last year for a VW jetta sized car was $397.

Should I just be paying for the Liability and depend on Amex to cover the rest? Is paying for the total package and having piece of mind the best thing to do?

I'm so confused but this year I am vowing to get it right.

Thanks

Keba

sw3 Jul 29, 2015 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by KebaNYC (Post 25192828)
I usually rent using my Starwood Amex but I don't know if this covers anything in Mexico or how it would work.

You'd have to check with Amex, from the info here http://www.americanexpress.com/us/co...nce-terms.html it looks like your card will cover loss and damage (CDW/LDW) in Mexico. Interestingly, Amex cards issued in Mexico don't cover car rentals in Mexico.

JDiver Aug 4, 2015 12:40 pm

The biggest problem for some in Mexico is that glass breakage and lost / stolen parts (ubiquitously missing side mirrors) tend to be excluded by most Mexican coverage; make sure whichever insurance you use - your credit card or theirs - cover that.

Secondly, or really firstly, your insurer in Mexico is your guarantor - bail or in case of a serious accident; otherwise, it could be "la cárcel pública de Cancún" (public jail) until it gets sorted out.

Though I've got AMEX, I doubt AMEX is going to send a rep to bail me from the notorious Cancún jail (venue of some riots and prison fights).

Mexico auto insurance - "tu seguro", your insurance primer

mthake Aug 9, 2015 10:08 am

Hi, we had just returned from a week in Mexico, and I'll add my experience. Hope this helps.

I reserved my ride on National.com, as I'm an Emerald member. Standard size car for $68 for the week.

Family of 5 got to the airport. Found the National window. No tenant. Waited for 15-20 minutes. No worries, we were excited to be there, smiles all around.

Tenant arrived, and was very helpful. She led us outside to the taxi area, where we awaited the National shuttle. 10 minutes later, we were on our way to the nearby office.

We arrived at the office, and that's when it sunk in - we're in a foreign land. When we arrived at the very small office, there were at least 40 people w/luggage sitting/standing outside in the blaring heat. I found my way inside, and stood in line for about 45 minutes.

Got to the counter. Very pleasant rep confirmed my reservation, and approved my complimentary upgrade. Informed me of the $25/day insurance is required. Thankfully, another English speaking traveler next to me told me it was mandatory.

All is well, went back outside to wait for car. 20 minutes later, the car arrives. 2015 Jetta, very nice condition. We're off to the resort.

A week later, we return. Everything went very smooth. No additional charges. Shuttled to airport.

Great times had.

JDiver Aug 9, 2015 12:40 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience, mthake.

Yep, the basic insurance is required by law (not agency policy) and is useful if you're involved in any kind of accident - the insurance company is your guarantor, so you won't have to spend a few days in jail.

KebaNYC Aug 11, 2015 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 25244333)
Thanks for sharing your experience, mthake.

Yep, the basic insurance is required by law (not agency policy) and is useful if you're involved in any kind of accident - the insurance company is your guarantor, so you won't have to spend a few days in jail.

Jdiver,

Besides the liability (required) do you just use the standard credit card insurance? Supplemental credit card insurance?

After researching what SPG amex covers it seems to me that taking the supplemental Amex coverage that makes it primary is the way to go. As I mentioned above I have rented dozens of times and never had any issues with damages or theft of items.

Keba

KebaNYC Aug 31, 2015 8:39 am

Originally Posted by KebaNYC (Post 25192828)
I have rented dozens of times in Cancun and other parts of Mexico but I am always confused about the insurance options no matter how much research I do prior to the trip. As a traveler and Flyertalker I should be better prepared and knowledgeable about what is the right thing to do but it is the same experience every year. On every rental in Mexico I walk up to the desk, look at the options and get totally confused, especially because I know they will look over the car very carefully upon return.....

Keba

Just returned and after 15 years of renting cars this was my first time not getting the full insurance package. I did take the Amex supplemental policy which makes Amex primary (you still need to buy liability from them) before I headed down to mexico.

As usual the rental process took 30 minutes at Budget and I made sure to go over every inch of the car, and I made sure every tiny defect/scratch/mark was noted on the inspection form. I also took photos all around the car. Same thing upon returning the car at the airport. No problems at all.^

The only problem with the process is that you have to sign several documents in Spanish including an extra blank charge receipt. There is no way to determine how these will be used or for me to know what they say but that is the way it has always been.

Keba

JDiver Aug 31, 2015 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by KebaNYC (Post 25355132)
Just returned and after 15 years of renting cars this was my first time not getting the full insurance package. I did take the Amex supplemental policy which makes Amex primary (you still need to buy liability from them) before I headed down to mexico.

As usual the rental process took 30 minutes at Budget and I made sure to go over every inch of the car, and I made sure every tiny defect/scratch/mark was noted on the inspection form. I also took photos all around the car. Same thing upon returning the car at the airport. No problems at all.^

The only problem with the process is that you have to sign several documents in Spanish including an extra blank charge receipt. There is no way to determine how these will be used or for me to know what they say but that is the way it has always been.

Keba

That's worrisome. I wish they had a law - but if they were consumer friendly, it wouldn't be hard to get the docs translated and print back to back, or merely offer the English version. :p

sw3 Sep 3, 2015 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by KebaNYC (Post 25355132)

I have personally only rented with Hertz and my experience is that they will either ask for a blank voucher to be signed, or they will put a hold on the credit card for a crazy amount, like 30000-50000 pesos or so, and will ask for a signature on it. These are as a guarantee just in case.

Upon return of the car, if everything's ok there shouldn't be any additional use for these. In the case of the blank voucher it should be canceled and returned to the customer, and in the case of the hold it should be canceled and both CC vouchers (the hold and its cancellation) should be given to the customer.

etch5895 Oct 21, 2015 4:23 pm

Hey, bumping this for current questions. Going to be landing in Cancun for a four day leisurely drive to visit Mayan sites at Uxmal, Chichen Itza and El Bakam. Renting a car from Easyway. I'm staying in Cancun in the Hotel Zone the first and last night, and out at the archaeological sites the middle two nights.

Questions:
1. What is the current level of cop corruption in and around Cancun regarding pulling over rental cars for bribe shakedowns? Trip Adviser has multiple threads but they mostly appear to be older.
2. Is Easyway pretty good about not 'inventing' damage to rental cars that they try to stick on the renter?
3. There supposedly is (or was) a card given to tourists with their rental cars that basically got you out of two minor traffic violations. Is that still in effect and does Easyway offer these? Any experiences using these when pulled over by a corrupt cop who wants to shake you down for money?

Thanks

VidaNaPraia Oct 21, 2015 7:09 pm

1. Never happened to us.
2. Nicer people I never met. No worries.
3. Tarjeta turistica. Limited area, around Cancun. Just ask them. If you lose it, it's U$50 iirc. Never used it though.