Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Pedestrian "Cross Border Xpress" /"CBX" Bridge links Otay Mesa, USA - TIJ Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
"CBX" Pedestrian bridge connects TIJ Int'l. Airport and Otay Mesa

"Cross Border Xpress" connects Otay Mesa and TIJ / Tijuana A. L. Rodriguez International Airport as of 9 Dec 2015
with enclosed pedestrian bridge, including U.S. Immigration and Customs facilities

Link to Cross Border Xpress website.

CBX is an enclosed pedestrian skywalk bridge exclusively for Tijuana Airport passengers who cross the U.S./Mexico border as part of their trip.
Q. What documents do I need to use the CBX pedestrian bridge?
  • Passport
  • Visa if required
  • Airline boarding pass
  • CBX ticket for bridge use
Users are required to have airline travel from (or to) TIJ (can be purchased at CBX ticket counters). Adults will be charged USD $18.00, with 20% discounts for those 65 or over and children 12 or younger; children through age 3 are free of toll charges. Tolls will be collected as of 19 December 2015. June 2016, parking is $15 a day.

The "CBX" consists of an enclosed pedestrian bridge that connects TIJ / the Tijuana A. L. Rodriguez International Airport with a facility in Otay Mesa that includes USCBP inspection area (SENTRI kiosks are available), airline ticket counters, an 850 car parking lot and access to multimodal land transport (intercity bus, taxis, Uber). A duty free shopping area and restaurant has been added.

CBX plans to add a gasoline station, shopping center and hotel some time in the future.

Link to San Diego Union-Tribune article 9 Dec 2015

NOTE:
Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
7 Jan 2016: Just received a quick and courteous email from CBX in response to my question regarding whether a passport card is sufficient to cross using the bridge. She confirmed that a passport card is sufficient as they have no additional requirements beyond what is required by customs and immigration and the crossing is considered to be a land border crossing.
Q. Why would I use this and fly out of TIJ?

Particularly if you live in the San Diego area, you can save as much as 50% or more flying domestic intra-Mexico services out of TIJ.

Q. Has anyone posted about their CBX experience?

FlyerTalk Community Director SanDiego1K has shared her experience in February, 2019 crossing from Otay Mesa, CA to TIJ airport in post #93.

Q. Are there lower cost alternatives to using the CBX?

Yes, but they entail less convenient border crossings (particularly inconvenient herding your baggage through) at San Ysidro or the conventional Otay Mesa crossing and securing transport to TIJ once you've completed border formalities.

NOTE: See Walking into Tijuana? (San Ysidro crossing & new PedWest Aug 2017)

Print Wikipost

Pedestrian "Cross Border Xpress" /"CBX" Bridge links Otay Mesa, USA - TIJ Airport

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2017, 5:26 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by DeweyCheathem
IMHO, the lack of reasonably priced transportation options to and from CBX are it's fatal flaw. I just got back from a TIJ to SJD round trip, and I did not use it. I know of a lot in San Ysidro where I can park for $6 a day.
I'm with you on the price.

I've visited San Diego a couple to few times a year for a long time, but don't rent a car (one of very few cities in US).

So even more of no brainer: hop on the rail to San Ysidro and don't pay to park @:-)

Haven't actually pulled the trigger, but I have found some excellent prices to Guadelajara that I've wanted to visit for a long time as well as (a few years back) great deals to northern South America.

Originally Posted by Barcky
The March/April 2017 issue of Westways magazine (Auto Club of So Cal) has a short story about CBX. The article says an average of 4800 passengers per day use this facility
No wonder there were reports of parking lot being full. Would not have expected that many, but I guess investors did their homework before shelling out their hard earned pennies.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 5:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by EmailKid
I'm with you on the price.

I've visited San Diego a couple to few times a year for a long time, but don't rent a car (one of very few cities in US).

So even more of no brainer: hop on the rail to San Ysidro and don't pay to park @:-)

Haven't actually pulled the trigger, but I have found some excellent prices to Guadelajara that I've wanted to visit for a long time as well as (a few years back) great deals to northern South America.

No wonder there were reports of parking lot being full. Would not have expected that many, but I guess investors did their homework before shelling out their hard earned pennies.
What has made CBX popular are the cratered Peso resulting in extremely low airfares out of TIJ to much of Latin America (and especially to destinations in Mexico), as well as the still prevalent belief that the San Ysidro border crossing has massive waits. But since the opening of the new West Pedestrian crossing into the U.S., the pedestrian lines back into the U.S. have become much more manageable. OTOH, the pedestrian crossing INTO Mexico at San Ysidro has become noticeably worse, as the Mexicans have begun to slow down processing, apparently to protest the various Trump Wall messages coming from Washington. But there's a workaround to that, which is to get an FMM180 in advance of the trip, the possession of which will allow you fast access into Mexico along with Mexican nationals. While not officially so, the FMM180 is actually treated as a re-usable multiple use tourism card for frequent crossers by the Mexican border patrol in San Ysidro, and they won't make you surrender it before leaving MX, so you can use it again and again crossing back into Mexico. I bought mine about 4 weeks ago and have used it multiple times, including for my TJ to SJD trip this week.

The FMM180 can be gotten in person at the San Ysidro crossing or online, as well as at CBX. I don't know if they make you surrender the FMM180 coming back into the U.S. via CBX. They certainly do not when crossing back into the U.S. via San Ysidro
Old Feb 27, 2017, 5:57 pm

While not officially so, the FMM180 is actually treated as a re-usable multiple use tourism card for frequent crossers by the Mexican border patrol in San Ysidro, and they won't make you surrender it before leaving MX, so you can use it again and again crossing back into Mexico. I bought mine about 4 weeks ago and have used it multiple times, including for my TJ to SJD trip this week.

The FMM180 can be gotten in person at the San Ysidro crossing or online, as well as at CBX. I don't know if they make you surrender the FMM180 coming back into the U.S. via CBX. They certainly do not when crossing back into the U.S. via San Ysidro
Thanks, some VERY useful info in you post ^ @:-)

Like your handle BTW. CarTalk fan maybe?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:16 pm
Suspended

Yes, both a lawyer with a specialization in financial filings such as IPOs and a huge fan of Click and Clack.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:49 pm

Yes, both a lawyer with a specialization in financial filings such as IPOs and a huge fan of Click and Clack.
You don't list your location in your profile, but you do know what the first question for you would be if you said you're from DC, right @:-)

Sheer luck, but I actually met them in Miami Beach many years ago

Great guys, both smoking cigars.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 7:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by EmailKid
You don't list your location in your profile, but you do know what the first question for you would be if you said you're from DC, right @:-)

Sheer luck, but I actually met them in Miami Beach many years ago

Great guys, both smoking cigars.
No, I'm in San Diego nowadays. Which is why I'm well attuned to the bargains available flying to Latin American destinations out of Tijuana.

I paid under $150 for my round trip ticket to Cabo last week on Volaris. Out of San Diego, it would have cost over $300 on Alaska, or over $250 out of LAX on AA. I have another ticket in April back to Cabo that cost me under $115. Tickets from TJ to either Mazatlan or Puerto Vallarta would be similar in cost to those Cabo tickets.

Sadly, the added costs of using CBX would substantially reduce those savings - but going through San Ysidro and skipping CBX avoids those added costs, albeit at some loss of convenience.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Like others have posted in this thread, the total all-in price of CBX + transportation made me balk. I crossed at PedWest from TIJ for $4 Mexican Uber plus $13 UberPool to San Diego Airport. CBX would have been $16 plus a $35 Uber (not Pool) from Otay Mesa. Now if I had been in a group, it would maybe be a different story. The thing that really got me was that Hertz was only wiling to price a round-trip rental car from CBX. They wouldn't price a car that started in CBX and ended elsewhere. Now, how many people are starting and ending a rental car trip at CBX? Get real, Hertz.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by stvr
Now, how many people are starting and ending a rental car trip at CBX? Get real, Hertz.
Uhm, the many many Mexican tourists visiting & spending their money in the US?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Updates in regard to cross CBX, check bags?

Any updates in regard to timing? Trying CBX for the first time in mid-May, flying Volaris TIJ-LAP, for a long leisure weekend. Departs just after noon on a Thursday, returning just before 5 pm on the following Sunday. We plan to drive, park at the CBX facility.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: Miles N More, One World
. OTOH, the pedestrian crossing INTO Mexico at San Ysidro has become noticeably worse, as the Mexicans have begun to slow down processing, apparently to protest the various Trump Wall messages coming from Washington.
I can attest to this. This is all true. I lived 7 years on the border in Douglas AZ. Not once was I ever asked for ID crossing into Mexico. We would dine in Mexico at least two times a week. Last year while visiting a friend in S.D. we went to get some smokes for a friend at the duty free. Our plan was just to buy the smokes at the UETA cross over, get some tacos and walk back. My passport was expired so I didn't bring it.

All foreigners were made to fill out a tourist form. Since I didnt have a passport i was separated from my party and taken to a locked room with other Americans.
I found it rather comical. I even met some people from the city in L.A. I grew up in and we had a discussion on who had the best pastrami in town. What happens is they fill the room up then come in a scold everyone for not having proper travel documentation. One husband and wife team were arguing with the officer. when he came to me I only spoke english ( played a dumb hass) and he just said get a passport and let me leave. it was about a half hour process.

When we walked back across, I just showed U.S. Customs my D/L and the officer just waved me through.
I have my passport and border crossing card now so I dont have to go through that again.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Lufthomie
...Since I didnt have a passport i was separated from my party and taken to a locked room with other Americans...
It's been a requirement to have at least a passport card (or enhanced driver's license) for land crossings for at least a decade. I'm surprised you didn't get hassled going back into the US along with whatever you went through in Mexico.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:25 pm

Programs: Miles N More, One World
When I lived in Douglas we went back n forth all the time. I last lived there 4 years ago. One thing an agent told me was even if I dont have an ID as long as I declare I am a U.S. citizen, they must let me in. I'm sure vetting takes place in those cases. I also do have an enhanced D/L as AZ's standard license will not be valid for domestic travel in 2020.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:49 am
Community Director Emerita

I bought our tickets for the bridge at the time I bought our tickets. I've printed out our boarding passes. Is the bridge ticket embedded in them? I have no separate documentation. There's nothing on the boarding card that shows it includes the bridge.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
From what I’ve read, those should be separate tickets. I’m wondering if the kiosks will reprint your tickets, or if they’re somehow available online? I’d hate to be charged twice. The CBX website shows:

Foreigner:

Passport
FMM Form (Forma Migratoria Múltiple)
Payment of migratory rights (only if your stay is longer than 7 days)
Boarding pass
CBX ticket
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I bought our tickets for the bridge at the time I bought our tickets. I've printed out our boarding passes. Is the bridge ticket embedded in them? I have no separate documentation. There's nothing on the boarding card that shows it includes the bridge.
We flew Volaris back to TIJ in early January 2019, paid for CBX as part of the airfare. CBX agent was able to scan the Volaris boarding pass, provide CBX pass. It adds some complexity, so a separate CBX document would be easier, but apparently not required.
JDiver and SanDiego1K like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.