Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Pedestrian "Cross Border Xpress" /"CBX" Bridge links Otay Mesa, USA - TIJ Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
"CBX" Pedestrian bridge connects TIJ Int'l. Airport and Otay Mesa

"Cross Border Xpress" connects Otay Mesa and TIJ / Tijuana A. L. Rodriguez International Airport as of 9 Dec 2015
with enclosed pedestrian bridge, including U.S. Immigration and Customs facilities

Link to Cross Border Xpress website.

CBX is an enclosed pedestrian skywalk bridge exclusively for Tijuana Airport passengers who cross the U.S./Mexico border as part of their trip.
Q. What documents do I need to use the CBX pedestrian bridge?
  • Passport
  • Visa if required
  • Airline boarding pass
  • CBX ticket for bridge use
Users are required to have airline travel from (or to) TIJ (can be purchased at CBX ticket counters). Adults will be charged USD $18.00, with 20% discounts for those 65 or over and children 12 or younger; children through age 3 are free of toll charges. Tolls will be collected as of 19 December 2015. June 2016, parking is $15 a day.

The "CBX" consists of an enclosed pedestrian bridge that connects TIJ / the Tijuana A. L. Rodriguez International Airport with a facility in Otay Mesa that includes USCBP inspection area (SENTRI kiosks are available), airline ticket counters, an 850 car parking lot and access to multimodal land transport (intercity bus, taxis, Uber). A duty free shopping area and restaurant has been added.

CBX plans to add a gasoline station, shopping center and hotel some time in the future.

Link to San Diego Union-Tribune article 9 Dec 2015

NOTE:
Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
7 Jan 2016: Just received a quick and courteous email from CBX in response to my question regarding whether a passport card is sufficient to cross using the bridge. She confirmed that a passport card is sufficient as they have no additional requirements beyond what is required by customs and immigration and the crossing is considered to be a land border crossing.
Q. Why would I use this and fly out of TIJ?

Particularly if you live in the San Diego area, you can save as much as 50% or more flying domestic intra-Mexico services out of TIJ.

Q. Has anyone posted about their CBX experience?

FlyerTalk Community Director SanDiego1K has shared her experience in February, 2019 crossing from Otay Mesa, CA to TIJ airport in post #93.

Q. Are there lower cost alternatives to using the CBX?

Yes, but they entail less convenient border crossings (particularly inconvenient herding your baggage through) at San Ysidro or the conventional Otay Mesa crossing and securing transport to TIJ once you've completed border formalities.

NOTE: See Walking into Tijuana? (San Ysidro crossing & new PedWest Aug 2017)

Print Wikipost

Pedestrian "Cross Border Xpress" /"CBX" Bridge links Otay Mesa, USA - TIJ Airport

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2016, 11:02 am

Just used CBX for flights to/from MEX through TIJ. It really is an excellent facility. There are free baggage carts from the drop-off area up to the Mexican side, where there are porters available for only a few pesos to carry your bags up through Mexican customs. I was surprised how nice the Mexican customs officers were. Seeing we were traveling with two kids she even started filling out the FMM cards with us to help us get through faster. We didn't have to pay the $23 as we were traveling for less than 7 days within Mexico. On the way back, when landing, we passed over the Otay Mesa border crossing which had cars backed up for miles, but upon landing there was no line at customs and we went from baggage claim at TIJ to waiting for our Uber in about 10 minutes. If traveling through TIJ again I would say it is well worth the $12/person or $40 a family.
Old May 21, 2016, 3:56 pm

Tijuana New Skybridge to San Diego

Has anyone used the new skybridge between the border in SD with TIJ airport?
Tempted to catch the AM flight from TJ to PVG and avoid the LAX hassle from SD.

Rob C.
Old May 21, 2016, 4:33 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Check out this great review/overview by Tiffany Funk:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...press-tijuana/
Old Jun 1, 2016, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by carlinrob
Has anyone used the new skybridge between the border in SD with TIJ airport?
Tempted to catch the AM flight from TJ to PVG and avoid the LAX hassle from SD.

Rob C.
We used it about two weeks ago. We took an Uber to the bridge, got our bordering passes from AeroMexico fairly quickly. Then made our way over the bridge and were met by the porters who bring your luggage down an elevator and through immigration/customs. Then it's about another 5 min walk to the AM with the porters to the AM checkin area to drop off your bags. There was a massive line for AM and only 2 agents working the non-premium line. Then through security. Seemed to take about 45-60 mins for the full process of crossing the bridge, checking in, and getting to the gate.

I would only do it again if it saved me $$$. I was in a group of 3 and was able to get a flight to Lima for ~$240. At that price it was worth the hassle, but it wasn't as seamless as I had hoped. It would have better if we had flown business/first to skip the line. Also, AeroMexico had trouble processing my credit card for the border crossing when purchasing the ticket in MXN. So we had to purchase the border crossing tickets on arrival. What I really dislike is that they expect you to save the paper tickets for the return journey across the bridge.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 12:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
Originally Posted by hiyo
As it is now, I pay $7 a day to park in Otay Mesa. The lot has a free shuttle to the border. If there are one or two of us, we use the free shuttle, then take a taxi on the Mexican side to TIJ for IIRC MX$150, so ~US$12, each way. If there are three or more of us, we spring for a $30 van that takes us all the way from the lot to TIJ. Either way, on the return we always take a taxi to "La Linea," walk across and call for the free shuttle to the lot.

The ideal trip is four of us with dive gear utilizing the van to get all the way to TIJ, splitting the van and taxi costs and parking. Comes to about US$25 each for parking and transportation both ways.

Yeah, the new system would need to be competitive to work for me. I might use it traveling solo or as a couple. I will certainly try it out once when it opens.
I've used CBX three times and it's safe to say I won't be going back to the old routine described above ever again. Otay Truck Parking is closed for cars now anyway. Parking at CBX is $15 a day now, up from $10 when it opened. We Uber down and back as we are usually gone for two weeks or longer. It's not perfect but I am a big believer in CBX.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 12:18 pm

Holy cow, does Trump know about this? Sounds like it's pretty convenient from the early reports.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 10:10 am

The parking situation at CBX is beyond horrific. The lot is way too small, so it often fills up completely. When it is full, they direct you to a very rough dirt lot...at least they tell you they will direct you. When I was there, I had to circle around three times before anyone actually directed me anywhere. They told me when I first entered to keep right and they would wave me on. I kept right and there was no one anywhere to be found to wave me anywhere. Next thing I knew, I was back outside and waiting in line to get back in. There was a train of cars behind me doing the same thing. Eventually, I just illegally parked in front of the building until I found someone that would actually help me, rather than BS me. It turns out the person directing people to the dirt lot was not actually there at all.

The lot is a bit scary, especially in the dark. The shrub bushes are 6-7 feet high and there are peaks and valleys from washout that would not be kind to a low car. The only bright side is that they did not charge me anything for my 8 days, so I saved $120.

Using TIJ spared me the wrath of the TSA, and $240 rt to LIM was too good to pass up. If I ever do it again, I will probably just take Amtrak from Anaheim to San Diego and taxi it from there, which is much more relaxing than traffic and parking nightmares.

There was no wait at all at CBX in either direction. I did not need to deal with the AM check-in at TIJ, but the security line was practically non-existent at 10 PM on a Friday. The only issues I had were with the absurd security at MEX. There was no line at all, but they ran my backpack through 10 times before they let me pass.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 10:38 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by downinit
The parking situation at CBX is beyond horrific.

<snip>

Using TIJ spared me the wrath of the TSA, and $240 rt to LIM was too good to pass up. If I ever do it again, I will probably just take Amtrak from Anaheim to San Diego and taxi it from there, which is much more relaxing than traffic and parking nightmares.
At that point, I'd just walk across to Plaza America and hop on Blue Line to San Ysidro and walk across the border and grab a taxi to TIJ there.

Coming back, well, that's another story, as pedestrian line can take more than two hours

But I'm a carryon only guy
Old Oct 22, 2016, 5:15 pm

Programs: AS 100K
question...what if my flight lands in TIJ at 11:30pm? Will i still be able to use this facility to cross over?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
question...what if my flight lands in TIJ at 11:30pm? Will i still be able to use this facility to cross over?
Yes, it's open 24/7. I am usually crossing after a midnight arrival in TIJ.

Be aware at that late hour Ubers are usually not available at CBX and one will need to use a taxi and it ain't cheap
Old Jan 9, 2017, 5:43 am
Suspended

With the cratered Peso, I'm seeing Volaris fares from TIJ to most Mexican tourist destinations on the west coast, such as Cabo, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta for $100-150 round trip tickets, so I think I'm going to be using this on multiple occasions in the near future.

I just booked a round trip from TIJ to SJD (Cabo) for $115 (2400 pesos) in April, and some of the other dates I looked at within the next month were as low as $90 (1890 pesos).

BTW, I've confirmed that a passport card (as opposed to a passport book) is sufficient for using CBX to fly out of TIJ for destinations in Mexico.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by DeweyCheathem
With the cratered Peso, I'm seeing Volaris fares from TIJ to most Mexican tourist destinations on the west coast, such as Cabo, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta for $100-150 round trip tickets, so I think I'm going to be using this on multiple occasions in the near future.

I just booked a round trip from TIJ to SJD (Cabo) for $115 (2400 pesos) in April, and some of the other dates I looked at within the next month were as low as $90 (1890 pesos).

BTW, I've confirmed that a passport card (as opposed to a passport book) is sufficient for using CBX to fly out of TIJ for destinations in Mexico.
DeweyCheathem - and how . Great feedback; thanks for posting.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 10:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by downinit
The parking situation at CBX is beyond horrific. The lot is way too small, so it often fills up completely. When it is full, they direct you to a very rough dirt lot...at least they tell you they will direct you. When I was there, I had to circle around three times before anyone actually directed me anywhere. They told me when I first entered to keep right and they would wave me on. I kept right and there was no one anywhere to be found to wave me anywhere. Next thing I knew, I was back outside and waiting in line to get back in. There was a train of cars behind me doing the same thing. Eventually, I just illegally parked in front of the building until I found someone that would actually help me, rather than BS me. It turns out the person directing people to the dirt lot was not actually there at all.

The lot is a bit scary, especially in the dark. The shrub bushes are 6-7 feet high and there are peaks and valleys from washout that would not be kind to a low car. The only bright side is that they did not charge me anything for my 8 days, so I saved $120.

There was no wait at all at CBX in either direction. I did not need to deal with the AM check-in at TIJ, but the security line was practically non-existent at 10 PM on a Friday. The only issues I had were with the absurd security at MEX. There was no line at all, but they ran my backpack through 10 times before they let me pass.
BTW, the overflow lot is now fully fenced in, with some lighting, but they are charging $15 a day for it.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 10:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hiyo
Yes, it's open 24/7. I am usually crossing after a midnight arrival in TIJ.

Be aware at that late hour Ubers are usually not available at CBX and one will need to use a taxi and it ain't cheap
IMHO, the lack of reasonably priced transportation options to and from CBX are it's fatal flaw. I just got back from a TIJ to SJD round trip, and I did not use it. I know of a lot in San Ysidro where I can park for $6 a day. Supposedly CBX has shuttle buses to San Ysidro, but they only run to 9:30 PM, and my flight got in to TJ just after 10 PM. I ended up taking a taxi within Mexico to the San Ysidro border crossing, for $12, and crossing at San Ysidro PedWest (which was completely empty, zero wait). Uber or a Taxi in the U.S. side on a Saturday night would have cost me over $20 in addition to the CBX crossing fee.

If I had used CBX, the crossing itself would have cost me $16 each way, and Parking at CBX would have been $15-17 a day.

Instead, I paid $6 a day to park in San Ysidro, crossed both ways for free with zero wait in each direction in San Ysidro, took taxis to and from the TIJ airport on the Mexican side for $10-12 each way.

If I had parked in San Ysidro and used CBX, while cabbing on the US side, it would have cost me ~$50 more. If I had parked at CBX and used CBX, it would have cost me ~$70 more.

This is contingent on knowing when and how the San Ysidro crossings will have little to no waiting time, but I'm familiar enough with that to know I would not have had a problem.

Last edited by DeweyCheathem; Feb 27, 2017 at 5:20 pm
Old Feb 27, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: Global Entry, UA, AA, BA, DL, Bonvoy
The March/April 2017 issue of Westways magazine (Auto Club of So Cal) has a short story about CBX. The article says an average of 4800 passengers per day use this facility and SENTRI and GE are available to northbound passengers. I'd never heard of it until reading the article a few minutes ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.