Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Pedestrian "Cross Border Xpress" /"CBX" Bridge links Otay Mesa, USA - TIJ Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
"CBX" Pedestrian bridge connects TIJ Int'l. Airport and Otay Mesa

"Cross Border Xpress" connects Otay Mesa and TIJ / Tijuana A. L. Rodriguez International Airport as of 9 Dec 2015
with enclosed pedestrian bridge, including U.S. Immigration and Customs facilities

Link to Cross Border Xpress website.

CBX is an enclosed pedestrian skywalk bridge exclusively for Tijuana Airport passengers who cross the U.S./Mexico border as part of their trip.
Q. What documents do I need to use the CBX pedestrian bridge?
  • Passport
  • Visa if required
  • Airline boarding pass
  • CBX ticket for bridge use
Users are required to have airline travel from (or to) TIJ (can be purchased at CBX ticket counters). Adults will be charged USD $18.00, with 20% discounts for those 65 or over and children 12 or younger; children through age 3 are free of toll charges. Tolls will be collected as of 19 December 2015. June 2016, parking is $15 a day.

The "CBX" consists of an enclosed pedestrian bridge that connects TIJ / the Tijuana A. L. Rodriguez International Airport with a facility in Otay Mesa that includes USCBP inspection area (SENTRI kiosks are available), airline ticket counters, an 850 car parking lot and access to multimodal land transport (intercity bus, taxis, Uber). A duty free shopping area and restaurant has been added.

CBX plans to add a gasoline station, shopping center and hotel some time in the future.

Link to San Diego Union-Tribune article 9 Dec 2015

NOTE:
Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
7 Jan 2016: Just received a quick and courteous email from CBX in response to my question regarding whether a passport card is sufficient to cross using the bridge. She confirmed that a passport card is sufficient as they have no additional requirements beyond what is required by customs and immigration and the crossing is considered to be a land border crossing.
Q. Why would I use this and fly out of TIJ?

Particularly if you live in the San Diego area, you can save as much as 50% or more flying domestic intra-Mexico services out of TIJ.

Q. Has anyone posted about their CBX experience?

FlyerTalk Community Director SanDiego1K has shared her experience in February, 2019 crossing from Otay Mesa, CA to TIJ airport in post #93.

Q. Are there lower cost alternatives to using the CBX?

Yes, but they entail less convenient border crossings (particularly inconvenient herding your baggage through) at San Ysidro or the conventional Otay Mesa crossing and securing transport to TIJ once you've completed border formalities.

NOTE: See Walking into Tijuana? (San Ysidro crossing & new PedWest Aug 2017)

Print Wikipost

Pedestrian "Cross Border Xpress" /"CBX" Bridge links Otay Mesa, USA - TIJ Airport

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2016, 1:00 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Section 107

Question: you said there are no windows to the outside while on the bridge itself but it seems like there are in the pictures. Are those windows just the separation from the return to the US lane?
Yeah, I guess I should have been more clear on that: the only windows are on the very ends of the bridge (on both the Mexico and US sides), but there are no windows on the portion that actually crosses the border. There are frosted panels on that section that let natural light come in, but you can't see out. I'm not really sure why they did that.

On a side note, I found it interesting that there are security cameras in the ceiling every 10 feet or so on the bridge itself.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 2:59 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Section 107
I have family in SAN and Mexico, so a trip to CA then crossing over to get to MEX is might be in the works for Xmas.
Just to be clear, the bridge has a single purpose: to get you inside secure area of TIJ airport (and vv) - you have to have a flight ex TIJ.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Just to be clear, the bridge has a single purpose: to get you inside secure area of TIJ airport (and vv) - you have to have a flight ex TIJ.
Yes, clearly understood from the outset.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 11:15 am

Per Airlineroute.net, looks like you can now fly Dreamliner to MEX as well as from there ^

Well, ^ if you only want to fly that, not so much if you are coming back from Shanghai (imagine my shock when I saw AM Dreamliner there ).

Originally Posted by www.airlineroute.net/
Posted at 0330GMT 18MAR16

Skyteam member AeroMexico has once again adjusts planned operations for Shanghai Pu Dong, as operational routing reverts back to round-trip Mexico City – Tijuana – Shanghai Pu Dong. The airline previously planned to operate Mexico City – San Jose/Los Cabos – Shanghai Pu Dong – Tijuana – Mexico City from March to July 2016.

The following schedule is effective April 2016, with Boeing 787-8 operation scheduled until 04SEP16 (Boeing 777 from 05SEP16).

AM098 MEX2126 – 2311TIJ0049+1 – 0630+2PVG 788 257
AM099 PVG1335 – 1136TIJ1316 – 1831MEX 788 247
Old Mar 18, 2016, 11:21 am
Used to be 'Scooter'

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Per Airlineroute.net, looks like you can now fly Dreamliner to MEX as well as from there ^
Yeah, the reason I started and ended this MEX trip from TIJ instead of SAN was to get a ride on the 787 in Premier Class. It was totally worth it - much better than flying Volaris from San Diego!

I found it interesting that the 787 I was on that morning came in from MEX (and not someplace in Asia). Apparently AM is running the 787 back and forth between MEX and TIJ (as a single flight - not a continuation of another leg), so that was news to me.

Last edited by SANspotter; Mar 22, 2016 at 1:02 pm
Old Mar 21, 2016, 1:53 pm

Well, for anyone who want to try this crossing, AM is giving away tickets to several destinations in South America.

OK, not giving away, but $240 r/t to Lima or Medellin

And yes, I've checked on both ITA Matrix and AeroMexico.com ^
Old Mar 21, 2016, 2:39 pm
Community Director Emerita

Who has parked on the US side? How much was it per day? What did you think about the safety of your vehicle?
Old Mar 21, 2016, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Who has parked on the US side? How much was it per day? What did you think about the safety of your vehicle?

SANspotter has a pretty detailed report including pictures on his blog.

Originally Posted by www.sanspotter.com

Finding a parking spot was a bit more difficult however. The lot was about 90% full as far as I could tell, and I did notice many people parking on side streets just outside the parking lot. This bridge seems to be popular! I did consider parking on the street as well (to save the parking fee cost), but I just decided to play it safe and park in the lot due to the fact that I didn’t really didn’t want to take the chance of having my car towed.
IIRC the official website posted somewhere in this thread has prices.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 3:03 pm

Thanks, EmailKid. Much appreciated.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 12:55 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Yeah, parking was perfectly safe inside the parking lot. The entire area looks to be newly developed and quite safe, so there shouldn't be any concerns about leaving your car there.

I paid $10/day.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by SANspotter
Yeah, parking was perfectly safe inside the parking lot. The entire area looks to be newly developed and quite safe, so there shouldn't be any concerns about leaving your car there.

I paid $10/day.
Very helpful. Thanks.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 8:45 am

Passport vs birth certificate to enter Tijuana airport

Has anyone traveled with a minor with just a birth certificate to enter Mexico through the bridge? We will be flying out of Tijuana and our 9 year old son is going with us but he does not have a passport. We have used birth certificates before when going through Tijuana but not sure if it is the same through CBX bridge.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Mrg19843
Has anyone traveled with a minor with just a birth certificate to enter Mexico through the bridge? We will be flying out of Tijuana and our 9 year old son is going with us but he does not have a passport. We have used birth certificates before when going through Tijuana but not sure if it is the same through CBX bridge.
Effective September 2015, everyone, including minors, is required to have a valid passport or other WHTI-compliant document (enhanced drivers license, passport card, etc.) to enter Mexico by land and sea. A birth certificate isn't sufficient any longer for minors to cross the border, unfortunately. I'd suggest getting your 9 year old a passport card which is only around $35 IIRC.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
Effective September 2015, everyone, including minors, is required to have a valid passport or other WHTI-compliant document (enhanced drivers license, passport card, etc.) to enter Mexico by land and sea. A birth certificate isn't sufficient any longer for minors to cross the border, unfortunately. I'd suggest getting your 9 year old a passport card which is only around $35 IIRC.
Everyone includes Mexican-US citizens going by foot and personal car into Mexico?

It seems like they still don't check everyone for a passport/EDL/passport card/tribal ID and the like in regards to WHTI.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 29, 2016 at 2:30 pm
Old Mar 29, 2016, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Everyone includes Mexican-US citizens going by foot and personal car into Mexixo.
At the land crossing they let Latino looking people through without a passport check, but if you looked white, you had to produce a passport. So I'm sure Americans did enter Mexico without a passport, but they weren't supposed to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.