Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Mexico City to Teotihuacan / Teotihuacán

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 3, 13, 8:09 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

Unlike most museums and archaeological sites in Mexico, the archaeological site of the Pyramids of Teotihuacan / Zona Arqueológica de Teotihuacán is open on Mondays. Plan at least a half day to explore, climb the Pyramids of the Sun and the Moon if you are up to it, visit the museum, see the various murals, and even houses with murals and running water in Tepantitla. If you enjoy ancient cultures and archaeology, you owe yourself a day here; if you do not go to the Museo de Arqueología in the city (closed Monday) for a national overview.

Link to Wikitravel.org page on Teotihuacán.
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 14, 13, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-Plat, Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold

We are staying at the Marriott Reforma. There will be 3 of us, one of whom is fluent in Spanish. Two of the three are VERY budget minded.

What is the best way to go to Teotihuacan? Hire a taxi/driver? Tour? or use public buses? Anyone have a general idea how much a driver would cost? how much and how long it would take using the public buses? I personally would love to get there earlier in the day to beat the crowds. Probably won't stay more than an hour and a half.

We are only in Mexico city for 2 full days and there is so much to see right there in the city.... is it really worth going to since we have so little time, and 2 of us are so worried about budget?

I wanted to add that often when I go to a city I will just ask taxi drivers that drive me from the airport if they are interested, or they know someone interested, in driving me around as needed rather than asking at the hotel as the price normally doubles once the hotel gets involved. Can I assume this is reasonably safe to do in Mexico City? The last time I was there my taxi driver was really great, gave me his number and was available to me for the entire stay at a reasonable rate. I wish I had kept his number but sadly it is long gone.

Last edited by NC_Girl; Jul 14, 13 at 10:47 am
Old Jul 14, 13, 5:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Budget? Take the bus.

I have to say, in one hour and a half you will not see very much, that's for sure, other than to rubberneck around and leave. This place is ~2,600 years old and was the center of a culture that supported a city of 150,000 or more, and influenced many other mesoamerican cultures.

Originally Posted by WikiTravel
By bus - Buses to Teotihuacán leave from Mexico City every 20 minutes from Terminal Autobuses del Norte (outside Autobuses del Norte Metro station (metro tickets are MXN3 anywhere On the network), Line 5, walk all the way to the left once you enter the terminal, gate 8). The buses may also stop outside the Potrero Metro station. A one-way ticket will cost MX$40 (1 April 2013). Check that your bus goes to the site entrance of Teotihuacán ruinas and not just to the town of San Juan Teotihuacán nearby.

From Potrero (Metro station), exit the station and look for white buses that go to Piramides -- they mean the pyramids of Teotihuacán. The trip will take around an hour, and the buses run until about 6pm -- check the last departure before you leave. You will be dropped off and picked up at Puerta 2 (Closest to the Pyramid of the Sun), or by the front gate (gate 1). From there it's a 1/8th of a mile down the main road entering the complex, you will be picked up there as well (consider getting to the bus stop before the appointed time as buses can fill up).
Tour? Will cost more (~US40 and up - as your hotel concierge - you will be with a crown of people but you will at least have some discussion - and probably visit the Basilica of Guadalupe, and the downtown Plaza de las Tres Culturas (not to mention maybe a shop where the company gets commissions).

If it's too much time for you, go to the Museo Nacional de Antropología (National Museum of Anthropology).

Taxi? If you meet a good driver from a reliable "sitio" and he knows the area you can see a lot.

Be careful about informal taxis - flagging one of them down might get you where you want to go, or it might get you robbed.
Old Jul 22, 13, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Budget? Take the bus.

I have to say, in one hour and a half you will not see very much, that's for sure, other than to rubberneck around and leave. This place is ~2,600 years old and was the center of a culture that supported a city of 150,000 or more, and influenced many other mesoamerican cultures.

Tour? Will cost more (~US40 and up - as your hotel concierge - you will be with a crown of people but you will at least have some discussion - and probably visit the Basilica of Guadalupe, and the downtown Plaza de las Tres Culturas (not to mention maybe a shop where the company gets commissions).

If it's too much time for you, go to the Museo Nacional de Antropología (National Museum of Anthropology).

Taxi? If you meet a good driver from a reliable "sitio" and he knows the area you can see a lot.

Be careful about informal taxis - flagging one of them down might get you where you want to go, or it might get you robbed.
Hey JDiver and others,

I was told that some museums (including anthropology museum) in Mexico were closed on Monday. Does this apply to the pyramids in Teotihuacan? TIA!
Old Jul 23, 13, 10:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Indeed, unless things have chaged drastically and very recently, the archaeological sites and museums in Mexico City and Teotihuacan will be closed on Mondays. One way to check current conditions is to see if a tour is bookable for Mondays.

Originally Posted by zhengqiji View Post
Hey JDiver and others,

I was told that some museums (including anthropology museum) in Mexico were closed on Monday. Does this apply to the pyramids in Teotihuacan? TIA!

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 5, 13 at 7:21 pm Reason: strike Teotihuacán as it is OPEN Mondays
Old Jul 23, 13, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Indeed, unless things have chaged drastically and very recently, the archaeological sites and museums in Mexico City and Teotihuacan will be closed on Mondays. One way to check current conditions is to see if a tour is bookable for Mondays.
A quick search shows that Teotihuacan Pyramids and Shrine of Guadalupe tour is bookable on Mondays, at hostelworld.com. I guess most museums close on Monday wile ruins open.(?)

Our temp plan is arriving MEX on Sunday morning and stay for three or four day. I guess we will visit anthropology museum Sunday afternoon, and one day tour to Teotihuacan on Monday (if not open, then move to Tuesday). I think in Mexico City the main activities are museums and ruins. Anyway, if those are all closed on Monday, how do we kill time then?
Old Jul 23, 13, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

I think I could spend days just walking around Mexico City just taking in the city. Use it as a day to just wonder around. It may turn into the best day there.
Old Jul 23, 13, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by NC_Girl View Post
I think I could spend days just walking around Mexico City just taking in the city. Use it as a day to just wonder around. It may turn into the best day there.
Thanks. That's what I'm planning :-)
Old Jul 31, 13, 7:40 pm

I got back from my first trip to Mexico City yesterday. Not sure if you have already left. The Archaeological museum (and almost all others) are closed on Monday as I disappointingly found out when I wanted to go to the Khalo museum.

The pyramids are open on Monday because that's where we went at the driver's suggestion instead of the Khalo museum.

It cost me a hundred bucks and change. I might have been ripped off but don't think so. He took me to the Pyramids then to the Basilica and a couple of other stops with a break for lunch. We left the hotel at 10 and were back around 4.

Personally if I had a short time in Mexico City, I would skip the pyramids. I found the City endlessly fascinating, vast and complex and certainly plenty to see, do and eat for 48 hours. But it's all a matter of taste and interest of course.
Old Aug 3, 13, 4:56 pm

IMO, $100 is not a bad deal for a driver and car to Teotihuacan and La Villa / La Basílica de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe.

The Museo Frida Kahlo / Casa Azul (and the Museo Nacional de Antropología de México and many others) are indeed closed on Monday; it's good to hear Teotihuacan is open on Monday.

Originally Posted by pollione View Post
I got back from my first trip to Mexico City yesterday. Not sure if you have already left. The Archaeological museum (and almost all others) are closed on Monday as I disappointingly found out when I wanted to go to the Khalo museum.

The pyramids are open on Monday because that's where we went at the driver's suggestion instead of the Khalo museum.

It cost me a hundred bucks and change. I might have been ripped off but don't think so. He took me to the Pyramids then to the Basilica and a couple of other stops with a break for lunch. We left the hotel at 10 and were back around 4.

Personally if I had a short time in Mexico City, I would skip the pyramids. I found the City endlessly fascinating, vast and complex and certainly plenty to see, do and eat for 48 hours. But it's all a matter of taste and interest of course.
Old Aug 5, 13, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by pollione View Post

Thanks for your info! I have three or four days in MEX so I'm planing a trip to the Pyramids. I will be arriving on Sunday morning so that day is set for Plaza Constitution and around. Monday will be the Pyramids followed by Museum Anthropology on Tuesday. On Wednesday maybe some other places in the city. Any suggestions?
Old Aug 26, 13, 11:00 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by zhengqiji View Post
Thanks for your info! I have three or four days in MEX so I'm planing a trip to the Pyramids. I will be arriving on Sunday morning so that day is set for Plaza Constitution and around. Monday will be the Pyramids followed by Museum Anthropology on Tuesday. On Wednesday maybe some other places in the city. Any suggestions?
The Anthropology Museum is quite large - I like to take my time at such places and could spend most if not all of a day there. Since you are already there you should also consider the Zoo and Presidential palace at Chapultepec - good tours.
Old Aug 27, 13, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

While we enjoyed Thotihuacan the anthropology museum blew us away! It was probably one of the best museums I have ever been in. If you like this type of museum, you could easily spend an entire day there. They only problem I had was my poor feet hurt after walking on the marble all day long. Learn from my mistake, wear comfy shoes...
Old Aug 31, 13, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I'm going to Mexico City later this week and plan on visiting the pyramids as well and am debating between taking a public bus or an organized tour.

Anyone have any pro's/con's to buses vs. tours?

I'm sort of leaning towards a bus since it's cheaper and I'll be able to spend exactly how long I decide on at the pyramids, I wonder if there's a good reason I should avoid the buses.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: