FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mexico (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico-480/)
-   -   MEX to Colonia Roma by Subway Mexico City (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico/1464367-mex-colonia-roma-subway-mexico-city.html)

rebech34 May 5, 2013 6:49 am

MEX to Colonia Roma by Subway Mexico City

Hey there,
Got an upcoming trip to MEX where I will be staying at Col Roma.
I'm in my 40's, don't speak Spanish and am landing at around 5PM. I have only a carry on bag with me.
From your expereince, is it safe to take the Subway from the airport to Col Roma? I figured that It'll probably be best to avoid taking a taxi due to rush hour.
Thoughts and experiences are appreciated!

Gracias!
R

JDiver May 5, 2013 2:48 pm

You will find it all crowded at that time of day, I am afraid. You will have to take the yellow (amarilla) #5 line to Pantitlán and change for the pink (rosa) # 1 line and know which metro stop to get off - probably Sevilla or Chapultepéc (but as you will transit through the center of town, as I said, it will be crowded).

Maybe the Metrobús line 4 would serve you better? They are less affected by traffic. See the entire system map here . It's easy to use, economical (30 MXN) and has somewhere to place your luggage.

And be sure to check the MEX - Mexico City International Airport master thread, which has some helpful information (including the Metrobús #4 information).

rebech34 May 5, 2013 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 20702172)
You will find it all crowded at that time of day, I am afraid. You will have to take the yellow #5 line to Pantitlán and change for the purple # 1 line and know which metro stop to get off - probably Sevilla or Chapultepéc (but as you will transit through the center of town, as I said, it will be crowded).

Maybe the Metrobús line 4 would serve you better? They are less affected by traffic. See the entire system map here . It
s easy to use, economical (30 MXN) and has somewhere to place your luggage.

And be sure to check the MEX - Mexico City International Airport master thread, which has some helpful information (including the Metrobús #4 information).

Very good information! Thank you!
Subway wise, is it Safe?

M60_to_LGA May 5, 2013 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by rebech34 (Post 20703182)
Very good information! Thank you!
Subway wise, is it Safe?

I always use the Metro as my primary means of transport when I'm in MEX, and I've always felt very safe doing so. However, I've never seen a tourist use it - in fact, I think I've only ever seen one other foreigner in the train, and he appeared to be living there.

The trains are usually rather crowded, which I think is a good thing for safety. I'd take the usual precautions and use basic common sense. When you enter the system for the first time, take a map from the ticket agent, and plan your route before you get on the train so you know where you're going.

I've never taken the train from the airport, but as long as you have other people around you and look like you know what you're doing, you'd probably have no problems with it. I think there's a bus that will take you from the terminal to the Metro station, or else it's a short walk.

JDiver May 6, 2013 6:19 am

I've ridden the Metro, buses, etc. many times, and though I have not been affected, there have been incidents of theft (picking pockets, bag snatchings and the like) on the Metro. I know people who have had incidents on the Metro with what sound like Colombian razor artists - the practitioner can razor a pocket or bag so the wallet, etc. literally falls out into a handy hand or container they have provided to hide the booty, which is then passed quickly onto a backup.

If my travels in other cities are of any useful indication, metros from / to airports are prime for these kinds of operators. Crowded conditions leading to jostling, people who are unsure of themselves because they are new in town and disoriented, perhaps even a bit tired from travel or even jet lagged, with important possessions from passports to you name it. Athens is a particularly fine example of this; the airport Metro #3 (Blue Line) is often in the news - phony cop shakedowns, theft, etc. - but many tourist destinations these days seem to be magnets.

Frankly, I'd probably avoid the airport metro with my possessions, baggage, etc. at rush hour and use the Metrobus. The links provided in the thread mentioned where this is likely to wind up anyway) reveal loading locations for metro and metrobus.

YMMV, and I am very comfortable in Mexico - but I keep my awareness up, because there are opportunists out there and common in the city.

flugvergnugen May 7, 2013 7:20 am

Echoing the above, it's safe, but pickpockets abound. Just be aware of that. Also, the Pantitlan station is (by some measures) the busiest subway station in the world, so prepare for crowds.

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 20702172)
purple # 1 line

Pink, actually :)
The A line is the purple one.

JDiver May 7, 2013 7:07 pm

¡Gracias!

With anything other than a - well, maybe anyway - I'd take the Metrobús. (Possibly a taxi, but of course a genuine one.)

Originally Posted by flugvergnugen (Post 20710897)
Echoing the above, it's safe, but pickpockets abound. Just be aware of that. Also, the Pantitlan station is (by some measures) the busiest subway station in the world, so prepare for crowds.

Pink, actually :)
The A line is the purple one.

globetrots May 27, 2013 9:47 pm

Technically you're not supposed to take the metro with luggage anyway---even a carry-on. It's too crowded. Taxis are so cheap there anyway (probably $20 to where you're going) that it doesn't make much sense. Use it to get around the city, for sure, but to and from the airport it's not a good bet unless it's well outside of busy times.