Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

CUN / Cancun International Airport master thread - what you need to know

Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: getagb
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Bienvenido to the Cancn International Airport / CUN master thread. Please feel free to add observations and suggestions, naturalmente. And you can also PM the original poster as a way to call attention to something in the original post that needs modification or change. Gracias!

Link to ASUR official Cancn International website in English (mostly useless, lists arriving and departing flights)

Link to fake Cancn International Airport website (useless and grossly outdated)

See post #1 in this thread for more extensive information.

Terminals "Terminal 1 is used by some low-cost and charter domestic airlines; Terminal 2 is used by all of the scheduled domestic airlines and some international flights; and the new Terminal 3 handles primarily international operations of airlines from North America and Europe." (Wikipedia)

Terminal 1: Charter flights, and Magnicharters, TAR and VivaAerobus.

Terminal 2: Mostly domestic flights, some international arrivals from USA/Europe. Aerolineas Argentinas, Aeromxico, Aerotucn, Air Transat, Avianca group, Copa, Cubana, Finnair, Interjet, LatAm, Southwest, Tui group, Volaris,

Terminal 3: The primary arrival terminal for interational flights from USA and Canada. air berlin, Air Canada and Air Canada Rouge, Air Europa, Air France, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, British Airways, Delta, Frontier, Interjet, JetBlue, LOT, Lufthansa, Spirit, Sun Country, United, Virgin America, Virgin Atlantic, WestJet.

Terminal 4: The newest terminal, some flights from United States, Canada, Europe, and South America. AirEuropa, Airfrance, Condor, edelweiss, Eurowings, Frontier, Icelandair, Interjet, Lufthansa, Southwest, Sun Country, Thomas Cook, Virgin Atlantic, Westjet
Some may be seasonal, see others at Wikipedia (link)

Transport:

Most recommend arranging transport in advance; see the thread in limos, taxis, transfers here. The airport authorized taxis are charitably described by some as a "taxi mafia", and unless you know how to deal with this ilk avoid them. Uber/Lyft is not allowed to pickup at the airport, although they can dropoff.

N.B. Members are reporting lengthy delays checking in (high demand times suggest 2.5-3.0 hours prior to departure) and delays on arrival for immigration and customs, particularly during high traffic times / high season. This can vary according to demand - spring break, Christmas plan for long lines.

Travelers from the USA no longer need to complete an FMM form on arrival, just the passport and flight# is enough to get through immigration.
Print Wikipost

CUN / Cancun International Airport master thread - what you need to know

Old May 21, 2016, 5:46 am

Is there pre-clearence to the US in Cancun or do you arrive in the US as an international flight?
Old May 21, 2016, 7:13 am

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
There is currently no pre-clearance in Cancun. You will clear immigration and customs upon arrival in the US.
Old May 21, 2016, 7:17 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by mileshound
Is there pre-clearence to the US in Cancun or do you arrive in the US as an international flight?
Mexico has no airports with US CBP preclearance. See the list here.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 30, 2016 at 9:10 pm
Old Nov 30, 2016, 5:19 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
anyone with quick turnaround experience at CUN?

I have 2.5 hours between an arriving flight from the U.S. and catching another flight back to U.S. (same airline, AA)

I'm assuming that is more than enough time but you all know what they say about assuming.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 6:38 pm

Programs: DL PM (was DL DM for 3yrs), HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
I did a similar turn earlier this year. On different airlines, not that it matters. You have to enter MX and start from square one like the local pax. Customs took about 45min, but I had plenty of time to eat some fish tacos and send some postcards before heading back through security. Then I still had time for some shopping.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
anyone with quick turnaround experience at CUN?

I have 2.5 hours between an arriving flight from the U.S. and catching another flight back to U.S. (same airline, AA)

I'm assuming that is more than enough time but you all know what they say about assuming.
Barring something totally unexpected, you should be fine.

NOTE: In response to a previous question, the construction at CUN is the new Terminal 4, to open in 2017?

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 30, 2016 at 9:54 pm
Old Dec 3, 2016, 11:34 am

Check-in delays (or not)

Regards to several posts here about long lines at check-in:

If you dont have bags to ckeck-in then those lines (and posts warning you about them) are moot.

Also, if you are travelling on days other than Sat-SUn, lines are significantly shorter even if you have to ckeck-in.

Have done recently curb-to-gate in 8 minutes flat for an afternoon flight. (Something I wud not even dream of at a typical US airport)

On the other hand, if you have bags to check-in and are travelling on Sat/Sun (most timeshare and AI are on weekly basis), do pay attention to posts here and arrive at airport at least 3 hours before your flight (may be even 3.5)

Cancun departure area is expensive (2 dollar bottle of water) but clean, spacious, plenty of seats, view of runway, with pleanty of choices for food and shopping. So getting lucky at check-in and being at gate an hour or 90 min before flight is not painful like most US airports. (Remember boading typically starts 45 min before departure but takes good 20-30 min as collection of mexico exit card always takes time)
Old Dec 3, 2016, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Sage advice, desi!
Old Dec 5, 2016, 6:57 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
I did a similar turn earlier this year. On different airlines, not that it matters. You have to enter MX and start from square one like the local pax. Customs took about 45min, but I had plenty of time to eat some fish tacos and send some postcards before heading back through security. Then I still had time for some shopping.
Originally Posted by JDiver
Barring something totally unexpected, you should be fine.
Thank you both.

I too was able to dine on some surprisingly good grilled fish tacos at Berryhill restaurant outside.

My turn left plenty of time to enjoy & get back inside terminal to return.

Side note: stopped by the Mera lounge which is part of the Priority Pass network of lounges. Some really good chicken tamales were being served as well as some cheeses and other food tidbits. Free drinks including alcohol (full bar).
Old Dec 27, 2016, 4:24 pm

Programs: A3*G
How reckless am I?

Anyone has experience with inter-terminal transfer at CUN?

On 1 Jan, I am flying in on United UA1072 at 1125 and flying out on Interjet 4O904 at 1500. As I understand, the two airlines are at different terminals and I will have to transfer terminals.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:24 pm

My wife almost missed the plane!!! She ignored the notices that flights were not announced. I had been walking around and boarded earlier to grab some room in the overhead bins. I was getting really nervous as my daughter was with her and they had the car keys. As luck would have it, my daughter panicked just in time and got my wife to the gate just as it was closing.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:46 pm

so just to be clear-
If I have printed a boarding pass and am not checking bags, I don't have to check in with anyone pre security and instead I can go to gate and show my passport there?

Thanks
Old Apr 7, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL PM (was DL DM for 3yrs), HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
correct
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:22 pm

Read something in a Hyatt Ziva review, curious if you guys think so as well....

Canada Transfers as opposed to USA Transfers for the trip from CUN to the hotel.... Reason being is Canada Transfers will allow you to order booze and have it waiting for you in the van.

Any reason to book with another company, or should I go with Canada Transfers? A couple beers on the 50 minute ride would be nice.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Im choosing Canada Transfers. First time in Cancun next month, although skipping the beers since we land at 6am. It's a bit early lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.