Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

CUN / Cancun International Airport master thread - what you need to know

Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: getagb
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Bienvenido to the Cancn International Airport / CUN master thread. Please feel free to add observations and suggestions, naturalmente. And you can also PM the original poster as a way to call attention to something in the original post that needs modification or change. Gracias!

Link to ASUR official Cancn International website in English (mostly useless, lists arriving and departing flights)

Link to fake Cancn International Airport website (useless and grossly outdated)

See post #1 in this thread for more extensive information.

Terminals "Terminal 1 is used by some low-cost and charter domestic airlines; Terminal 2 is used by all of the scheduled domestic airlines and some international flights; and the new Terminal 3 handles primarily international operations of airlines from North America and Europe." (Wikipedia)

Terminal 1: Charter flights, and Magnicharters, TAR and VivaAerobus.

Terminal 2: Mostly domestic flights, some international arrivals from USA/Europe. Aerolineas Argentinas, Aeromxico, Aerotucn, Air Transat, Avianca group, Copa, Cubana, Finnair, Interjet, LatAm, Southwest, Tui group, Volaris,

Terminal 3: The primary arrival terminal for interational flights from USA and Canada. air berlin, Air Canada and Air Canada Rouge, Air Europa, Air France, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, British Airways, Delta, Frontier, Interjet, JetBlue, LOT, Lufthansa, Spirit, Sun Country, United, Virgin America, Virgin Atlantic, WestJet.

Terminal 4: The newest terminal, some flights from United States, Canada, Europe, and South America. AirEuropa, Airfrance, Condor, edelweiss, Eurowings, Frontier, Icelandair, Interjet, Lufthansa, Southwest, Sun Country, Thomas Cook, Virgin Atlantic, Westjet
Some may be seasonal, see others at Wikipedia (link)

Transport:

Most recommend arranging transport in advance; see the thread in limos, taxis, transfers here. The airport authorized taxis are charitably described by some as a "taxi mafia", and unless you know how to deal with this ilk avoid them. Uber/Lyft is not allowed to pickup at the airport, although they can dropoff.

N.B. Members are reporting lengthy delays checking in (high demand times suggest 2.5-3.0 hours prior to departure) and delays on arrival for immigration and customs, particularly during high traffic times / high season. This can vary according to demand - spring break, Christmas plan for long lines.

Travelers from the USA no longer need to complete an FMM form on arrival, just the passport and flight# is enough to get through immigration.
Print Wikipost

CUN / Cancun International Airport master thread - what you need to know

Old Aug 12, 2013, 11:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Bumping up as this may slide below the horizon with the six month threads default.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 1:35 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
What about transferring between hotels? Should I pre-book, or hailing a cab will be fine?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Ambassador;Lifetime Titanium; IHG Spire Elite; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist
The only time that you need to pre-book if from airport to the hotel. The taxis at the airport are more expensive. To go between hotels, take a cab. I have found it is cheaper to take a cab from the hotel back to the airport ($30 cab, $35 pre-booked van). I'm down there many times per season, so I have looked into all options.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 6:44 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Is it possible to do a same plane turn around in CUN?

I would arrive with AA at 7.45am on a Wednesday from MIA a and depart on same plane at 8.45am to MIA again.

Is there airside transit / transfer and / or is that possible to do? I am travelling hand luggage only.

Thank you.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by flyerdoc
This week I got a welcome call from the Westin Lagunamar. The concierge specifically told me not to take the taxi due to the price. She booked a car for us for $35. Private and direct...sounds worth the price!
We always book car service through the Lagunamar, and never had an issue. They are waiting with a sign as you exit customs. Well worth avoiding the scrum. Now this is night and day vs. Cabo where it is sometime difficult to find the driver and they pull stunts like adding other passengers to your van (a la supershuttle). But never had this happen in CUN.

Originally Posted by chris1979
Is it possible to do a same plane turn around in CUN?

I would arrive with AA at 7.45am on a Wednesday from MIA a and depart on same plane at 8.45am to MIA again.

Is there airside transit / transfer and / or is that possible to do? I am travelling hand luggage only.

Thank you.
I would not risk a one hour turn. I have never seen airside transfer - this is not LHR, FRA or MUC. Even though CUN is 2nd largest airport in Mexico (by traffic) it is a destination - nobody connects here. You will have to clear customs, then reclear security. The latter is pretty quick, but the former may take some time.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 3:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
I think you'll be fine with the time - but you'll probably be required to visit Migracin regardless - you can ask officials by stating "estoy en trnsito - salgo en una hora" or the like and ask for directions.

This is of interest to our members, so if you can add your experience here it will be of value and much appreciated.

Originally Posted by SKYEG
I booked a SDT here landing in March on a Saturday afternoon leaving 1hr51min after landing . Flying in UA leaving UA. Can I stay air side? If not, is this enough time on a Saturday afternoon? I'll have no bags checked and also be in J/UA pp.

Thanks everyone in advance
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by nologic
Moral of that story is it pays to have elite status or fly in first to cut the long lines for the ticket counter that are there for the 10a-2pm departures on US, AA, etc.
Elite status and/or F tickets are no guarantee of anything.

Again horrible lines this year on Friday after NYE, I can't imagine how it must have been last weekend with all the East Coast storm cancellations.

We waited >1 hour in the UA Premier/F line, my inlaws were in the general line for approx. 1.5 hours. If you are checking baggage there is no way to avoid the line.

Compare to 3 years ago when we waited 1 hour in the US F line.

CUN checkin is basically dysfunctional to the max, severely understaffed.

Also note that the prices are outrageous even by airport standards. $10 for a small bag of pretzels. $11 for a slice of pizza and a coke. Worse than any airport I've seen in the USA. It actually makes the airplane food look good (and cheap).
Old Feb 13, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Elite status and/or F tickets are no guarantee of anything.

Again horrible lines this year on Friday after NYE, I can't imagine how it must have been last weekend with all the East Coast storm cancellations.

We waited >1 hour in the UA Premier/F line, my inlaws were in the general line for approx. 1.5 hours. If you are checking baggage there is no way to avoid the line.

Compare to 3 years ago when we waited 1 hour in the US F line.

CUN checkin is basically dysfunctional to the max, severely understaffed.

Also note that the prices are outrageous even by airport standards. $10 for a small bag of pretzels. $11 for a slice of pizza and a coke. Worse than any airport I've seen in the USA. It actually makes the airplane food look good (and cheap).
Just got back from CUN. Traveling with another couple with no status both on Delta.
It took us about 2-3 minutes in the F line. Our friends were in the snail line and took 45 minutes. We arrived at the airport at noon and it was busy.
Price on food was high but similar to US airports minus the McDonalds and Burgerkings. Overall nothing was cheap in Mexico compared to US. In fact our MLT agent at the Hotel said when it comes accross the border prices double. I don't think it was that bad but we didn't buy any suveniors, will take Granchildren shopping Friday here for presents.
South and East Coast were having another round going through but had direct flights to DTW.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 3:00 pm

Thanks for this post, looks like I'll be allotting extra time to leave the Hyatt Zilara. Think I'll do an 11 AM pick up for my 2:40 PM flight to be on the safe side, and hope I don't get the poor experience others have with CUN.

How long does it typically take to get from CUN to the hotel zone and vice versa?
Old Aug 8, 2014, 3:37 am

10 to 20 minutes depending on where you are in the zone.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by KyRoamer
10 to 20 minutes depending on where you are in the zone.
Great, wonder if it's a bit of overkill leaving Hyatt Zilara at 11 AM for a 2:40 PM flight on a Monday.

Have not heard great things about CUN lounges, however excited to try out the Centurion lounge in DFW on the way down and back (3 hour layover).
Old Aug 8, 2014, 10:08 am

A little. Depends on day (Saturday bad as can be Fridays and Sundays), airline and your status. If flying first or business, status might not matter.

Weekend lines can be long. Without status you could need a full two hours maybe more. Even with status I'd be in line 1.5 hours early at the latest. Flying Selta as a gold I always left for the airport at least 2.5 hours out.

The business/priority pass lounge is ok. Finger sandwiched, drinks, chips and fairly comfortable.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 10:40 am

A little. Depends on day (Saturday bad as can be Fridays and Sundays), airline and your status. If flying first or business, status might not matter.

Weekend lines can be long. Without status you could need a full two hours maybe more. Even with status I'd be in line 1.5 hours early at the latest. Flying Selta as a gold I always left for the airport at least 2.5 hours out.

The business/priority pass lounge is ok. Finger sandwiched, drinks, chips and fairly comfortable.
A Monday in January in Y unfortunately due to no AA saver J. Doubting its worth the $27 to get a guest in with PP unless we have a couple hours to kill or are very parched.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by nrdk
A Monday in January in Y unfortunately due to no AA saver J. Doubting its worth the $27 to get a guest in with PP unless we have a couple hours to kill or are very parched.
Assuming that your entry would be free, the cost is just $13.50 each. A bag of chips and a drink costs almost that. That said, there is adequate seating by the gates and last time I was there the air conditioning by the gates was adequate. Still of you arrive at the gate two hours early, the quiet and comfortable lounge may seem a bargain.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 12:52 pm

Assuming that your entry would be free, the cost is just $13.50 each. A bag of chips and a drink costs almost that. That said, there is adequate seating by the gates and last time I was there the air conditioning by the gates was adequate. Still of you arrive at the gate two hours early, the quiet and comfortable lounge may seem a bargain.
Guess that is a better way to look at it, with $13.50 each rather than $27 to get her in Last time I went into a lounge by myself to grab a scotch, when we had 45 minutes at the gate, she was not thrilled.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.