Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

MEX - Mexico City International Airport / 🛫AICM🛬 master thread

Old Jul 2, 2014, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

GENERAL INFORMATION

"AICM" - Aeropuerto Internacional de la Ciudad de México
(Aeropuerto Internacional Benito Juárez)
Av. Capitán Carlos León S/N
Col Peñón de los Baños
Delegación Venustiano Carranza, DF
CP 15620, México

Phone: (+52 55) 2482-2424 and 2482-2400

Website: http://www.aicm.com.mx/home_en.php (English language version)

Link to AICM airlines information, including terminals.

Most comprehensive information: Wikipedia (Castilian Spanish)

Mexico City Airport Guide to lounges, sleeping, etc. by SleepinginAirports.net

Venustiano Carranza is one of the 16 boroughs (delegaciones) of the Federal District; it serves Mexico City, and is located 3.1 miles / 5 km east of downtown (getting there takes significantly longer than you would think; traffic can be very congested). The airport is one of the oldest, opening in 1928, and is limited by two runways at high altitude (7,316 ft / 2,230 m above MSL) and can not expand due to encroaching population. Recent attempts to open a new, higher capacity airport were ended by the new President, so this airport, Latin America's second busiest, will do for now.

NOTE: See post 380 (23 May 2018, by BenA) for information on the new automated passport reading kiosks in Terminal 2 and a shorter option to lengthy arrivals queues.

FLIGHT INFORMATION: http://www.aicm.com.mx/informacional.../fids/fids.php

CONNECTIONS: Check to see if you need to connect between terminals, and allow plenty of time for that. See MEX Connection Times international / domestic master thread

From an international flight to an international/domestic flight – Clear immigration, customs and security with any (retrieved at carousels) check-in baggage, then place your baggage on the flight connections carousel located on the right hand side, before proceeding to your departure gate.

If you are traveling on separate ticketing, you will have to go to the terminal airline ticket counter, check in and check your bags.

If you are connecting to the same airline to a domestic destination, you will recover your baggage once you arrive there. Look for the transit queue and processing.

From a domestic flight to an international flight – Proceed directly to the appropriate terminal and departure gate
([B.
Interterminal Transportation - Aerotrén / Air Train: The landside elevated Aerotrén APM (Automated People Mover) claims to move only those connecting passengers with boarding passes between Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. It consists of two to four cars, each with 25 passenger (with baggage and hand carry) capacity, per train, which travels at 28 MPH / 45 kph over the 1.9 mi / 3 km range. Time en route is 4:40 (min), dwell time in each terminal is 60 seconds, time between trains is 10:45 (min).

Aerotrén route

Interterminal Transportation - Landside red shuttle busses[/B] operate 05:00 (am) to 01:00 (am), also used during Aerotrén breakdowns, are labeled ""Transportación entre Terminales"; the stops are at entrance No. 6 of Terminal 1 and entrance No. 4 of Terminal 2. They are air conditioned, have luggage spaces and are wheelchair-accessible.

MEX airport map

ARRIVING: If you are arriving from an international flight without a connection (you are terminating at MEX), you must have your forms filled out - see Requirements for visiting Mexico as a tourist ("tourist card", visa etc.).

You may have a lengthy walk down the glassed-in arrivals corridor. This corridor has glass door controlled areas to allow people from the departures area cross through the arrivals corridor (like using an air lock), so you could be detained by a boarding aircraft. In one instance we were detained nearly fifteen minutes enough route from the 30s gate as a TACA flight boarded and our passage was blocked by glass doors.

Proceed to the corridor end and down one floor to the not-so-well marked exits for "Migración" and proceed to the sometimes lengthy queues to present your passport and documents. Your tourist card will be stamped and you will be given a portion back - turn it in on your departure (if you lose it, expect to pay a fine and have to spend some time with formalities). (When you check in at MEX, the form will be stapled to your boarding pass, and removed at the boarding gate - if somehow you do not have it at counter or gate, you'll have to return landslide and fill out forms and pay a MXN 307.00 fine.

Once your passport is stamped and your "Tourist Card" / FMM is validated, proceed to the baggage carousels and look for your flight to be displayed. Carts are available. Retrieve your baggage and proceed to "ADUANA", where you will queue up one more time. Normally, as you approach the customs kiosk, you will walk up to what looks like a small traffic light / robot and press the large button; a Green light means you can proceed, a Red light means further Customs formalities and inspection. You normally then put your bags on a conveyor belt for x-ray screening, As your bags have been x-rayed prior to delivery you no longer have the x-rayed upon exiting the Aduana hall, though bags may be selected for secondary screening; then you are landside in the arrivals floor scrum.

BAGGAGE STORAGE (link)

If you recover your baggage and have a layover, there are left luggage / baggage storage / GUARDAEQUIPAJE* at AICM, ~100 MXN per day.

*Goo-ARR-dah ek-kee-PA-heh

Terminal 1: Internacional area 10 between Gates 7 and 8, Area E-2; 24 hours a day.

Terminal 2: in front of the Domestic Arrivals area, 24 hours a day.

TERMINALS

Terminal 1 is the original terminal, and has expanded a number of times. Terminal 2 was opened in 2007, increasing the airport's capacity 40% from the frequently expanded Terminal 1. SkyTeam, including local member Aeroméxico, excepting Air France and KLM, are located in Terminal 2.

See this WikiTravel page for further information, including airlines and terminals: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico_city_airport

Terminal 1:

Premium Lounges in T1:
  • Salón Premier Internacional T1 (Aeroméxico - SkyTeam; Diners Club)
  • United Club (United Airlines, Priority Pass)
  • Admirals Club (American Airlines, U.S. Airways, oneworld - near Gate 23
  • American Express Platinum Centurión Lounge (near Gate 30 - much closer to AA, U.S. etc. departures than some of the airline lounges).
Hotels:
  • izZzleep microhotel, $170 MXN (under USD $9.00) for two hours, MXN $160 for a shower, etc. See IZZZLEEP
  • Camino Real Aeropuerto de México (connected to terminal 1-B by walkway - 600 rooms, budget) <link>
  • Courtyard Mexico City Airport by Marriott (connected by walkway and free shuttle to Terminal 2 - 288 rooms) <link>
  • Fiesta Inn Aeropuerto Ciudad de México by Fiesta Americana (Located across from Terminal 1 and offers free shuttles - 327 rooms, budget) <link>
  • Hilton México City Airport (Level 3, near gate F1 in the International arrivals area - 110 rooms) <link>
See this excellent page on Arriving in Terminal 1, from www.midwesternerinmexico.com.

Terminal 2: (Domestic subterminal and SkyTeam other than KLM and AF)

Premium Lounges in T2:
  • Club Diamante (Aeromar)
  • HSBC Premier Lounge (landslide)
  • Salón Premier Nacional (Domestic side - Aeroméxico - SkyTeam; Priority Pass; Diners Club; Airport Angel)
  • Salón Premier Internacional T2 (Aeroméxico - SkyTeam; Priority Pass; Diners Club, Airport Angel)
  • Riedel Wine Room (Aeroméxico)
  • Travel Pass Elite Lounge (Banamex/Citibank)
  • Centurión American Express Lounge (American Express)
Hotels:
  • izZzleep microhotel, $170 MXN (under USD $9.00) for two hours, MXN $160 for a shower, etc. See IZZZLEEP
  • NH Collection Mexico City Airport Terminal 2 (287 rooms, 6th floor)<link>

FOR HOTELS, LOUNGES, SLEEPING:

A fairly comprehensiveresource is www.sleepinginairports.net. Their intro page to MEX is here, and it covers everything from hotels to Lounges and ad hoc sleeping in airports. E.g. Avianca Lounge is 24/7 and day passes are currently available.

Izzzleep sleep capsules in Terminal 1 (140 MXN hourly, minimum two hours, WiFi, bathrooms, showers for 130 MXN fee - bookable via Bookings.com, Expedia, etc.) Landsude, just “past the entrance to the Marriott Courtyard, in/on top of the T1 bus terminal structure.” (Gracias to flugvergnugen)

OFFSITE TRANSPORTATION:

Mexico City Area Map (midwesternerinmexico.com http://bit.ly/1iTjS4P)

By taxi: The authorized taxi stands at the airport have "Transporte Terrestre" kiosks where you can buy a ticket to your destination, and then proceed outside to the taxi line to catch the taxi. DO NOT pay attention to touts or walk across the street to pick up unaffiliated or pirate taxis - kidnapping and assault are not unknown if you choose to do this.

Uber: see https://www.uber.com/cities/mexico-city; see post #146.

You may wish to read over this informative page about using taxis (and the various kinds of taxis available), with particular emphasis on Mexico City taxis.

Walking out of the airport - Taxi Sitio (Rank) (from WikiTravel - http://wikitravel.org/en/Mexico_City)
Be aware the airport is not located in the best area of the city, so it is not recommended for tourists to walk outside the airport terminal in search for cheaper taxi service unless you have pre-arranged your service. Definitely do not attempt this if you are not comfortable speaking Spanish. Despite this, an alternative Taxi Sitio (site) can be reached by using the overpass located outside of Gate D. Taxis here are about half the price of the official airport taxis and are considered secure. This is the Sitio (taxi rank) that is set up for the airline employees.
By Metro: If you have no luggage, you can use the Metro (Line 5 / Yellow Line, station Terminal Aérea) (serves Terminal 1 only - use interterminal shuttle bus to Terminal 2)and connect to your destination (most will connect to other lines at Pantitlán south, or Oceania north of Terminal Aérea). Tickets (and passes) can be purchased from kiosks, and cost $3.00 pesos per trip (~€ 0.15, or ~US$ 0.24). Hours are 05:00 a 24:00 weekdays, starting 06:00 Saturdays, and 07:00 Sundays and holidays. Website (Castilian Spanish).

Local Bus: The best local bus is the articulated BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) Metrobús Line 4 - the electrically-powered red bus runs in priority roadway lanes from 04:30 (am) to midnight), departures every 20 minutes, takes 30 minutes to downtown historic center / centro histórico, costs $30.00 pesos (about US$2.40 / €1.80) single / one way, has luggage space. Catch it on the ground floor of Terminal 1 opposite Gates 6 - 7, and Terminal 2 near the taxi rank on the ground floor / arrivals. Get your tickets from automated kiosks with peso coins or credit card; sweep your card past the validator as you board. See this page (English version) for details.

By Intercity Bus: There are stations in each terminal with reliable, economical and safe buses to various national destinations. See this page for the bus schedule, and for more on Mexican busses here: Bus travel in Mexico, the definitive thread.

"AICM Terminal 1 land terminal (Terminal terrestre de autobuses - open 24 / 7) is located in front of the international area vehicular ramp and its facilities include various services for the comfort of our passengers. Among others, it offers VIP lounges, internet, resting, reading and meeting halls. The terminal also offers a fast food area, shops, souvenirs and currency exchange offices.

The AICM Terminal 2 land terminal is located at gate D, between entrance 4 and the national arrival passenger exit, and its facilities include resting halls and a fast food area."

INTERCITY BUSSES:

- Autobuses del Oriente (ADO)
Tel: 5133-2424 and 01800-702-8000
Operations: 6:00 to 21:00 hrs. 7 days
Destination: Córdoba, state of Veracrúz

- Autobuses Estrella Blanca
Tels: 5786-9341, 5786-9358, 5786-9338 & 5786-9342
Operations: 24 hrs. / 7 days
Destinations: Pachuca, state of Hidalgo

- Autobuses Estrella Roja
Operations: 24 hrs. / 7 days
Destination: Puebla, Puebla

- Autobuses La Piedad
Operating Hours: 24 hrs. / 7 days
Destinations: Querétaro, Qro.

- Autobuses Pullman de Morelos
Destination: Cuernavaca, Mor.

- Autobuses TMT Caminante
Destination: Toluca, Mexico
Print Wikipost

MEX - Mexico City International Airport / 🛫AICM🛬 master thread

Old Feb 28, 2018, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JDiver
For questions like this, or when I’m stuck somewhere in OSO / IROPS, my go-to resource is www.sleepinginairports.net. Their intro page to MEX is here, and it covers everything from hotels to Lounges and ad hoc sleeping in airports.

E.g. Avianca Lounge is 24/7 and day passes are currently available. izzZleep sleep capsules in Terminal 1 (140 MXN ~USD $10 with taxes - hourly, minimum two hours, WiFi, bathrooms, showers for 130 MXN fee - bookable via Bookings.com, Expedia, etc. Add 19% for IVA / VAT and occupancy tax.
Thanks! But, I think the sleep capsules are airside? I will be coming from a connecting flight from Aeromexico and don't think I will be able to get through security without a boarding pass to stay there. Or are they landside?
Old Mar 1, 2018, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Thanks! But, I think the sleep capsules are airside? I will be coming from a connecting flight from Aeromexico and don't think I will be able to get through security without a boarding pass to stay there. Or are they landside?
Landside - if on their site you click where they're located (I did out of curiosity), you'll see they're right past the entrance to the Marriott Courtyard, in/on top of the T1 bus terminal structure.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:12 pm

Just had a friend fly through MEX a few days ago who said they were able to use a kiosk/machine for immigration. They do not have Viajero Confiable. Someone waived them over and asked if they were from the states and were told to use the machines. They said it cut down the time considerably compared to others in line. Any ideas what this is?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Just had a friend fly through MEX a few days ago who said they were able to use a kiosk/machine for immigration. They do not have Viajero Confiable. Someone waived them over and asked if they were from the states and were told to use the machines. They said it cut down the time considerably compared to others in line. Any ideas what this is?
In T2 there seem to be a series of unused machines between the Mexicans / Foreigners line, and there's also the VC on the far left (which I've only seen 1 person use). That would be quite a plus, if true, but I'd hate to try it while 200 more people crowd into the arrivals hall and I learn that I can't use it.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

delete
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
In T2 there seem to be a series of unused machines between the Mexicans / Foreigners line, and there's also the VC on the far left (which I've only seen 1 person use). That would be quite a plus, if true, but I'd hate to try it while 200 more people crowd into the arrivals hall and I learn that I can't use it.
For Terminal 1 it seems you follow the signs for APAC and walk to the very end of the hall where you will see a wall of glass. They may pull you out of the regular line once they see your documents/passport. To the side of the entrance they will ask if you are a mexican resident. If you are not they allow you to pass and use the machines. Took about 3 minutes to use the kiosk. Someone held my carry on luggage and assisted me through the whole process. A ticket prints out with your photo, much like the global entry process. You then walk down the hall and have someone exam the ticket and stamp your passport. Total process to less than 8 minutes.

Talk about a breeze! Flew in SAN-MEX with Alaska. Bags came out within 5 minutes of getting to the luggage claim. Re-checked my bagged (I had a mixed ticket with LATAM, but Alaska was able to check it all the way through to LIM). Headed up to security and there was no line. This was all around 12pm in Terminal 1.

JDiver, Thunderroad and flatdawgs like this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MEX Duty Free to USA (liquids) - are the purchases delivered to the jetway? Or do passengers bring their purchases directly from the stores?
Old Apr 27, 2018, 9:46 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
MEX Duty Free to USA (liquids) - are the purchases delivered to the jetway? Or do passengers bring their purchases directly from the stores?
That latter.
Old May 5, 2018, 10:58 am

Domestic transfer Guad to Mexico City to Toronto

I am looking at booking a flight from Guadalajara to Toronto. We stop in Mexico City as a domestic transfer. Is 1 hour and 5 mins enough time.

Thank you
Old May 7, 2018, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by cathlaur11
I am looking at booking a flight from Guadalajara to Toronto. We stop in Mexico City as a domestic transfer. Is 1 hour and 5 mins enough time.

Thank you
Likely yes, but it depends on your specific carrier combination, i.e., whether you can stay within the same terminal. If you have to switch terminals, then no.

Also, you need to have your tourist card receipt to surrender. If you lose that, it can take some time to get the situation sorted.
Old May 7, 2018, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
For Terminal 1 it seems you follow the signs for APAC and walk to the very end of the hall where you will see a wall of glass. They may pull you out of the regular line once they see your documents/passport. To the side of the entrance they will ask if you are a mexican resident. If you are not they allow you to pass and use the machines. Took about 3 minutes to use the kiosk. Someone held my carry on luggage and assisted me through the whole process. A ticket prints out with your photo, much like the global entry process. You then walk down the hall and have someone exam the ticket and stamp your passport. Total process to less than 8 minutes.

Talk about a breeze! Flew in SAN-MEX with Alaska. Bags came out within 5 minutes of getting to the luggage claim. Re-checked my bagged (I had a mixed ticket with LATAM, but Alaska was able to check it all the way through to LIM). Headed up to security and there was no line. This was all around 12pm in Terminal 1.
To add to this, they only seem to pull Americans out when there's a line. I went through yesterday around 5:30 or so and ended up going through the regular desks because there was almost no wait.
Old May 8, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Any idea what immigration lines are generally like on a Friday night at 7:30pm in July? Flying in on Aeromexico from JFK. I know any insight will be anecdotal, but nevertheless will be helpful. Trying to decide if I can make a 9:45pm reservation at Pujol. Thanks.
Old May 10, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: AeroMexico Club Premiere
Sorry for the late response - this is in fact true, still being rolled out (along with the new customs procedures ditching the red light/green light roulette.

I learned of this after waiting in CdMx (JFK-MEX T2-ACA, Aeromexico) for my luggage to no avail - I did not know about the new policy.

I think if your bag is tagged with a red (vs the old green in connection tag) - your bag goes right through.

The question I have is what do you do with any duty free booze you purchased? Will they let you through security with it now? Before it was pack it in your bag before you dropped it off on the conveyor - now I do not know.
Old May 23, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
To add a more recent report from T2 - the kiosks are definitely open for business for Americans transiting through MEX. A new bank of probably 20 of them has been installed between the foreigners and Mexicans queues for immigration.

Bizarrely, despite epic queues in both the foreigners and Mexicans queues when we passed through, the kiosk area was completely empty with nobody using them. An agent was physically blocking the entrance to the kiosks. We walked up to her and asked to use them, and she cheerfully waved us in after seeing our passports; from there, it was relatively painless. No idea why they aren't aggressively asking people to use the kiosks yet, but I'm not complaining if it turns into a de facto fast lane...

The kiosks operate very similarly to Global Entry; you'll need to provide all of your fingerprints on your first usage, and then future visits just validate one hand. The passport scanner can be a little flaky, so much like Global Entry or NEXUS, you may have to try a few kiosks before you find one that works if your passport is even remotely warped or bent. There's also a convenient option to process as a family at a single kiosk if you want to go that route.

The best part was that there was almost no queue to exit immigration once we had our confirmations. The immigration agent at the desk simply reviewed the paperwork, stamped our passports, and tore off the receipt - easy as pie.

A side note: if you see a queue to go up the escalators for security screening post-Customs, don't panic. At the top of the escalators, you're immediately dispensed into the security screening - there's no additional winding queue upstairs. We bailed on the pre-escalator queue to go landside and enter security from there, and while that worked fine, it probably wasted a few minutes over just staying in the transit inspection area.

We'd heard rumors of upcoming changes making intl-intl transit not requiring immigration screening, but that certainly doesnt seem to be the case - at least not yet. But the new kiosks make it a lot less painful, other than the wasted passport space.
JDiver likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BenA
We'd heard rumors of upcoming changes making intl-intl transit not requiring immigration screening, but that certainly doesnt seem to be the case - at least not yet. But the new kiosks make it a lot less painful, other than the wasted passport space.
I can't see how they accomplish that logistically at the current airport.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.