Reload this Page >

MEX - Mexico City International Airport / 🛫AICM🛬 master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 2, 2014, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

GENERAL INFORMATION

"AICM" - Aeropuerto Internacional de la Ciudad de México
(Aeropuerto Internacional Benito Juárez)
Av. Capitán Carlos León S/N
Col Peñón de los Baños
Delegación Venustiano Carranza, DF
CP 15620, México

Phone: (+52 55) 2482-2424 and 2482-2400

Website: http://www.aicm.com.mx/home_en.php (English language version)

Link to AICM airlines information, including terminals.

Most comprehensive information: Wikipedia (Castilian Spanish)

Mexico City Airport Guide to lounges, sleeping, etc. by SleepinginAirports.net

Venustiano Carranza is one of the 16 boroughs (delegaciones) of the Federal District; it serves Mexico City, and is located 3.1 miles / 5 km east of downtown (getting there takes significantly longer than you would think; traffic can be very congested). The airport is one of the oldest, opening in 1928, and is limited by two runways at high altitude (7,316 ft / 2,230 m above MSL) and can not expand due to encroaching population. Recent attempts to open a new, higher capacity airport were ended by the new President, so this airport, Latin America's second busiest, will do for now.

NOTE: See post 380 (23 May 2018, by BenA) for information on the new automated passport reading kiosks in Terminal 2 and a shorter option to lengthy arrivals queues.

FLIGHT INFORMATION: http://www.aicm.com.mx/informacional.../fids/fids.php

CONNECTIONS: Check to see if you need to connect between terminals, and allow plenty of time for that. See MEX Connection Times international / domestic master thread

From an international flight to an international/domestic flight – Clear immigration, customs and security with any (retrieved at carousels) check-in baggage, then place your baggage on the flight connections carousel located on the right hand side, before proceeding to your departure gate.

If you are traveling on separate ticketing, you will have to go to the terminal airline ticket counter, check in and check your bags.

If you are connecting to the same airline to a domestic destination, you will recover your baggage once you arrive there. Look for the transit queue and processing.

From a domestic flight to an international flight – Proceed directly to the appropriate terminal and departure gate
([B.
Interterminal Transportation - Aerotrén / Air Train: The landside elevated Aerotrén APM (Automated People Mover) claims to move only those connecting passengers with boarding passes between Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. It consists of two to four cars, each with 25 passenger (with baggage and hand carry) capacity, per train, which travels at 28 MPH / 45 kph over the 1.9 mi / 3 km range. Time en route is 4:40 (min), dwell time in each terminal is 60 seconds, time between trains is 10:45 (min).

Aerotrén route

Interterminal Transportation - Landside red shuttle busses[/B] operate 05:00 (am) to 01:00 (am), also used during Aerotrén breakdowns, are labeled ""Transportación entre Terminales"; the stops are at entrance No. 6 of Terminal 1 and entrance No. 4 of Terminal 2. They are air conditioned, have luggage spaces and are wheelchair-accessible.

MEX airport map

ARRIVING: If you are arriving from an international flight without a connection (you are terminating at MEX), you must have your forms filled out - see Requirements for visiting Mexico as a tourist ("tourist card", visa etc.).

You may have a lengthy walk down the glassed-in arrivals corridor. This corridor has glass door controlled areas to allow people from the departures area cross through the arrivals corridor (like using an air lock), so you could be detained by a boarding aircraft. In one instance we were detained nearly fifteen minutes enough route from the 30s gate as a TACA flight boarded and our passage was blocked by glass doors.

Proceed to the corridor end and down one floor to the not-so-well marked exits for "Migración" and proceed to the sometimes lengthy queues to present your passport and documents. Your tourist card will be stamped and you will be given a portion back - turn it in on your departure (if you lose it, expect to pay a fine and have to spend some time with formalities). (When you check in at MEX, the form will be stapled to your boarding pass, and removed at the boarding gate - if somehow you do not have it at counter or gate, you'll have to return landslide and fill out forms and pay a MXN 307.00 fine.

Once your passport is stamped and your "Tourist Card" / FMM is validated, proceed to the baggage carousels and look for your flight to be displayed. Carts are available. Retrieve your baggage and proceed to "ADUANA", where you will queue up one more time. Normally, as you approach the customs kiosk, you will walk up to what looks like a small traffic light / robot and press the large button; a Green light means you can proceed, a Red light means further Customs formalities and inspection. You normally then put your bags on a conveyor belt for x-ray screening, As your bags have been x-rayed prior to delivery you no longer have the x-rayed upon exiting the Aduana hall, though bags may be selected for secondary screening; then you are landside in the arrivals floor scrum.

BAGGAGE STORAGE (link)

If you recover your baggage and have a layover, there are left luggage / baggage storage / GUARDAEQUIPAJE* at AICM, ~100 MXN per day.

*Goo-ARR-dah ek-kee-PA-heh

Terminal 1: Internacional area 10 between Gates 7 and 8, Area E-2; 24 hours a day.

Terminal 2: in front of the Domestic Arrivals area, 24 hours a day.

TERMINALS

Terminal 1 is the original terminal, and has expanded a number of times. Terminal 2 was opened in 2007, increasing the airport's capacity 40% from the frequently expanded Terminal 1. SkyTeam, including local member Aeroméxico, excepting Air France and KLM, are located in Terminal 2.

See this WikiTravel page for further information, including airlines and terminals: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico_city_airport

Terminal 1:

Premium Lounges in T1:
  • Salón Premier Internacional T1 (Aeroméxico - SkyTeam; Diners Club)
  • United Club (United Airlines, Priority Pass)
  • Admirals Club (American Airlines, U.S. Airways, oneworld - near Gate 23
  • American Express Platinum Centurión Lounge (near Gate 30 - much closer to AA, U.S. etc. departures than some of the airline lounges).
Hotels:
  • izZzleep microhotel, $170 MXN (under USD $9.00) for two hours, MXN $160 for a shower, etc. See IZZZLEEP
  • Camino Real Aeropuerto de México (connected to terminal 1-B by walkway - 600 rooms, budget) <link>
  • Courtyard Mexico City Airport by Marriott (connected by walkway and free shuttle to Terminal 2 - 288 rooms) <link>
  • Fiesta Inn Aeropuerto Ciudad de México by Fiesta Americana (Located across from Terminal 1 and offers free shuttles - 327 rooms, budget) <link>
  • Hilton México City Airport (Level 3, near gate F1 in the International arrivals area - 110 rooms) <link>
See this excellent page on Arriving in Terminal 1, from www.midwesternerinmexico.com.

Terminal 2: (Domestic subterminal and SkyTeam other than KLM and AF)

Premium Lounges in T2:
  • Club Diamante (Aeromar)
  • HSBC Premier Lounge (landslide)
  • Salón Premier Nacional (Domestic side - Aeroméxico - SkyTeam; Priority Pass; Diners Club; Airport Angel)
  • Salón Premier Internacional T2 (Aeroméxico - SkyTeam; Priority Pass; Diners Club, Airport Angel)
  • Riedel Wine Room (Aeroméxico)
  • Travel Pass Elite Lounge (Banamex/Citibank)
  • Centurión American Express Lounge (American Express)
Hotels:
  • izZzleep microhotel, $170 MXN (under USD $9.00) for two hours, MXN $160 for a shower, etc. See IZZZLEEP
  • NH Collection Mexico City Airport Terminal 2 (287 rooms, 6th floor)<link>

FOR HOTELS, LOUNGES, SLEEPING:

A fairly comprehensiveresource is www.sleepinginairports.net. Their intro page to MEX is here, and it covers everything from hotels to Lounges and ad hoc sleeping in airports. E.g. Avianca Lounge is 24/7 and day passes are currently available.

Izzzleep sleep capsules in Terminal 1 (140 MXN hourly, minimum two hours, WiFi, bathrooms, showers for 130 MXN fee - bookable via Bookings.com, Expedia, etc.) Landsude, just “past the entrance to the Marriott Courtyard, in/on top of the T1 bus terminal structure.” (Gracias to flugvergnugen)

OFFSITE TRANSPORTATION:

Mexico City Area Map (midwesternerinmexico.com http://bit.ly/1iTjS4P)

By taxi: The authorized taxi stands at the airport have "Transporte Terrestre" kiosks where you can buy a ticket to your destination, and then proceed outside to the taxi line to catch the taxi. DO NOT pay attention to touts or walk across the street to pick up unaffiliated or pirate taxis - kidnapping and assault are not unknown if you choose to do this.

Uber: see https://www.uber.com/cities/mexico-city; see post #146.

You may wish to read over this informative page about using taxis (and the various kinds of taxis available), with particular emphasis on Mexico City taxis.

Walking out of the airport - Taxi Sitio (Rank) (from WikiTravel - http://wikitravel.org/en/Mexico_City)
Be aware the airport is not located in the best area of the city, so it is not recommended for tourists to walk outside the airport terminal in search for cheaper taxi service unless you have pre-arranged your service. Definitely do not attempt this if you are not comfortable speaking Spanish. Despite this, an alternative Taxi Sitio (site) can be reached by using the overpass located outside of Gate D. Taxis here are about half the price of the official airport taxis and are considered secure. This is the Sitio (taxi rank) that is set up for the airline employees.
By Metro: If you have no luggage, you can use the Metro (Line 5 / Yellow Line, station Terminal Aérea) (serves Terminal 1 only - use interterminal shuttle bus to Terminal 2)and connect to your destination (most will connect to other lines at Pantitlán south, or Oceania north of Terminal Aérea). Tickets (and passes) can be purchased from kiosks, and cost $3.00 pesos per trip (~€ 0.15, or ~US$ 0.24). Hours are 05:00 a 24:00 weekdays, starting 06:00 Saturdays, and 07:00 Sundays and holidays. Website (Castilian Spanish).

Local Bus: The best local bus is the articulated BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) Metrobús Line 4 - the electrically-powered red bus runs in priority roadway lanes from 04:30 (am) to midnight), departures every 20 minutes, takes 30 minutes to downtown historic center / centro histórico, costs $30.00 pesos (about US$2.40 / €1.80) single / one way, has luggage space. Catch it on the ground floor of Terminal 1 opposite Gates 6 - 7, and Terminal 2 near the taxi rank on the ground floor / arrivals. Get your tickets from automated kiosks with peso coins or credit card; sweep your card past the validator as you board. See this page (English version) for details.

By Intercity Bus: There are stations in each terminal with reliable, economical and safe buses to various national destinations. See this page for the bus schedule, and for more on Mexican busses here: Bus travel in Mexico, the definitive thread.

"AICM Terminal 1 land terminal (Terminal terrestre de autobuses - open 24 / 7) is located in front of the international area vehicular ramp and its facilities include various services for the comfort of our passengers. Among others, it offers VIP lounges, internet, resting, reading and meeting halls. The terminal also offers a fast food area, shops, souvenirs and currency exchange offices.

The AICM Terminal 2 land terminal is located at gate D, between entrance 4 and the national arrival passenger exit, and its facilities include resting halls and a fast food area."

INTERCITY BUSSES:

- Autobuses del Oriente (ADO)
Tel: 5133-2424 and 01800-702-8000
Operations: 6:00 to 21:00 hrs. 7 days
Destination: Córdoba, state of Veracrúz

- Autobuses Estrella Blanca
Tels: 5786-9341, 5786-9358, 5786-9338 & 5786-9342
Operations: 24 hrs. / 7 days
Destinations: Pachuca, state of Hidalgo

- Autobuses Estrella Roja
Operations: 24 hrs. / 7 days
Destination: Puebla, Puebla

- Autobuses La Piedad
Operating Hours: 24 hrs. / 7 days
Destinations: Querétaro, Qro.

- Autobuses Pullman de Morelos
Destination: Cuernavaca, Mor.

- Autobuses TMT Caminante
Destination: Toluca, Mexico
Print Wikipost

MEX - Mexico City International Airport / 🛫AICM🛬 master thread

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2008, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Reporting back: Had a change in schedule resulting in a 4 hrs layover. Immigration at around 2h00 p.m. was fairly quick, only about 5 mins wait. I guess it would have taken 15 - 20 mins total from arrival gate back up to check-in counters. In this case a 1 hrs layover (clear immigration, recheck-in, security and back to the gate) would have been doable.

Still wondering, if there is no way to get boarding passes airside.
Old May 25, 2008, 9:27 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
There are, IMO, too many threads on this issue - but MEX is changing its procedures now, with two terminals, as reported in this thread in the American AAdvantage Forum. The gates have no printing facilities for boarding passes, so there's no joy there.

Immigration / Migración is usually relatively fast and uncomplicated; waiting for bags can take some time and sometimes you may be given the incorrect carousel number - then Customs / Aduana is generally brief, with the "traffic signal roulette." But connecting can be a true hassle, especially if it involves transferring terminals.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 11:53 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Mexico City: Airport-downtown transporation

I will be arriving in the evening and am wondering what the best (safest) transport options are to downtown. I'm thinking of having my hotel pick me up. Could someone comment on the taxi service and how it works - is it organized or do you have to select from "touts." Appreciate all reassuring comments ! Thanks.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, Delta Base, AA Base
You exit the baggage/customs area and head to ground transportation (I think this was forward and then to the right) - Look for Door # 10 and there is a counter to pre-pay your fare. Hand your ticket to the usher guy and hop into a cab; done..... now the ride on the other hand, can take 20 minutes or so OR up to an hour or more depending on traffic/weather/time of day.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 12:35 pm

Programs: AC*E
Originally Posted by Braniff
I will be arriving in the evening and am wondering what the best (safest) transport options are to downtown. I'm thinking of having my hotel pick me up. Could someone comment on the taxi service and how it works - is it organized or do you have to select from "touts." Appreciate all reassuring comments ! Thanks.
It is very well organized and modern. Forget about most things you've heard before regarding Mexico City... Prepaid taxi fare is around 140 pesos to Downtown using the airport's authorized taxis
Old Jun 19, 2008, 2:24 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Originally Posted by plangis
It is very well organized and modern. Forget about most things you've heard before regarding Mexico City... Prepaid taxi fare is around 140 pesos to Downtown using the airport's authorized taxis

250 pesos (fixed rate paid in advance) if heading out to the western suburbs-Polanco.

Adding to the previous poster comments, the airport is super-modern, the taxi stands that sell the prepaid tickets are legitimate and the drive will be safe.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 1:03 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Thank you all very much.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 7:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Go to the Sitio 300 stand. Their taxis are less expensive and they are less likely to try to sell you a coupon for the, larger, limousines.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 6:20 pm
MGR

Programs: CO Gold, AA PLT, HYATT PLT
Hi. The previous posters are correct. I travel to Mexico City every 1 to 2 months (and have for many years). The airport taxis are very safe. I am a woman and usually arrive alone and have had no problems or fears.

You do pre-pay outside the terminal right outside Door 10 but that applies only to the old terminal (now terminal 1). I'm sure the new terminal (terminal 2) also has the pre-paid airport taxis, but I have not arrived there yet. Your terminal depends on your airline (DL, AM, CO are in T2) but AA is in 1. I can't recall other airlines.

By the way, the only time I got an airport transfer arranged by my hotel (always the Four Seasons), I felt like I was ripped off. The driver met me at arrivals, but then I had to walk with him all the way into the parking garage for him to get the car. There is no easy place outside of the parking garage for drivers to temporarily park their cars. Yes it was a nicer car but really makes no difference. And I am someone that usually pays for hotel airport transfer in other countries.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the update. Which terminal are UA, CO, AS now?
Old Jul 9, 2008, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Thanks for the update. Which terminal are UA, CO, AS now?
UA - T1
CO - T2
AS - T1
Old Jul 17, 2008, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by horse glasses
Me too. I don't think I waited at all, actually.

I love Mexico City, but I think I got lung cancer just from sitting in that airport for a few hours.
Oh boy, do I second that. Must be one of the most polluted places on Earth...
Old Jul 18, 2008, 6:27 am

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Originally Posted by horse glasses
Me too. I don't think I waited at all, actually.

I love Mexico City, but I think I got lung cancer just from sitting in that airport for a few hours.
I usually try to get to MEX a few hours before my departure...to get some walking in and...
...earlier this month I've discovered the Mexicana lounge, 4th floor, just above AA's Admiral's Club. What a great workout room -- free weights, weight machines, various treadmills, etc. The facility also offers friendly staff, snacks and drinks, shower, changing rooms, lots of Internet computers and great views of the runway.

Only $35US for a day pass, although a very reliable source informed me that "under a special arrangement, (AA) EXPs can use the MX lounge at MEX when traveling on AA or MX on the same day", although additional access may become available once MX joins OneWorld.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 10:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Arrow MEX - Mexico City International Airport / AICM master thread

MEX / MMXX - Mexico City International Airport - Aeropuerto Internacional Benito Juárez

Address: Aeropuerto Internacional Benito Juárez
Av. Capitán Carlos León S/N
Col Peñón de los Baños
Delegacion Venustiano Carranza, DF
CP 15620, México

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 3, 2015 at 4:50 pm
Old Jul 21, 2010, 8:05 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Taxis still safe in MEX?

I've got a reservation at the St. Regis and am wondering if this will work or if I should just go through the hotel for a car service.

Thanks in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.