Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Requirements for visiting Mexico 🇲🇽 as a tourist (FMM, "tourist card", visa, etc.)

Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Need
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

The immigration requirements herein apply particularly to US Citizens and residents, though Canadian requirements are similar and listed in a following post (#6). Citizens of other countries should use the TIMATIC link below to determine entry requirements for Mexico; TIMATIC is what the airlines use to see if you have met the entry requirements of your transit and destination countries (and whether you will board or not).

Visitors may be issued "Forma Migratoria Múltiple para Extranjeros", but most will arrive with FMMs printed previously. You can see the requirements for visitors to Mexico and have the FMM emailed to you at https://www.mexicotouristcard.com.

The document, abbreviated "FMM" or often called "TOURIST CARDS", are valid for UP TO 180 days (but check how many days you are given by the admitting immigration officer). You must retain the portion returned to you and turn it in upon leaving México. Lose it and you will be delayed (required to fill out paperwork) and fined.

Link to Mini-Guide for Passengers Arriving by Airplane (PDF, Spanish)

You can easily download the immigration form from the web, fill it out and turn it in. You’ll still need to retain one portion to turn it in on departure, and you’ll still have to fill out a separate customs form. See this thread.

These requirements could theoretically change at any time; please check with the INM link shown below, as this thread may not be up to date and relied upon for specific Mexican government requirements, though the OP will attempt to keep it up to date. PLEASE READ THE OP THOROUGHLY.

See this official page to learn what you can, and can not, import into Mexico

Updated 12/7/2022
While trying to fill out the FMM online, the following "New Advisory" showed up:

If you are flying IN and OUT of the following airports:
  • Cancun International Airport (CUN)
  • Cozumel International Airport (CZM)
  • Los Cabos International Airport (SJD)
  • Puerto Vallarta International Airport (PVR)
  • Mexico City International Airport (MEX)
You NO longer need to fill out the Forma Migratoria Multiple (FMM) also known as Tourist Card.

There are a few exceptions:
  • If you are flying to/from ANY OTHER airport in Mexico NOT listed above, then you may still need to fill out the Immigration Form "manually" when you arrive or depart from another airport in Mexico.
  • If you are visiting from a country that requires a VISA, then you still need to fill out the form. Please be aware that for the airports listed ABOVE you will need to fill out the form "manually" upon your arrival to Mexico.
  • If you are NOT a "visitor," for example, a permanent resident in Mexico, then you still need to follow the normal arrival procedures as before.
Print Wikipost

Requirements for visiting Mexico 🇲🇽 as a tourist (FMM, "tourist card", visa, etc.)

Old Aug 6, 2014, 4:28 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Yes. The airport tax is included in the price of your ticket these days. Now if we could only get Costa Rica to adopt that system, but that's another thread ...

Originally Posted by JDiver
Prior to or during your flight you should be given given two forms to fill out - one for Immigration (FMM or "Tourist Card" - be sure to fill out both sides) and another for Customs (Customs Declaration Form). The ~$20 fee is normally paid by your airline if you are flying on and is included in your ticket price. It will speed up everyone's passage if you complete these before you land. However, if you don't receive the forms on the flight, extra copies are always available in the Mexican port of entry (POE) airport (they may be in Spanish).
I'm probably one of the few people who goes to Los Cabos for work. I've noticed that upon arrival at SJD, they won't even let you in the immigration line until you show the "line dragon" that you've got your forms completely filled out. If you don't, he or she banishes you off to another area to fill out the forms, and don't you come back until you've done so. Then, and only then, are you allowed in line. At that airport, I think a lot of people get off the plane and think, "I'm in Cabo. It's time to party! Oh. Forms? What forms?"

Last edited by SJOGuy; Aug 6, 2014 at 4:33 pm
Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:32 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by SJOGuy
Yes. The airport tax is included in the price of your ticket these days. Now if we could only get Costa Rica to adopt that system, but that's another thread ...
Thank you for confirming. ^
Old Aug 6, 2014, 8:13 pm

You know, there's a little more to the answer than I said. If you are flying out on a regularly scheduled airline, the departure tax is included in the price of your ticket. If you're on a charter flight -- that might be the case at a resort area -- then it might not be included, and you'd have to pay at the airport.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 9:47 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by SJOGuy
You know, there's a little more to the answer than I said. If you are flying out on a regularly scheduled airline, the departure tax is included in the price of your ticket. If you're on a charter flight -- that might be the case at a resort area -- then it might not be included, and you'd have to pay at the airport.
Yes, flying out on UA from MEX, so I would imagine that fits your scenario.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:16 pm

Definitely. You should be fine. It's the tour-package folks on Apple Vacations or Thomas Cook Vacations who spend a week at Ixtapa or Manzanillo or something that might not have the tax already included in their fares.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
You should not have to pay for anything at MEX unless you have lost your tourist card (the card they gave you on entering the country). Replacement costs about $30us. There are currency exchange kiosks all over the airport and many ATMs as well.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 5:51 am
DP1

FMM stay days and how it works

Hi all I have a question regarding the FMM tourist card. If I get a certain amount of stay days granted whilst entering Mexico, can I somehow extend the number of days (upto 180 days) whilst still in Mexico? So basically is there a way to extend the stay days from the original granted stay days, if so how do I do this?

OR

If I declare say 14 days stay on my FMM but once in Mexico decide I want to stay for say 170 days do I need to inform someone about this or do I not, because I can stay for up to 180 days?
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:18 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Changes at border crossing - Passport required

Read about it somewhere a month or two ago, and it is true, at least at San Ysidro - Tijuana border crossing.

I love to get away from Dallas heat in the summer, and sometimes even non summer, and San Diego is a great destination. But $25 clean hotels it does not have

TJ, OTOH, does $2.50 Trolley ride to the border, another $2.50 back - the only drawback is the horrendously long wait for Immigration to come back.

Until now. On my previous visit only had to show my passport to enter Mexico, but this time, they put a STAMP in it May not matter to everyone, but my last passport was completely FULL a whole year before expiration, so had to get a new passport early
Old Mar 10, 2016, 4:02 pm

FMM cost question

I had a couple of questions about the tourist card (FMM) required for Mexico.
I'm a UK citizen with a 9 hour layover coming up, flying Aeromexico from Guatemala City to LHR via MEX.

I assume if I stay in transit in the airport during my layover I do not need a tourist card? However, I'm contemplating popping into the city to fill some of that time, for which I know I'll need the FMM.

In the original post it says
Prior to or during your flight you should be given given two forms to fill out...... The ~$20 fee is normally paid by your airline if you are flying on and is included in your ticket price... However, if you don't receive the forms on the flight, extra copies are always available in the Mexican port of entry

So whether I get given a form on the plane, or collect one on arrival, how do I know if it is included in the air fare? Where/when do I pay if it is not? My flight is an award ticket, if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance!
tb
Old Mar 11, 2016, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by thorbus
I had a couple of questions about the tourist card (FMM) required for Mexico.
I'm a UK citizen with a 9 hour layover coming up, flying Aeromexico from Guatemala City to LHR via MEX.

I assume if I stay in transit in the airport during my layover I do not need a tourist card? However, I'm contemplating popping into the city to fill some of that time, for which I know I'll need the FMM.

In the original post it says
Prior to or during your flight you should be given given two forms to fill out...... The ~$20 fee is normally paid by your airline if you are flying on and is included in your ticket price... However, if you don't receive the forms on the flight, extra copies are always available in the Mexican port of entry

So whether I get given a form on the plane, or collect one on arrival, how do I know if it is included in the air fare? Where/when do I pay if it is not? My flight is an award ticket, if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance!
tb
There is no "in transit" in Mexico. You formally enter the country upon arrival. I simply write "transito" on my form (for the local address) and have my connecting BP out for the immigration officer. Any taxes have been collected with my tickets, either with paid or award travel. Mexico has no formal exit procedure. Your transit card (lower part of the form returned to you) will be collected at the LHR departure gate.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 6:55 am

Understood. Thank you for the information Eastbay1K.
tb
Old Aug 8, 2016, 12:19 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Mexico has no formal exit procedure. Your transit card (lower part of the form returned to you) will be collected at the LHR departure gate.
Is that just for in-transit? Some airports, such as MID, have a formal exit desk where you hand in the card, get stamped, and they can (and sometimes do) ask a few questions. What constitutes formal in this case? Thanks for your time.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 7:53 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
Is that just for in-transit? Some airports, such as MID, have a formal exit desk where you hand in the card, get stamped, and they can (and sometimes do) ask a few questions. What constitutes formal in this case? Thanks for your time.
It is for visitors as well. You retain the card until your return flight. The gate agent will collect it prior to boarding. There are no other exit procedures or questions involved.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 10:20 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by LPCJr
It is for visitors as well. You retain the card until your return flight. The gate agent will collect it prior to boarding. There are no other exit procedures or questions involved.
But I am saying, I fly to Merida for business very often, and at MID it is not done at the gate, it is done in the terminal at a formal Federally manned immigration booth where they can, and sometimes do, ask questions on exit; thus my question above. In fact, my last trip to MEX, granted some time ago, and VER several weeks ago had the same Federal immigration officials at manned desks taking the cards well before the gate.

From what was said above, it seems like it is being promoted as always happening at the gate or by airline personnel which is not ('always') correct.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 8:10 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
But I am saying, I fly to Merida for business very often, and at MID it is not done at the gate, it is done in the terminal at a formal Federally manned immigration booth where they can, and sometimes do, ask questions on exit; thus my question above. In fact, my last trip to MEX, granted some time ago, and VER several weeks ago had the same Federal immigration officials at manned desks taking the cards well before the gate.

From what was said above, it seems like it is being promoted as always happening at the gate or by airline personnel which is not ('always') correct.
I stand corrected then. My experience is at CUN. I didn't see any manned immigration stations and the GA collected it when scanning BPs. I guess the procedure varies dependent on location.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.