Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Requirements for visiting Mexico 🇲🇽 as a tourist (FMM, "tourist card", visa, etc.)

Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Need
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

The immigration requirements herein apply particularly to US Citizens and residents, though Canadian requirements are similar and listed in a following post (#6). Citizens of other countries should use the TIMATIC link below to determine entry requirements for Mexico; TIMATIC is what the airlines use to see if you have met the entry requirements of your transit and destination countries (and whether you will board or not).

Visitors may be issued "Forma Migratoria Múltiple para Extranjeros", but most will arrive with FMMs printed previously. You can see the requirements for visitors to Mexico and have the FMM emailed to you at https://www.mexicotouristcard.com.

The document, abbreviated "FMM" or often called "TOURIST CARDS", are valid for UP TO 180 days (but check how many days you are given by the admitting immigration officer). You must retain the portion returned to you and turn it in upon leaving México. Lose it and you will be delayed (required to fill out paperwork) and fined.

Link to Mini-Guide for Passengers Arriving by Airplane (PDF, Spanish)

You can easily download the immigration form from the web, fill it out and turn it in. You’ll still need to retain one portion to turn it in on departure, and you’ll still have to fill out a separate customs form. See this thread.

These requirements could theoretically change at any time; please check with the INM link shown below, as this thread may not be up to date and relied upon for specific Mexican government requirements, though the OP will attempt to keep it up to date. PLEASE READ THE OP THOROUGHLY.

See this official page to learn what you can, and can not, import into Mexico

Updated 12/7/2022
While trying to fill out the FMM online, the following "New Advisory" showed up:

If you are flying IN and OUT of the following airports:
  • Cancun International Airport (CUN)
  • Cozumel International Airport (CZM)
  • Los Cabos International Airport (SJD)
  • Puerto Vallarta International Airport (PVR)
  • Mexico City International Airport (MEX)
You NO longer need to fill out the Forma Migratoria Multiple (FMM) also known as Tourist Card.

There are a few exceptions:
  • If you are flying to/from ANY OTHER airport in Mexico NOT listed above, then you may still need to fill out the Immigration Form "manually" when you arrive or depart from another airport in Mexico.
  • If you are visiting from a country that requires a VISA, then you still need to fill out the form. Please be aware that for the airports listed ABOVE you will need to fill out the form "manually" upon your arrival to Mexico.
  • If you are NOT a "visitor," for example, a permanent resident in Mexico, then you still need to follow the normal arrival procedures as before.
Print Wikipost

Requirements for visiting Mexico 🇲🇽 as a tourist (FMM, "tourist card", visa, etc.)

Old Feb 11, 2022, 1:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Barkley333
There are still a bunch of folks arriving who think the 180 days is automatic.
Well, they need to not be "thinking" and know, and look at their entry documents.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Well, they need to not be "thinking" and know, and look at their entry documents.
And perhaps Mexico should not be throwing obvious tourists into 2-3 week detention camps with illegal immigrants from Guatemala for making an honest mistake. It appears to be an intentional scam.
Old Feb 12, 2022, 4:25 pm

Programs: AeroMexico Club Premiere
FWIW, I had this on my last trip. I was to be there 21 days, they put down 28 clearly on the visa, I am guessing the extra was in case of a covid diagnosis, but that is purely supposition. I have heard anecdotally some people with stays closer to the limit are being asked for proof of funds, return tickets, etc.

It honestly seems like an odd/lousy time to be implementing this, given the potential uncertainty of when people can leave if they get diagnosed with Covid 24 hours before their departure date. I don't think I would be looked at kindly if I went to the immigration office to try and extend while I was sick...
jmrp likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 12:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by RFNJ
FWIW, I had this on my last trip. I was to be there 21 days, they put down 28 clearly on the visa, I am guessing the extra was in case of a covid diagnosis, but that is purely supposition. I have heard anecdotally some people with stays closer to the limit are being asked for proof of funds, return tickets, etc.

It honestly seems like an odd/lousy time to be implementing this, given the potential uncertainty of when people can leave if they get diagnosed with Covid 24 hours before their departure date. I don't think I would be looked at kindly if I went to the immigration office to try and extend while I was sick...
You can't extend it. You just pay the overstay fine when you leave. Since there's no covid entry restrictions even flying into Mexico, MANY people travel to Mexico and go into shopping centers and restaurants with full blown covid. So, it's not like they don't know tourists have it before they even arrive. The good thing is most people near KN95s that greatly help reduce transmission.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 5:37 am

You can't extend it. You just pay the overstay fine when you leave. .
Not arguing with you, but now genuinely confused. So let's say I get Covid, I can't return home until I am cleared, and my visa will run out before I get that clearance. I can't extend it, I can get jailed for exceeding it, but if I make it to the airport and pay the fine I am ok?

But I can only do this the day that I am leaving?

It just seems to me if I can only pay a fine when I am leaving, there is no way to be compliant. I can't return home, and I can't proactively "extend" (by way of paying a fine) my visa to be compliant while I am recovering/awaiting clearance to leave. Under circumstances that given the pandemic are entirely plausible. Do I have that correct?

Old Feb 14, 2022, 5:45 am

Not arguing with you, but now genuinely confused. So let's say I get Covid, I can't return home until I am cleared, and my visa will run out before I get that clearance. I can't extend it, I can get jailed for exceeding it, but if I make it to the airport and pay the fine I am ok?

But I can only do this the day that I am leaving?

It just seems to me if I can only pay a fine when I am leaving, there is no way to be compliant. I can't return home, and I can't proactively "extend" (by way of paying a fine) my visa to be compliant while I am recovering/awaiting clearance to leave. Under circumstances that given the pandemic are entirely plausible. Do I have that correct?

COVID isn't any difference than somebody who has a heart attack and ends up in the hospital and overstays their visa on arrival. They pay the the fee when they leave. Just keep documentation such as positive covid test and don't travel around and hope all is well. There's no extension to any visa upon arrival regardless of the circumstances. In knowing this you can not travel to Mexico and pick a country who has an extension.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 10:51 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
This is the first I am hearing of this and it is astounding, shocking even. Why would they declare war on tourists?

Directly jailing from street enforcement actions tourists who have followed the process and who were legally admitted, are clearly tourists and not a risk of staying permanently to take jobs from citizens/residents or be a drain on social services is really outrageous, especially when considering tourists are major portion of overall Mexican economy.

To do this, without VERY clearly informing tourists at the point of admittance that their authorized length of stay is entirely at the whim of the immigration officer one encounters at the port of entry so the tourist better darn well check and double check that the authorized length of stay actually matches the tourist's intended itinerary and has at least 14 extra days built in for COVID quarantine/isolation, is disgusting. I could be wrong as I have only traveled in the western hemisphere but I believe it is quite common for most, in not almost all countries with significant tourist traffic, to have 180 days as the normal regular limit on stays.

Even the USA does not do this for almost all folks that are found to be present in-country without/outside of authorization - the most common exception being for those who are involved in violence or other serious crimes. And yes, there is way more scrutiny and immigration enforcement in the southern border areas, particularly Texas, but even then most of that is catch/release with orders to report for court and it certainly is not happening in the major tourist areas in other parts of the country.

And I find it very easy to understand how someone on holiday, probably traveling as a family or other very small group without a professional guide, could ignorantly enter the country unaware of the need to double check that the immigration officer hasnt capriciously and arbitrarily put 7 days on the FMM instead of 2 weeks for the scheduled itinerary with another 2 weeks added in case of medical complications.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 11:16 am

" I could be wrong as I have only traveled in the western hemisphere but I believe it is quite common for most, in not almost all countries with significant tourist traffic, to have 180 days as the normal regular limit on stays."

90 days is the norm or less in mostly every country I've visited. Many are 30 days with a paid renewal for an additional 30 days or 90 days and that's it.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 3:46 pm

There's no extension to any visa upon arrival regardless of the circumstances. In knowing this you can not travel to Mexico and pick a country who has an extension.
I am in Mexico as a tourist.

Can I extend my stay in Mexico?

You need to go to any INM office to request an extension of your visa. You need to have with you your valid passport and the tourist card you filled out. You will also need to prove that you can finance your stay and you will have to pay a fee to extend the visa.

This procedure takes only a few minutes.

https://embamex.sre.gob.mx/irlanda/i...d%20the%20visa.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 7:45 pm

But, this is current reality: (based on this case)
​​​​​​
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi..._and_Gulf.html
Old Feb 15, 2022, 2:22 am

Based on that post, it appears that the original poster with the two-week visa managed to stay until January, and the only comment they made is that they were very strict about it - I am assuming about providing financials, which was their original question.
I don't think the one comment from a Trip advisor member with 4 posts claiming they had no luck has the same weight as policy published on the government's web page.
We can agree to disagree.
mfranzwa likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 10:17 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
" I could be wrong as I have only traveled in the western hemisphere but I believe it is quite common for most, in not almost all countries with significant tourist traffic, to have 180 days as the normal regular limit on stays."

90 days is the norm or less in mostly every country I've visited. Many are 30 days with a paid renewal for an additional 30 days or 90 days and that's it.
yeah, you are right, I got so caught up in my rant i didnt realize I was stating 6 months instead of 3.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 2:50 pm

Based on that post, it appears that the original poster with the two-week visa managed to stay until January, and the only comment they made is that they were very strict about it - I am assuming about providing financials, which was their original question.
I don't think the one comment from a Trip advisor member with 4 posts claiming they had no luck has the same weight as policy published on the government's web page.
In the Playa del Carmen/Cancun offices of INM, they will extend/issue a new 180-day FMM to folks who originally received an FMM for 180 days. However, if your initial FMM is for less than 180 days, you cannot either get it extended or get a new one issued while in country. You have to leave before the initial FMM expires.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 3:23 pm

This is a real thing now. https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...Peninsula.html
Old Apr 29, 2022, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA, AS, Volaris, VivaAerobús
Originally Posted by Kuchingite
Has anyone flow to Mexico with just an EDL or Global Entry?
Neither of those are acceptable to enter Mexico. Those documents only count when you are entering the US from land or sea. It's not likely that any airline will accept you as a passenger if you only have these documents on the day of your flight to Mexico.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.