Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Requirements for visiting Mexico 🇲🇽 as a tourist (FMM, "tourist card", visa, etc.)

Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Need
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

The immigration requirements herein apply particularly to US Citizens and residents, though Canadian requirements are similar and listed in a following post (#6). Citizens of other countries should use the TIMATIC link below to determine entry requirements for Mexico; TIMATIC is what the airlines use to see if you have met the entry requirements of your transit and destination countries (and whether you will board or not).

Visitors may be issued "Forma Migratoria Múltiple para Extranjeros", but most will arrive with FMMs printed previously. You can see the requirements for visitors to Mexico and have the FMM emailed to you at https://www.mexicotouristcard.com.

The document, abbreviated "FMM" or often called "TOURIST CARDS", are valid for UP TO 180 days (but check how many days you are given by the admitting immigration officer). You must retain the portion returned to you and turn it in upon leaving México. Lose it and you will be delayed (required to fill out paperwork) and fined.

Link to Mini-Guide for Passengers Arriving by Airplane (PDF, Spanish)

You can easily download the immigration form from the web, fill it out and turn it in. You’ll still need to retain one portion to turn it in on departure, and you’ll still have to fill out a separate customs form. See this thread.

These requirements could theoretically change at any time; please check with the INM link shown below, as this thread may not be up to date and relied upon for specific Mexican government requirements, though the OP will attempt to keep it up to date. PLEASE READ THE OP THOROUGHLY.

See this official page to learn what you can, and can not, import into Mexico

Updated 12/7/2022
While trying to fill out the FMM online, the following "New Advisory" showed up:

If you are flying IN and OUT of the following airports:
  • Cancun International Airport (CUN)
  • Cozumel International Airport (CZM)
  • Los Cabos International Airport (SJD)
  • Puerto Vallarta International Airport (PVR)
  • Mexico City International Airport (MEX)
You NO longer need to fill out the Forma Migratoria Multiple (FMM) also known as Tourist Card.

There are a few exceptions:
  • If you are flying to/from ANY OTHER airport in Mexico NOT listed above, then you may still need to fill out the Immigration Form "manually" when you arrive or depart from another airport in Mexico.
  • If you are visiting from a country that requires a VISA, then you still need to fill out the form. Please be aware that for the airports listed ABOVE you will need to fill out the form "manually" upon your arrival to Mexico.
  • If you are NOT a "visitor," for example, a permanent resident in Mexico, then you still need to follow the normal arrival procedures as before.
Print Wikipost

Requirements for visiting Mexico 🇲🇽 as a tourist (FMM, "tourist card", visa, etc.)

Old Aug 10, 2016, 8:48 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by LPCJr
I stand corrected then. My experience is at CUN. I didn't see any manned immigration stations and the GA collected it when scanning BPs. I guess the procedure varies dependent on location.
Fair enough; I was, and am geniuenly curious as I will be sending more employees to other parts of Mexico this year, and going more myself expanding outside MID and VER. All biz travel though so likely no CUN :-( I'd guess with all the tourists in CUN it kind of makes sense to have the gate agents do it.

I do know they threaten one with fines if the form is not handed back in on departure.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 4:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
But I am saying, I fly to Merida for business very often, and at MID it is not done at the gate, it is done in the terminal at a formal Federally manned immigration booth where they can, and sometimes do, ask questions on exit; thus my question above. In fact, my last trip to MEX, granted some time ago, and VER several weeks ago had the same Federal immigration officials at manned desks taking the cards well before the gate.

From what was said above, it seems like it is being promoted as always happening at the gate or by airline personnel which is not ('always') correct.
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
Fair enough; I was, and am geniuenly curious as I will be sending more employees to other parts of Mexico this year, and going more myself expanding outside MID and VER. All biz travel though so likely no CUN :-( I'd guess with all the tourists in CUN it kind of makes sense to have the gate agents do it.

I do know they threaten one with fines if the form is not handed back in on departure.

The procedure at MEX was a formal one in the past. It appears the collection of the retained portion of the "tourist card" may be the result of a less centralized decision-making process (somewhat surprising in Mexico).

My advice:

Remind your employees the law requires them to keep the retained form until they depart Mexico; they can be fined if they fail to produce it on exit or if requested to present it by officials, and the procedure for getting the proper process done prior to departure in cases where the form has been lost can cause one to miss their scheduled flight.

Tell them the procedure for collecting the retained portion of the form may vary: they may have to produce it at a formal migración departure queue, or at the airline ticket counter. I'd go so far as to tell them if nobody has collected it by the time they board that they give it to the gate agents (even if they appear confused), as it is supposed to be turned in by law.

Though Mexico hasn't shown they track (or have the ability to track) returned forms, it is always possible they might begin doing so. As one who has dealt extensively with various state and Federal bureaucracies in Mexico for at least six decades as both a Mexican and as an American, I'd worry some bright, shiny day some petty burócrata will decide to create barriers for someone who did not have their (now) exit form collected upon departure - possibly impeding their return to Mexico and my ability to carry out my business as smoothly and efficiently as possible.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Does anyone have any experience with the relatively new online version of the FMM form ... that you can complete online and print before you fly?

Here's the English language version of the form:
https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/en/solicitud.html

And here's the overview page (in Spanish):
https://www.gob.mx/inm/articulos/fmm...aerea?idiom=es

It could be a way to save a bit of time, and to avoid the pains caused by the airline not having the forms on board your flight.

I'm intrigued to know if anyone's used this, and what the experience has been?
Old Sep 7, 2017, 4:29 am

Programs: AF Platinum, UA Platinum Million Miler Lifetime Gold, QR Platinum, HH Lifetime Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerJ
Does anyone have any experience with the relatively new online version of the FMM form ... that you can complete online and print before you fly?

Here's the English language version of the form:
https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/en/solicitud.html

And here's the overview page (in Spanish):
https://www.gob.mx/inm/articulos/fmm...aerea?idiom=es

It could be a way to save a bit of time, and to avoid the pains caused by the airline not having the forms on board your flight.

I'm intrigued to know if anyone's used this, and what the experience has been?
Hi All

I entered yesterday using the new online form. I filled it out online a week ago and printed it out. However, beware of this trick.

The form is a double-sided form. Even though you are not required to fill out anything on the reverse side they still need it.

And here's the important bit:

You MUST print out your online form as a double-sided page, not 2 pages ( like I had done ).

REPEAT:
The online form must be printed double-sided on 1 page. If you do it as 2 separate pages they will make you manually fill out a form.

I had done it as 2 separate pages, but fortunately while I was standing in the queue, I noticed they were giving another person a hard time about 2 pages and made him get back in the queue and do it manually.

On seeing this, while still in the queue, I grabbed a card and hand-filled it out. When I got to the agent, I handed her my online version to see what would happen and she waved a finger at me and told me no no no.

Luckily, I had the manual form and handed it so I didn't experience a further delay. ^

I hope this helps. And a tip: Take a pen with you.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:11 pm

Programs: Delta AmEx Gold, United MileagePlus Explorer, Former Delta Silver Medallion & United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by RabbitohRob
Hi All

I entered yesterday using the new online form. I filled it out online a week ago and printed it out. However, beware of this trick.

The form is a double-sided form. Even though you are not required to fill out anything on the reverse side they still need it.

And here's the important bit:

You MUST print out your online form as a double-sided page, not 2 pages ( like I had done ).

REPEAT:
The online form must be printed double-sided on 1 page. If you do it as 2 separate pages they will make you manually fill out a form.

I had done it as 2 separate pages, but fortunately while I was standing in the queue, I noticed they were giving another person a hard time about 2 pages and made him get back in the queue and do it manually.

On seeing this, while still in the queue, I grabbed a card and hand-filled it out. When I got to the agent, I handed her my online version to see what would happen and she waved a finger at me and told me no no no.

Luckily, I had the manual form and handed it so I didn't experience a further delay. ^

I hope this helps. And a tip: Take a pen with you.
I understand the FMME needs to be double sided, but does it need to be printed in color or does black and white suffice?
Old Apr 27, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by okamzikprosim
I understand the FMME needs to be double sided, but does it need to be printed in color or does black and white suffice?
B&W was accepted entering at PVR yesterday. Make sure when you print double sided to flip on the long side of the paper- the right half of the front is the exit "tear-off" to be kept with you until departing and should have the exit stamp box on the back of it. And since it will be torn off, should be ok to fold it in half in the middle between the two columns.

Filling out the form, the address in Mexico box has a very short character limit. It allowed the short hotel name and just part of the street address. Definitely no room for the phone number. Since the instructions said the agent will not be able to modify any fields, I didn't bother to handwrite in the remaining requested info.

Agent was very quick with the form. Scan, hit a couple keys on her computer, open to a seemingly random passport page, stamp stamp stamp, tear form and hand back. Next!

I should also add that there were both airline's staff and then immigration/airport staff were prescreening FMM forms along the walk from the jet bridge to Immigration. Both just glanced at our printed forms like it appeared we knew what we were doing. Hah!

Last edited by rustykettel; Apr 27, 2018 at 8:26 am
Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Online Customs declaration

Came across a link to the online version of the Customs declaration form on Trip Advisor, to compliment the FMM:

Welcome to Mexico
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:44 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Departure Mierda

Entered at Reynosa (terrestrial crossing). Paid a fee since I was leaving the region (to Veracruz and CDMX). Fine.

However, upon queuing at the gate for my flight from GDL (in transit from MEX), airline reps. said I had to leave the terminal to go to a “migration booth” at departures, in order to get an “exit by air” stamp on the immigration document. Good thing I queued up early, otherwise Colimal might have erupted in a new home.
jjbiv likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:18 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Came across a link to the online version of the Customs declaration form on Trip Advisor, to compliment the FMM:

Welcome to Mexico
Has this online Customs form been discontinued?
Old Jun 22, 2019, 8:21 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Normally, there’s no need to present a Customs Declaration (Declaración de Aduana) on arrival in Mexico. Many locations have “nothing to declare” and “items to declare” lanes, or you may be asked if you have anything to declare, according to information given by others and online sources.

Mexico Customs declaration may theoretically be done by smartphone. However, the website given doesn’t provide a way to do this, nor does the Aduana web site.

“Those traveling to Mexico can fill out their Customs Declaration (Declaración de Aduana) via Internet (sat.gob.mx), capture the QR code and show it to Customs, avoiding problems on arrival.”

In total, 151 mobile readers have been provided to diverse country entry points controlled by Customs in La Paz, Aeropuerto Internacional de la Ciudad de México, Mexicali, Cancún, Guanajuato, Veracruz, Salina Cruz, Guaymas, Aguascalientes, Monterrey, Piedras Negras, Toluca, Guadalajara, Querétaro, Mazatlán, Subteniente López, Progreso, Puebla, Dos Bocas, Acapulco, Lázaro Cárdenas, Torreón, Chihuahua, Tampico, Ciudad Hidalgo, Tijuana, Ciudad Juárez y Matamoros; Sonoyta, Ciudad Reynosa, Ensenada,
Manzanillo, Altamira y Ciudad Acuńa.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 7:35 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Wondering if this is still valid:

Please note that travellers who wish to visit Mexico (regardless of their nationality or itinerary), holding a valid, multiple entry visa for the United States of America, Canada, Japan, the United Kingdom or the Schengen Space countries DO NOT need to apply for a tourist, business or transit Mexican visa.

A friend of ours wants to come to Cancun with us in Dec and he has to bring his FIL who is staying with him. FIL hold an Indian passport with a multiple entry visa to the USA. I assume that FIL doesn’t need a visa to enter Mexico and should have no issues entering the USA upon return.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 12:14 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by anaggie
Wondering if this is still valid:

Please note that travellers who wish to visit Mexico (regardless of their nationality or itinerary), holding a valid, multiple entry visa for the United States of America, Canada, Japan, the United Kingdom or the Schengen Space countries DO NOT need to apply for a tourist, business or transit Mexican visa.

A friend of ours wants to come to Cancun with us in Dec and he has to bring his FIL who is staying with him. FIL hold an Indian passport with a multiple entry visa to the USA. I assume that FIL doesn’t need a visa to enter Mexico and should have no issues entering the USA upon return.
It is not clear to me if you asking for confirmation of your assumption or are you simply just stating your assumption about whether or not the FIL needs a visa?

In any event - here is the current list of countries for which Mexico does not require a visa: https://www.inm.gob.mx/gobmx/word/in...a-para-mexico/

What you are saying about not needing a visa if you hold a multiple entry visa for the USofA may be correct but contacting your nearest Mexican consulate for confirmation is a wise move because India does appear on the list of countries who's passport holders must get a visa to visit Mexico: https://www.inm.gob.mx/gobmx/word/in...a-para-mexico/

And of course, even having a visa does not mean the traveler is guaranteed to be admitted. Happens on a daily basis that folks are refused entry at the border.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
I wanted confirmation of my assumption that someone who might have used this avenue before. They plan on calling the consulate to get clarity either way and maybe some paperwork. They might have to carry paperwork with them that says the FIL is allowed entry.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 11:18 am

Hi, I'm a US citizen currently living in Panama. Next month I will have to travel to Canada for an emergency (essential travel) and my flight makes a stop in México. I came upon this site about Mexico tourist card for US citizens (visasmexico.com), do you know if this is a requirement also for connecting flights?
Old Jul 28, 2021, 10:26 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
As a US citizen presenting a us passport you do not need a visa to transit mexico. According to the mexican government website link below you will need to complete the very simple FMM form provided to you on the plane.

https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/toronto...up-to-180-days

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.