Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Requirements for visiting Mexico 🇲🇽 as a tourist (FMM, "tourist card", visa, etc.)

Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Need
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

The immigration requirements herein apply particularly to US Citizens and residents, though Canadian requirements are similar and listed in a following post (#6). Citizens of other countries should use the TIMATIC link below to determine entry requirements for Mexico; TIMATIC is what the airlines use to see if you have met the entry requirements of your transit and destination countries (and whether you will board or not).

Visitors may be issued "Forma Migratoria Múltiple para Extranjeros", but most will arrive with FMMs printed previously. You can see the requirements for visitors to Mexico and have the FMM emailed to you at https://www.mexicotouristcard.com.

The document, abbreviated "FMM" or often called "TOURIST CARDS", are valid for UP TO 180 days (but check how many days you are given by the admitting immigration officer). You must retain the portion returned to you and turn it in upon leaving México. Lose it and you will be delayed (required to fill out paperwork) and fined.

Link to Mini-Guide for Passengers Arriving by Airplane (PDF, Spanish)

You can easily download the immigration form from the web, fill it out and turn it in. You’ll still need to retain one portion to turn it in on departure, and you’ll still have to fill out a separate customs form. See this thread.

These requirements could theoretically change at any time; please check with the INM link shown below, as this thread may not be up to date and relied upon for specific Mexican government requirements, though the OP will attempt to keep it up to date. PLEASE READ THE OP THOROUGHLY.

See this official page to learn what you can, and can not, import into Mexico

Updated 12/7/2022
While trying to fill out the FMM online, the following "New Advisory" showed up:

If you are flying IN and OUT of the following airports:
  • Cancun International Airport (CUN)
  • Cozumel International Airport (CZM)
  • Los Cabos International Airport (SJD)
  • Puerto Vallarta International Airport (PVR)
  • Mexico City International Airport (MEX)
You NO longer need to fill out the Forma Migratoria Multiple (FMM) also known as Tourist Card.

There are a few exceptions:
  • If you are flying to/from ANY OTHER airport in Mexico NOT listed above, then you may still need to fill out the Immigration Form "manually" when you arrive or depart from another airport in Mexico.
  • If you are visiting from a country that requires a VISA, then you still need to fill out the form. Please be aware that for the airports listed ABOVE you will need to fill out the form "manually" upon your arrival to Mexico.
  • If you are NOT a "visitor," for example, a permanent resident in Mexico, then you still need to follow the normal arrival procedures as before.
Print Wikipost

Requirements for visiting Mexico 🇲🇽 as a tourist (FMM, "tourist card", visa, etc.)

Old Dec 14, 2022, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by iahphx
Yup, very simple and easy to enter and exit Mexico from CUN now (at least in Terminal 4). I was surprised/impressed. Now if they could only fix the intersection between the main coast road and the airport road (it's currently a huge traffic mess, so leave extra time for your flight, but they're working on it) I'd be doubly impressed.

BTW, I would not agree that "most countries" don't do an immigration check when you leave the country. From my rather lengthy experience, almost all do, except the USA. I'm trying to remember my most recent Canadian experiences, but they're a little hazy because sometimes you pre-clear US customs in Canada.
Canada doesn't do an exit check. Neither does the UK (anymore - on my first visit, when I departed in 1993 I did go through passport control at LHR and got a triangular exit stamp, but they must have ended shortly thereafter because on every subsequent visit since then, I've never seen passport control on exit), nor if memory serves Ireland. Seems to be an anglosphere thing, apparently. Can't speak about Aus/NZ as I've never been there.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA, AS, Volaris, VivaAerobús
Originally Posted by resolute
I have traveled to Mexico many times over the years, usually flying into some airport and the immigration seems pretty typical - passport check and scan on the inbound to MX. get the stamped immigration card you keep until you leave when the airline collects it.. However the land crossing combined with a flight from TIJ seems odd/confusing. Please help me understand it..

Recently I took 2 trips from TIJ, crossing the land crossing then flying from TIJ to MEX City and back. I chose to NOT use the CBX on either trip, but took mexican taxis to/from the land crossings. The first time i used OTAY Mesa, and the second time I used San Ysidro. This is sort of where the confusion started as things were handled inconsistently at each crossing on the MEX side. Both crossings into MEX were in the wee hours and I pretty much was the only person crossing at that hour (around Midnight to 1 AM in each instance..)
At that time, they don't really care...they're only there to collect a pay check and more likely than not, hate working nights.
If you had arrived 12 hours earlier they would be busy processing people...

OTAY - Crossed into MEX and there was a person (INM) who asked me if I had my documents and where I was going. I said to TIJ airport and then Mex City, so he took my passport and scanned it and wrote me out a "tourist card" himself and stamped it and gave me my half of it and sent me on my way. I remarked that the last time a few weeks later when I entered MEX City by air the INM people there didnt give me a tourist card, just scanned and stamped my passport and told me they quit doing the paper forms (which I was very happy about..). This person at Otay acted liked he had never heard of such a thing and just said they were still doing it.. So I took it and did my trip. On return to TIJ, I got off the plane went through baggage claim and passed the desk with "immigration" on it. As though I was coming from a Mexican city (domestic flight) I just passed on by doing nothing. However, you still had to put your bags through the X-Ray as if entering the country from an INTERNATIONAL flight...(odd..) before going out into the landside airport. Got my taxi and returned to Otay and crossed to US - asked US official if someone was supposed to have taken my copy back of the "tourist card" and he just replied "ahh, you can just trash that.."
And, at that desk sometimes you will be asked for your documents, that has happened to me before and other times, you see groups of people sitting in chairs...sucks to be them.
You were suppose to turn in the "tourist card" at that desk, but you can trash it if nobody is around.
You know why the x-ray machine is there for? Right?

San Ysidro - couple weeks later walked across at San Ysidro - went through the turnstile into Mexico and into dark Mexican immigration/customs area for foot traffic. INM person sitting in a booth but seemed half asleep when I walked up to him (had to wave to get his attention in an empty room..) and told him I was flying to Cancun "That's nice" he replied.. I asked if I needed a "tourist card" and he said "I don't have any right now... IF you want one you can get at airport, they have a booth when you go in" He waves me onward, I go around the corner and put my bag in Xray and go out and get taxi to airport. At airport I go to INM booth landside before entering security and ask guy about a "tourist card" as I am flying into the interior of Mexico (cancun) - he says he can give me one with there will be a cost of $600 pesos (like 30 US) - I question this as I have never PAID anything to immigration before in Mexico and found it odd. He just says "well, then yu can get one in Cancun probably if you want want one - no problem - the only place they are free is at San Ysidro and OTay crossing. Otherwise you have to pay" and goes back to his corner and keep watching a show on his phone (OK this is a new one..).. So I am like thinking to myself that I really don't care whether or not they give me one or not. I entered the country legally and properly through a designated crossing and will just go on with my trip - which I do with no problem. Besides, I had several stamps from prior visits in weeks prior so if anyone has a problem with it, they can just use one of those for reference. Upon return that night to TIJ, I exit the airport and pass the "immigration" desk in the baggage claim - no one seemed to be there anyway and then I pass the x rays after baggage claim which no one seemed to be manning at the moment. I just walk out into the landslide terminal and no one pays any mind. Get taxi back to San Ysidro foot crossing and cross back into US - no problem.

See above
That person probably has some FMM, but doesn't want to work or doesn't have them and can't help you.

1) Why is there an "immigration" desk and references to "immigration" etc. in the MEXICAN DOMESTIC portion of TIJ airport? TIJ is still legally Mexico, so why would they do any immigration checking in the domestic part of the airport? Same with the baggage x rays upon arrival from other parts of Mexico, I have never seem this at any other MExican airport when arriving domestically.. Its like they are considering a flight from MEX-TIJ to be an "international" flight and makes no sense..!
This is common in Mexico and isn't limited to TIJ. Major Mexican international airports have INM offices inside of them, in the past tourists who lost their tourist card would come here, pay the fine and get a new one to get out of the county. Still in effect, it's for minors who are Mexican citizens and are traveling with one adult other than the parent(s) or alone need permission from INM to leave the country, and foreigners who are Mexican residents also need to "check out" by visiting the INM office. Airlines will make sure the law regarding these situations are followed. I don't like the check out regimen as a resident of Mexico, just another chore to do at the airport, but that's the procedure that's been established for us.

At least, at the land border with US/Mexico, I "check in" at INM with resident card and US Passport (book) and drive back and forth or just stay in the US...
After that, I just bring my resident card with me...until I need to "check in"/"check out".

2) Why did the immigration person (uniformed INM person) in the landside booth at TIJ want to charge me for a tourist card but then when I questioned it, just handed me back all my stuff without having scanned or recorded anything and acted like he was indifferent with whatever I wanted to do? That was a new one too.
The purpose of the office...see above.
Back in the days, when I tried to do same thing, they told me that I'm ok.
I had valid FMMs that I used for Baja California or registered under my US Passport card and wanted to ensure I didn't have any problems when I traveled to the interior so I would approach them and show them the existing one and told me I was ok.

3) Is Mexico getting rid of the paper cards altogether? In my several recent trips, MEX City is no longer using them it appears for international arrriving passengers - just scanning and stamping passports. But (as per my experience in Baja) it seems very inconsistent elsewhere...
I'm sure the program will be expanded to the land border, but I'm not sure how people with US Passport Cards or other specialized cards used at the Southern Border will be handled because you can't stamp a card and you would have to some how let the visitor know how many days they can stay. Nor I am sure, how people who just drive in with personal automobiles be handled, which I presume they will continue to put the responsibility to check in on the driver and any passengers to visit the INM office.
For now, at least they are focusing on the major airports who are receiving large amounts of international arrivals...

The land border with the United States is mainly dominated with local traffic, people who regularly commute between the US and Mexico.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 12:17 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Hi all-- I arrived in Mexico City today. I was going through immigration looking for a stamp when they routed me through one of the eGates. So I got my passport scanned and then a little receipt that says I have to follow this QR code/link to generate a digital FMM to leave the country. I managed to fumble my way through that process, register my passport, etc., but when I go to click on "generate FMMD", there is no option to do it. Like it doesn't recognize my entry into the country or have my inbound flight information. Does it take time to filter through? Do I not need this form at all flying in/out of Mexico City?

I swear I've been to Cancun 50 times and never had to do this.
RFNJ likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 4:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by kac2138
Hi all-- I arrived in Mexico City today. I was going through immigration looking for a stamp when they routed me through one of the eGates. So I got my passport scanned and then a little receipt that says I have to follow this QR code/link to generate a digital FMM to leave the country. I managed to fumble my way through that process, register my passport, etc., but when I go to click on "generate FMMD", there is no option to do it. Like it doesn't recognize my entry into the country or have my inbound flight information. Does it take time to filter through? Do I not need this form at all flying in/out of Mexico City?

Make sure you save your arrival boarding pass information in the event you have issues leaving the country. The eGates is a new program and with anything new especially in Mexico there is bound to be problems.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 7:56 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I am in the same boat as you - those egates are at CUN now and my arrival receipt has a statement that I must use the QR code and obtain a digital migratory card or I will not be allowed to exit Mexico. Filled everything out and can’t even download the digital form. The fact that the platform is nearly all Spanish doesn’t help either.

I am going to ignore it and I am 99% confident 70-80% of the international passengers departing CUN will have the same issue to the point the authorities aren’t going to even bother with enforcing the requirement. I have kept my arrival receipt just in case.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 12:55 pm

I arrived in CUN from LAX and used the e-gates. There was something about a digital FMM near the e-gate, but no one else appeared to notice or care so I decided to ignore it as well. I actually left MX through CBX at TIJ and there was no check at all to leave MX, so I am glad I didn't bother with the digital FMM. Glad to see they are doing away with this silly document.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 6:05 am

Programs: AeroMexico Club Premiere

Same thing. E-gate, registered with my code, they have my passport info that I uploaded and verified, I can't generate FMMD either on mobile or computer. They don't have my arrival registered, and I can't register my arrival. Nothing.
I am just going to hand over what I have to the agent when I check in and figure it out.

Last edited by RFNJ; Mar 9, 2023 at 6:16 am
Old Mar 16, 2023, 12:04 pm

Hello all,
For US Citizens flying from IAH to BJX (Leon).
I am guessing they have to complete an FMM?

The FMM link in the wiki is only for arrivals via land borders. I am not able to find the FMM for air arrivals anywhere in the MX Gov site.

Will UA issue FMM forms on the plane?

Thank you for your help in advance.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 12:35 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ft4lyf
Hello all,

The FMM link in the wiki is only for arrivals via land borders. I am not able to find the FMM for air arrivals anywhere in the MX Gov site.

The form has been going through a phase-out period for people arriving into Mexico by air.

At most (if not all) airports, it’s no longer used.

Instead, you now just get a stamp in your passport. No form to fill out in advance, and no card to keep until you depart.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerJ
The form has been going through a phase-out period for people arriving into Mexico by air.

Instead, you now just get a stamp in your passport. No form to fill out in advance, and no card to keep until you depart.
OK thank you! that is great news indeed.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 3:48 am

Programs: AeroMexico Club Premiere
So an update my E-Gate experience. Entered in the country 2/23 via E-gate in T2 MEX. Got the slip. Left last Saturday 3/18. I tried doing the whole QR Code, registered, my arrival was not registered online so I could not print out anything.
Since I had the time, I went to the local Immigration office to talk to them, their response was "meh, it has the registration info on the ticket, just use that"
(As an aside, I had a valid stamp from a November entry good until May).
Upon check-in, I showed the ticket to the check-in agent, and that was it. I shoved the ticket in my pocket and was never asked for it again. During the security interview to my JFK bound flight, they didnt ask for it, or even check my passport for my stamp.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by ft4lyf
Hello all,

Originally Posted by FlyerJ

Here is the feedback:
IAH-BJX:
Customs form (one for each family living in the same address) - distributed during flight by United FA's
Immigration - No form required. Officer stamped 10 day entry for a 3 day stay (was asked about the duration of the visit).

The physical tag for checked luggage was collected at the exit of the customs clearance area.

Return BJX-IAH
United check-in agent verified that the pax did not overstay the visa duration. He wrote some illegible letters on the BP.
Then proceed to security. (scan BP for entry to the security); However, the scan did not work. Person manning the scanner checked the BP for those illegible letters and opened the area to enter security.
No exit immigration or stamps, etc at BJX.

PSA:
Immigration and customs took forever at BJX.
Only one line / officer for immigration and customs. (apparently staffed by the military??)
They were in no rush at all.

The last people off the plane may take up to 90 minutes to get outside the airport.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 7:38 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
Doesn't Mexico put an exit stamp on passport anymore? We flew out of CUN yesterday and didn't get one. They checked to make sure our BP & passport match, but didn't bother checking if we had valid travel documents to US. I am a green card holder and have experienced checks in many countries which have prechecked my US documentation before letting me check-in and board the flight.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 3:29 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by kash80
Doesn't Mexico put an exit stamp on passport anymore? We flew out of CUN yesterday and didn't get one. They checked to make sure our BP & passport match, but didn't bother checking if we had valid travel documents to US. I am a green card holder and have experienced checks in many countries which have prechecked my US documentation before letting me check-in and board the flight.
It is the airline's responsibility to ensure a passenger has the appropriate travel documents/is eligible to enter the destination, not the government of the country of departure; the airline gets a hefty fine for transporting someone without the appropriate documentation - not the government of the departed country.

Many/most western countries no longer stamp passports on exit - has been that way in some countries for decades. Some countries do have "positive" exit controls - they must actually give permission for someone to leave - which is why they check passports. Mexico is not one of them (neither is the USA).
Old Apr 10, 2023, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by kash80
Mexico never stamped on exit in the past 30 or so years I've been visiting. Doc check at check-in, or if in transit, at gate, and departure card (now phased out) collected at boarding.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.