Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Bus travel in Mexico, the definitive thread.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2013, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

The BUS? Really? Yes, really. Mexico has a very modern bus system (with some not so modern ones) with European busses with highly trained drivers, GPS positioning and reporting, cradle and even angled lie-flat seats WiFi, refreshment service, at-seat entertainment, etc. at reasonable prices (sometimes the pricing is lower than paying for gasoline and freeway tolls, never mind renting a car). Read this thread for more information on economical, safe intercity travel.
Print Wikipost

Bus travel in Mexico, the definitive thread.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:15 pm

Another tip - if you're riding second class or lower bus there is no reason to book before hand. Frankly, there will be seats - and if not you'll only be on for a few minutes before some of the locals get off. Thanks for the post!
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:18 pm

Programs: Aadvantage
Robberies on MEX/Queretaro bus

Sorry to mention this in this wonderfully extensive and informative bus thread---but there have been several robberies on the PrimeraPlus coaches between Mex Airport and the Queretaro bus station (in both directions). This is in spite of extensive security at the Airport, and more casual bag inspection in Queretaro. I live in Mexico and used to take these buses back and forth to the airport. I now use ETN into Mexico City and cab it to the airport.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 6:00 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
That is a good tip. The exception might be holidays, religious or patriotic, when things can get very, very crowded.

Originally Posted by KM123
Another tip - if you're riding second class or lower bus there is no reason to book before hand. Frankly, there will be seats - and if not you'll only be on for a few minutes before some of the locals get off. Thanks for the post!
Sorry to hear that, but it is good information to share so others don't get ripped off. Thanks for alerting us.

Originally Posted by Teresita
Sorry to mention this in this wonderfully extensive and informative bus thread---but there have been several robberies on the PrimeraPlus coaches between Mex Airport and the Queretaro bus station (in both directions). This is in spite of extensive security at the Airport, and more casual bag inspection in Queretaro. I live in Mexico and used to take these buses back and forth to the airport. I now use ETN into Mexico City and cab it to the airport.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
MEX to Puerto Vallarta

I was considering going on ETN until I saw that it would be a 12 hour overnight trip. Volaris has a couple of flights each day for the same amount of money. I LIKE bus travel in Mexico and have really wanted to give ETN a try, do you know which bus ETN uses on this route?

12 hour overnight bus or 2 hour flight on Volaris?
Old Mar 19, 2013, 10:14 pm

Bus or plane

Originally Posted by NC_Girl
I was considering going on ETN until I saw that it would be a 12 hour overnight trip. Volaris has a couple of flights each day for the same amount of money. I LIKE bus travel in Mexico and have really wanted to give ETN a try, do you know which bus ETN uses on this route?

Well I would take the plane, or break up the ETN trip with a stop in Guadalajara or somewhere else enroute. Every ETN bus I've been on has video screens, lean back seats with foot rests, 2 bathrooms, luggage bay, etc. A bag lunch and soft drink is included ---but best to buy something you like before you get on the bus.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

IMO regardless of what bus they use for the 12 hour trip, Volaris is a decent airline and will be less hassle IMO. ¡Vámonos! (ETN turiStár Lujo is what is currently running, from the schedules - and it will save you a night's hotel if you are looking at that aspect, plus they have reserved seats for women).

Link.

Old Mar 25, 2013, 1:09 pm

Programs: American, United, Mexicana, Continental
Originally Posted by Teresita
Robberies of busses seems commonplace, in some parts of the country. That's one of the reasons I confine my travel by bus to daylight hours ... to minimize the risk.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 11:35 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, LY Matmid
Mexico city airport to Toluca airport

I am looking to get from MEX to Toluca airport by bus. I know that there is service from Caminante but as their site is in Spanish I am not sure if the service is to the airport or somewhere in Toluca and then you need another type of transport to the airport

Any help from past travelers would be appreciated
Old Apr 5, 2013, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Caminante's Toluca bus station is TOLUCA (Calle Fidel Velazquez, esq. Av. Morelos - Fidel Velázquez St/ corner with Morelos Avenue), downtown Toluca.

Link to Google maps location.

For the Toluca airport, take a taxi from the Caminante station in Toluca (16 km / 10 miles); alternately, take a bus from MEX to the Observatorio / Terminal Central de Autobuses del Poniente in Mexico City, which offers a direct bus to the Toluca airport.

Hint, You can use Google Chrome and it will translate most websites on the wing.

Originally Posted by badatz
I am looking to get from MEX to Toluca airport by bus. I know that there is service from Caminante but as their site is in Spanish I am not sure if the service is to the airport or somewhere in Toluca and then you need another type of transport to the airport

Any help from past travelers would be appreciated

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 5, 2013 at 12:43 pm
Old Apr 7, 2013, 6:10 am

Programs: AA Platinum, LY Matmid
Originally Posted by JDiver
Caminante's Toluca bus station is TOLUCA (Calle Fidel Velazquez, esq. Av. Morelos - Fidel Velázquez St/ corner with Morelos Avenue), downtown Toluca.

For the Toluca airport, take a taxi from the Caminante station in Toluca (16 km / 10 miles); alternately, take a bus from MEX to the Observatorio / Terminal Central de Autobuses del Poniente in Mexico City, which offers a direct bus to the Toluca airport.
Is the bus that you mentioned as an alternative also from Camiante as I did not see that option on their website. Can you provide a link to the webpage for this bus
Old Apr 7, 2013, 11:58 am
Original Poster

The Toluca - Observatorio service does seem to be a Caminante offering <link>- described as a "shuttle" without the ability to purchase tickets online.

Toluca International's website (English version - link) "From the airport to get to Toluca there are two 'official' taxi companies. To Mexico City, there is a direct coach service to the 'Central de Autobuses del Poniente' of the city, also known as Observatorio.

To get to the airport, from Mexico City the direct coach service mentioned above is available."

Doesn't mention which company, but IMO it's likely to be the Caminante shuttle - a passenger van (Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 16 pax). On the Caminante airport website, select TIPOS DE VEHICULOS and then SHUTTLE.

Originally Posted by badatz
Is the bus that you mentioned as an alternative also from Camiante as I did not see that option on their website. Can you provide a link to the webpage for this bus
Old May 3, 2013, 11:09 pm

How to Book?

We fly into GDL on a Tuesday, and plan on heading straight to Ajijic. Saturday we will go back to Guadalajara via taxi then catch a bus to Puerto Vallarta.

My Aunt wants to take the nicest bus possible from Guadalajara to Puerto Vallarta. Which is the best? ETN or Primera Plus? And will we need to buy in advance? There will be 3 of us traveling together and would like to sit together. If we buy in advance where can we purchase the tickets?
Old May 4, 2013, 4:01 pm

ETN vs Primera Plus

We fly into GDL on a Tuesday, and plan on heading straight to Ajijic. Saturday we will go back to Guadalajara via taxi then catch a bus to Puerto Vallarta.

My Aunt wants to take the nicest bus possible from Guadalajara to Puerto Vallarta. Which is the best? ETN or Primera Plus? And will we need to buy in advance? There will be 3 of us traveling together and would like to sit together. If we buy in advance where can we purchase the tickets?
I live in Guanajuato state, and in this area, ETN is better than Primera Plus. ETN only makes scheduled stops. ETN is a tad more expensive which is reflected in service. Best to check online for total travel time of the ETN service vs Primera Plus. ETN to date has a better security reputation. But things can change. Are you visiting someone in Ajijic who can advise you? I bought ETN tix online, but was double billed and it was a nuisance to fix. Tix are sold locally at the bus stations, and at OXXO convenience marts. If you are going during a holiday time then it is important to book in advance. Again, you can ask your hosts or lodging in Ajijic to help with this.
Old May 4, 2013, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

I think Teresita has said it all - but at the station, you can usually select your seats from a seat chart at the ticket window - unless it is a high demand time. ETN / Turistar de Lujo show 5 - 6 hours of travel time Guadalajara to Pto. Vallarta, MXN 495 (USD $41.00) per person. Primera Plús is MXN 414 / USD 34.20, about the same times (in both cases dependent on non-, 1 or 2 stops).

¡Gracias!, Teresita.

Last edited by JDiver; May 4, 2013 at 10:07 pm
Old May 5, 2013, 12:19 am

I would think we could find someone in Aijic who could help us, I was just wondering if we is even possible to purchase them in Ajijic maybe at an OXXO?? or will we need to wait until we get to the bus station. My aunt has very limited experience traveling and I want to make this as stress free as possible.

We will be traveling from Guadalajara to PV Saturday in August.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.