Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

What happens to when a hurricane arrives?

Old Oct 25, 11, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC-SE MM, Bonvoy-Plat Elite, Fairmont-Pres, National Exec Elite

Looks like we picked a bad week to visit Cancun.

Rina is pretty much assured to hit. What happens in these cases? We are at Secrets Silversands. Do they get us to just lay low and stay in rooms? Evacuate to shelters? Cat 2, possibly 3 when it lands.

I would prefer to stick it out (lived through several on the east coast of Canada) but this is a new experience for us.

Anyone been in a similar situation?
Old Oct 25, 11, 3:25 pm

if you choose to leave today..kiss your credit goodbye. My daughter chose not to fly out to Tulum today from Toronto, but because the warning did not include today..she has lost everything. They recommended she travel to Tulum and risk being re-routed or cancelled and if they do land she can resume her holiday and keep her head down and watch for debris???? however if she chooses to leave once the storm hits then they will honour the credit..but either way she needs to do this for tommorow because the warning does not start till then!
Old Oct 26, 11, 5:07 am

Programs: Aeroplan ,Starwood,Priority Club,Amex Platinum,Airmiles,CIBC Gold
Originally Posted by bluenose77 View Post
Looks like we picked a bad week to visit Cancun.

Rina is pretty much assured to hit. What happens in these cases? We are at Secrets Silversands. Do they get us to just lay low and stay in rooms? Evacuate to shelters? Cat 2, possibly 3 when it lands.

I would prefer to stick it out (lived through several on the east coast of Canada) but this is a new experience for us.

Anyone been in a similar situation?
We are going to Cun next week..Wednesday to be exact and down to
Playa del Carmen. Please keep us updated on the situation,
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
SamCat
Old Oct 26, 11, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Extremelydisappointed - sorry to hear about that. Sometimes common sense seems to slip away.

Samcat - I bet u will be fine. As long as CUN is not damaged.

Today is hot with variable clouds. When the sun is out it is HOT. Unfortunately any outside furniture not being sat in is being put away and all outside bars are closed. Sandbags being made on the beach. They are preparing for a severe storm here for sure.

Will update tomorrow, pending Internet connection.
Old Oct 26, 11, 1:06 pm

Bluenose
Read today Rina has been downgraded to a Cat 1 hurricane. That's good news but it still is a hurricane and can make a mess of things. Tomorrow should be the day it hits and I guess we will know more then.
Keep us updated if you can.
SamCat
Old Oct 26, 11, 3:17 pm

One of AC's MEX-YYZ stopped in CUN.
A 319 was replaced by a 763 today on the CUN run.
Old Oct 26, 11, 8:06 pm

Hi Bluenose

Just read on trip advisor that the Mexico gov't has suspended all liquor sales effective 6pm tonight. Does that apply to the All Inclusives too?
Gads, if you ever needed a drink..........
Hope to get a report from you tomorrow.
We are still planning to fly in Wednesday. Just wish this darn thing would go away or hit and leave saspo.
Stay safe.
Cheers, Samcat
Old Oct 26, 11, 8:21 pm

Programs: American, United, Mexicana, Continental
October and early November are well-known to be times to avoid Cancun, the region, and southern coastal areas in Mexico. It's prime hurricane/tropical storm season. What can you do? Follow the instructions of hotel/resort staff.
Old Oct 27, 11, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Rina has slowed down, so nothing really new here unfortunately...

Not expected to get tropical storm winds until much later today. But now I'm worried about the future track (or lack of one).

Yes, booze stopped flowing last night at 10 PM! No idea when they are turning it back on. Staff are great, though, doing the best they can.

Will update later...
Old Oct 27, 11, 7:20 pm

There was an Oct 4th hurricane in 1873 and then again Oct 22, 2005 I guess that why "October and early November are well-known to be times to avoid Cancun"
Old Oct 27, 11, 11:10 pm

Rina has fizzled !!!!!

Well that was a nail biter!
So glad it's turned out the way it has. The hurricane would not have been the worst part, the aftermath would have been. Lack of electricity, A/C water supplies etc. Not to mention the devastation of the local people.
BUt it didn't happen.
We're one our way Wednesday and Bluenose, hope you enjoy the rest of your stay!!^
Cheers
Samcat
Old Oct 28, 11, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks, Samcat! Good luck to you!

Last night was quite the night. Alarms were going off all night. Massive rain and wind, but I have been through worse in Halifax.

NOAA says the storm is right on top of us as we speak, but I see blue sky and the bars are open. Departures are happening. It looks like all is right in the world.

What you lose in sun time in situations like this you make up for in new friendships. Still happy with the vay-cay.
Old Oct 30, 11, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by frankhi View Post
There was an Oct 4th hurricane in 1873 and then again Oct 22, 2005 I guess that why "October and early November are well-known to be times to avoid Cancun"
+1

;-)

Kind of like avoid ORD in the summer due to t-storms. And in the winter too.
Old Oct 30, 11, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by bluenose77 View Post
+1

;-)

Kind of like avoid ORD in the summer due to t-storms. And in the winter too.
I'm not a big fan of ORD anytime of the year.

Have been in Isla Mujeres for the last week and will be here for another month. Ferry boats stopped running for about 36 hours and lost electricity for about 6 hours. 90% of the tourists left the island but all of the american/canadian regulars and locals stayed. Just dealing with periods of rain and beautiful sun now!!
Old Nov 4, 11, 8:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
In the Maya Riviera and/or Cancun, Generally the hotel will move you to a conference center and set up shop with food..

When I was in Miami and there was hurricane warning, they moved patrons of hotels to shelters.. I was one of the lucky ones and just stayed in our room.. The hurricane ended up not crossing towards us..

Good that the hurricane dissipated and passed by..

Search this Thread