Wiki Posts
Search

monterrey worries

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2011, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: aadvantage plt
monterrey worries

I will be in Monterrey Mexico next month for 8 days on business. With all the violence that’s being reported, I am very nervous about it. I’ve been trying to get as much info as possible, and from what I read, tourist are not targeted. But tourist head to Cozumel, Cancun, etc….not much tourism in Monterrey.
Any advise from any member that has been to Mexico recently, Monterrey specifically?

Thanks,
Jen
Old Jun 16, 2011, 9:37 am

Programs: American, United, Mexicana, Continental
Originally Posted by trytoflyhigh
I will be in Monterrey Mexico next month for 8 days on business. With all the violence that’s being reported, I am very nervous about it. I’ve been trying to get as much info as possible, and from what I read, tourist are not targeted. But tourist head to Cozumel, Cancun, etc….not much tourism in Monterrey.
Any advise from any member that has been to Mexico recently, Monterrey specifically?

Thanks,
Jen
The issue isn't being "targeted," it's being in the wrong place at the wrong time - something that's next impossible for someone infamiliar with the area to predict.

I haen't been to Monterrey, recently. The best advice I can offer you is to remain in communication with the people you'll be working with, ask their advice and then follow it. Monterrey is part of the war/terrorism zone in Northern Mexico. I doubt your employer will be placing you at risk.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 9:15 am

Mexico Security

I agree with the above poster regarding the "wrong place at the wrong time" but disagree with their advice to follow the local staffs suggestions. Local staff in Monterrey (and other hotspots in Mexico) will generally downplay the violence and kidnap threat. They quite often will not have effective strategies for their own security other than some local information regarding what areas are considered "bad".

Monterrey is a beautiful city, but it is a city in denial of a threat that is not just restricted to bad-guys and locals. Get consultation from a US security consulting firm to at least get and idea of the actual real threat you will not be hearing from US news sources or the local associates. Most consulting firms will give you a good idea of what is going on for free.

Sean Jarvis
Secfor International
www.secforinternational.com
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:20 am

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I have an upcoming project that will include a few days in Monterrey.

In the past when traveling in higher risk markets (El Salvador, Colombia, etc.) it was with a large multinational company that took extensive security precautions (including drivers, 24 hour armed security, etc.) -and the accompanying consultants received the same protection.

This trip is for a local client who is downplaying the risk but has agreed to cover whatever precautions we consider necessary. Any recommendations regarding what we should require? In some countries, having obvious security makes you more of a target -is this the case in Monterrey or is a strong and obvious security presence preferred?
Old Sep 3, 2011, 8:06 pm

Secfor

Originally Posted by pbjag

In the past when traveling in higher risk markets (El Salvador, Colombia, etc.) it was with a large multinational company that took extensive security precautions (including drivers, 24 hour armed security, etc.) -and the accompanying consultants received the same protection.

This trip is for a local client who is downplaying the risk but has agreed to cover whatever precautions we consider necessary. Any recommendations regarding what we should require? In some countries, having obvious security makes you more of a target -is this the case in Monterrey or is a strong and obvious security presence preferred?
Sorry for the delay, this forum is not a regular stop for me. Hopefully your trips went well. As I mentioned above, locals will almost always downplay the threat. A security professional will look at each area to be visited, determine the main threats to the type of client, and arrange security with the appropriate signature. We also here from the locals, that security will make them a bigger target. If security is done correctly, the profile is almost nil. Those who are able to pick your low profile security personnel out are the same professional criminals that will go onto an easier target when they see they have a pro security team to deal with. more than 95% of all kidnappings in Mexico are conducted against victims with no security (this says something). The remaining 5% would most likely be a sloppy security team that the bad-guys thought they could deal with. This is when you see bodyguards getting kidnapped themselves.

There is a very definite system used by violent elements in this region. If you understand the threat, you understand how to avoid and in a worst case scenario counter them, and raise your chances of having a safe time down south.

Sean
Secfor International
Old Sep 8, 2011, 1:46 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Exclamation

Originally Posted by pbjag

From what I've seen, there are a lot of shootings while the intended victim is driving in a car. I would not accept an assignment if it didnt include transportation in an armored vehicle.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 1:19 pm

Programs: American, United, Mexicana, Continental
"As I mentioned above, locals will almost always downplay the threat. A security professional will look at each area to be visited, determine the main threats to the type of client, and arrange security with the appropriate signature."

My experience has been that locals, people with whom I've worked and/or have developed a relationship, will NOT downplay a threat. They're typically the first to provide the cautions. I wouldn't expect you to post any other answer, though. Your comments seem more self-serving than helpful. But, maybe I've misunderstood you.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 2:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by gomexico
My experience has been that locals, people with whom I've worked and/or have developed a relationship, will NOT downplay a threat. They're typically the first to provide the cautions. I wouldn't expect you to post any other answer, though. Your comments seem more self-serving than helpful. But, maybe I've misunderstood you.
^ 100% true. In DF, friends are the first point out where not to go, as by and large, Mexicans are targetted more than visitors (although not always the case). I am headed to MTY in a few days and will report back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.